Parise (17th overall)
Getzlaf (19th overall)
Giroux (22nd overall)
Perry (28th overall)
B. Richards (64th overall)
Datsyuk (171st overall)
Zetterberg (210 overall)
St.Louis (UNDRAFTED)

So half from the top 3, which is not a realistic spot for us even if we go full out tank. 1 from our best case tanking scenario, and the rest from spots we could currently draft from.

Lesson learned, top three picks are much more valuable, probably not worth tanking for number 4.

Karlsson2Turris*

Crosby (1st overall)
Kovalchuk (1st overall)
Stamkos (1st overall)
Ovechkin (1st overall)
Thornton (1st overall)
Lecavalier (1st overall)
Spezza (2nd overall)
Malkin (2nd overall)
D. Sedin (2nd overall)
H. Sedin (3rd overall)
Backstrom (4th overall)
Iginla (11th overall)
Parise (17th overall)
Getzlaf (19th overall)
Giroux (22nd overall)
Perry (28th overall)
Datsyuk (171st overall)
Zetterberg (210 overall)
St.Louis (UNDRAFTED)

I think it's fair to say this proves that tanking=elite players.

Nice job Bonk!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Totally disagree, and I was speaking in sports in general. Not just the NHL. You can find a multitude of examples in all types of sports, including the NHL, where the a veteran or any other player that could not keep up is usurped by a more potent player. A lot more than the one or two examples where the player is re-signed or played despite of being terrible at what he does. The Cleary example is another good one, but that is far and between.

Yes, but that's not cut throat. That is the nature of waning skill. I can't think of a single player that went out on top. They ALL play until they can no longer hold down a roster spot, not to mention the money is good.

That example is about as cut-throat as saying all life leads to eventual death.

There are several examples every year from every team, where management goes out of it's way to do something for a player, and rarely any examples where a player is unceremoniously dumped (Redden to AHL, Modano Stripped of C, Lou firing coaches on Christmas, etc...)

Just listen how everyone talks about each other, from management to payers, to broadcasters. This is not a cut throat business, far from it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why I should be able to trash people? Not wanting a particular player on the team is not trashing. It's my opinion. I can say it here. I can't it there. I can say it wherever I want. Doesn't make me a sheep. HF boards isn't my defence to why I can trash people. You sound ridiculous

I don't think I have any effect on the team through my posts. If I do. I mean I sincerely apologize to all the fans. My mean words (disagreeing with some team decisions) are bringing the players down

Bian, this was clearly a general statement, there are sooooo many rude and trashy statements (so and so is crap, so and so is garbage, so and so is not an NHL player, etc..). It is weird that people feel that they have a right to act this way, interesting that we feel this way as people.

You thinking that what you say makes no difference does make you a sheep, and the worst part is that it's your own doing.

The fact that you can't/choose not to follow the point I'm making speaks more about you, than it does about me my friend ;)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yes, but that's not cut throat. That is the nature of waning skill. I can't think of a single player that went out on top. They ALL play until they can no longer hold down a roster spot, not to mention the money is good.

That example is about as cut-throat as saying all life leads to eventual death.

There are several examples every year from every team, where management goes out of it's way to do something for a player, and rarely any examples where a player is unceremoniously dumped (Redden to AHL, Modano Stripped of C, Lou firing coaches on Christmas, etc...)

Just listen how everyone talks about each other, from management to payers, to broadcasters. This is not a cut throat business, far from it.

Meh, whatever you want to call it, it's the same thing. A player being replaced with a better player. Whether due to waning skills, injury, or age. If you want to call it something different, that's cool. Maybe cut-throat is a bit excessive but it illustrates that an athlete has that spot until someone else is better.

Phillips is at this point (actually you can probably make a case that he was at this point a year or 2 ago) where he should be replaced with someone better. There are players in the organization that are better. I.e. Wier or Boro.

It has nothing to do with personal attacks, nor some delusion of grandeur that these posts are emailed directly to Phillips for his reading. It's just reality of the current situation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bian, this was clearly a general statement, there are soon many rude and trashy statements (so and so is crap, so and so is garbage, so and so is not an NHL player, etc..).

You thinking that what you say makes no difference does make you a sheep, and the worst part is that it's your own doing.

The fact that you can't/choose not to follow the point I'm making speaks more about you, than it does about me my friend ;)
Did you say you were an English teacher? I feel as though you have discovered my true identity and found out I gave you a hard time in my career as a student

Okay. And so what if what I say or what someone else says makes a difference? Let's say I fully accept your point of view. Will we stop stating our opinions on players (Phillips as example). Should I (example) stop saying Phillips shouldn't be in the lineup every night( he isn't anymore. And has played MUCH better since being scratched some games) were on a discussion board. So should we stop discussion because it makes some sort of a difference? No. Were here to disagree. Whether it makes a difference or not.

UltimateHKY

Senators – Preview – Jan. 10th, 2015 (Game #41) @ Arizona

Don’t let Arizona hang around. We saw what happened against Philly, as the Senators couldn’t bury the Flyers when they had the chance. They had to settle for a shootout loss. On Thursday, Ottawa got snowed in by the Avs in the first period of play and they never recovered, losing 5-2. Tonight, Cameron’s troops need to get the upper hand in the opening frame, especially on the power play. The Desert Dogs have been killed by the PK all year long, surrendering the second most PP goals in the league. They are also one of seven NHL teams that have yet to win a game this year when trailing after 40 minutes and they are one of just two NHL teams without a point this season when trailing after two periods. So, in other words, don’t get off to a slow start.

Article here: http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-senators-preview-jan-10th-2015-game-41-arizona/

www.UltimateHockeyNetwork.com
@joshwald @UltimateHKY

Let us know if you have any interest contributing for us at UHN. We're always looking for more writers passionate hockey! [email protected]

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Meh, whatever you want to call it, it's the same thing. A player being replaced with a better player. Whether due to waning skills, injury, or age. If you want to call it something different, that's cool. Maybe cut-throat is a bit excessive but it illustrates that an athlete has that spot until someone else is better.

Phillips is at this point (actually you can probably make a case that he was at this point a year or 2 ago) where he should be replaced with someone better. There are players in the organization that are better. I.e. Wier or Boro.

It has nothing to do with personal attacks, nor some delusion of grandeur that these posts are emailed directly to Phillips for his reading. It's just reality of the current situation.

It's not the same thing though. The NHL is FAAAAAR from ruthless towards it's players.

What you describe is how life works in general in most industries, and even in our personal relationships. The only place where it takes a bit of a back seat is with family. And the NHL, like family, often honours players with extras years, special trades, and releases to accommodate them as people, and to reward them for their loyalty, even if there may be a young player who is looking a little better in the minors.

DEFINED: (of a competitive situation or activity) fierce and intense; involving the use of ruthless measures.

Cut-throat is cut-throat, it's not my interpretation of the word, it means what it means. If you don't mean cut throat, then we're not really discussing anything! Haha

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Did you say you were an English teacher? I feel as though you have discovered my true identity and found out I gave you a hard time in my career as a student

Okay. And so what if what I say or what someone else says makes a difference? Let's say I fully accept your point of view. Will we stop stating our opinions on players (Phillips as example). Should I (example) stop saying Phillips shouldn't be in the lineup every night( he isn't anymore. And has played MUCH better since being scratched some games) were on a discussion board. So should we stop discussion because it makes some sort of a difference? No. Were here to disagree. Whether it makes a difference or not.

Naw, I don't sweat the kids, they can't help being kids.

No, share on by all means, not that I could stop you even if I desired to. My point has always been about the abject rudeness of the "phillips is garbage" crowd. I did respond specifically and in general terms to your post.

I am not accusing you of these types of posts, and don't care enough to look anyways.

Personally, I'm a fan of arguing points, but keeping this in the realm of what can be defended, and refraining from insulting players for the sake of it. Criticism vs insults is the line I'm walking, that's all really.

It rubs me the wrong way, and so I occasionally respond.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Clearly, criticizing Phillips' play (who doesn't even read this forum or has enough million dollar bills not to care) is bad and hurts his feelings, whereas calling fellow posters (who DO read this forum and who DO care) names just because they don't like the mood of their posts is ok.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's not the same thing though. The NHL is FAAAAAR from ruthless towards it's players.

What you describe is how life works in general in most industries, and even in our personal relationships. The only place where it takes a bit of a back seat is with family. And the NHL, like family, often honours players with extras years, special trades, and releases to accommodate them as people, and to reward them for their loyalty, even if there may be a young player who is looking a little better in the minors.

DEFINED: (of a competitive situation or activity) fierce and intense; involving the use of ruthless measures.

Cut-throat is cut-throat, it's not my interpretation of the word, it means what it means. If you don't mean cut throat, then we're not really discussing anything! Haha

Yeah, maybe cut-throat is a little excessive, but it's pretty damn near that.

The end result is for the team to win. The human element does come