Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Coyotes Jan. 10 The Fight Between the Brothers Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think the only change I'd make on those lines is to keep Stone on the 1st and put Chiasson with Legwand. I realize Stone made a few mistakes but he's still one of our best shooters and we need him in the top-6. Chiasson hasn't looked good enough to play in his place.

Love the Pageau line and the fact that Greening is back where he belongs(off the ice).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think the only change I'd make on those lines is to keep Stone on the 1st and Chiasson with Legwand. I realize Stone made a few mistakes but he's still one of our best shooters and we need those in the top-6 and Chiasson hasn't looked good enough to play in his place.

Love the Pageau line and the fact that Greening is back where he belongs(off the ice).

I also think Stone should be on the 1st line.

And hopefully Greening stays off the ice for the rest of the season.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
After yanking Anderson last game, you pretty much need to go back to him again just to show he's the guy.

If MacLean was still here, I'd be saying "But he's not our guy" as they continue to split the season pretty evenly. But I can't argue with you here.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
This is sad to read being that Lehner is suppose to be our future starting goaltender.

As long, as we have Anderson, Lehner will be on the bench. Thats why i am on "Trade Andy for good return" bandwagon. When Lehner starts to play majority of games, he starts to develop to true #1.

I also think Stone should be on the 1st line.

I like Stone. I dont even want to argue about his Einstein level hockey IQ, that was praised by many posters here. But he is not first line player. He is perfect #3 line player. IMHO. And actually we have only one legit #1 line player, who is Ryan. So we dont have legit #1 line. So I name Michalek-Lergwand-Stone as our #1 line, just to please you.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I think the only change I'd make on those lines is to keep Stone on the 1st and put Chiasson with Legwand. I realize Stone made a few mistakes but he's still one of our best shooters and we need him in the top-6. Chiasson hasn't looked good enough to play in his place.

I agree that stone should be on the top line with Turris as he's just flat out a better hockey player than Chiasson. Having said that, I can see why Cameron has the lines like he does. He needs to get Chiasson going and alex needs to be surrounded by talent to do that. Stone, on the other hand, is able to produce no matter who is on his line due to high IQ and his shot.

The thing that bothers me though is that Chiasson will get 18-20 mins and stone 9-13 which is not fair as stone has been one of our better, most consistent forwards and the stats show that

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree that stone should be on the top line with Turris as he's just flat out a better hockey player than Chiasson. Having said that, I can see why Cameron has the lines like he does. He needs to get Chiasson going and alex needs to be surrounded by talent to do that. Stone, on the other hand, is able to produce no matter who is on his line due to high IQ and his shot.

The thing that bothers me though is that Chiasson will get 18-20 mins and stone 9-13 which is not fair as stone has been one of our better, most consistent forwards and the stats show that

Agreed. Interesting to note that our new first-line player (Chiasson) has exactly zero points in the last 10 games - that's even worse than Greening - while our new fourth-line player (Stone) has 5 points in his last 10 games, including 2 goals in the last 3 games. Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with this. I think Chiasson is decent, has been working hard all season long, and needs a break.

Happy to see Mika and Ryan split up. Mika lacks consistent pace and isn't much of a puck distributor, and JGP should provide more flow between Hoffman and Ryan. At some point it would be nice to sit Legwand sit, call up Prince, and go with [ Prince + Mika + Stone & Michalek + Lazar + Condra ] as our 3rd and 4th lines.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just noticed this western game is a 7:00 start, for some reason I had it in my head that it was a 10 start.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Stone's been underwhelming in the last little while: he scored against Colorado but was also directly responsible for the first goal against

I'm fine with trying to spark Chiasson and, by extension, Turris and MacArthur and demoting Stone for a while

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Important game to lose. We're battling with the Yotes for a draft position.

I'd rather draft 14th than cheer for a loss.

I've been so torn on this subject, that I'm being pushed to beyond caring. We're in no man's land, with the team showing no signs of the ability to go on an extended run to get out of the rut. i.e. we aren't underachieving. This is just the team's ability. I just want to see them play hard.

I can't help it but root for the team when we're on the ice, but it'd be nice to drop a few spots.

lol.

you must love mediocracy

Loyal fan reasons to cheer against the tank:

-can't cheer for a bunch of losers
-can't cheer against my own team
-don't want the losing culture
-"look at Edmonton"
-Bonk's "cut my own leg off before I cheer for my team to lose" line or whatever it was :laugh:

etc.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If we lose this game I'm officially on board for the tank

I will still cheer for the team to win games but getting as high a pick as possible in a year where will simply not make the playoffs should be the goal

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see it as cheering for long term success.

Last time SJ had a top 5 pick was in 98, Detroit had one in 90, Boston has had one (not including ones they traded for) since 97. Philly bottomed out for a second OA pick, and it hasn't found them long term success. Long term success doesn't have to come from tanking. NYI and Columbus tanked for years, and it's proper management that's turning them around. Edm has sucked regardless of where they draft. The Sens turned into a contender by hiring a good GM, getting Martin to coach and drafting well in the middle of the round, not by drafting Daigle, Bonk and Phillips.

Edit: High picks are consolation prizes for the misery you went through, not the goal.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Last time SJ had a top 5 pick was in 98, Detroit had one in 90, Boston has had one (not including ones they traded for) since 97. Philly bottomed out for a second OA pick, and it hasn't found them long term success. Long term success doesn't have to come from tanking. NYI and Columbus tanked for years, and it's proper management that's turning them around. Edm has sucked regardless of where they draft. The Sens turned into a contender by hiring a good GM, getting Martin to coach and drafting well in the middle of the round, not by drafting Daigle, Bonk and Phillips.

That's all fine and good for those teams, but seeing as the Senators haven't managed to kick out any real elite talent from the draft in the last 5 years apart from Karlsson, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever to bottom out and draft a player that can make everyone around them better.

I know the team is young and guys haven't reached their ceiling yet, but can you honestly say there are guys on this roster that will become #1 centers and defensemen in this league?

Scouting has evolved immensely in the last few years so the chances of finding an Alfredsson or Marleau in the later rounds are slim to none now. Right now, if the team strategy isn't to sign free agents and use the draft to build the team, then high picks are required to do so.

I'm not cheering for losses, but I sure don't care about the team's current win one, lose one path to 14th place. I can't see how any fan of the team could be happy we're looking at a repeat of last year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's all fine and good for those teams, but seeing as the Senators haven't managed to kick out any real elite talent from the draft in the last 5 years apart from Karlsson, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever to bottom out and draft a player that can make everyone around them better.

I know the team is young and guys haven't reached their ceiling yet, but can you honestly say there are guys on this roster that will become #1 centers and defensemen in this league?

Scouting has evolved immensely in the last few years so the chances of finding an Alfredsson or Marleau in the later rounds are slim to none now. Right now, if the team strategy isn't to sign free agents and use the draft to build the team, then high picks are required to do so.

I'm not cheering for losses, but I sure don't care about the team's current win one, lose one path to 14th place. I can't see how any fan of the team could be happy we're looking at a repeat of last year.

Buf and Enstrom were 8th round picks, Pavelski a 7th, Subban, Keith, and Weber were 2nd rounders, Chara a 3rd Nyqvist a 4th.

Anaheim turned itself around with Getzlaf, and Perry, not Ryan. Philly while not doing so well now changed it's fortunes with Carter and Richards, and later Giroux, not JVR.

Tanking isn't what makes good teams good. Sure high picks are nice, but we aren't picking 1 or 2, or likely even 3. Odds change significantly once you get out of the top 3, and even more outside of the top 5. The marginally better pick won't help us; good choices will.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Still, it's always better to draft nth than n+1nth. But I will still root for a win, I'm just wired this way.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It would be amazing if both pairs of brothers fought or something.

0.001% chance of it happening, though.

Wish we had Z Michalek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad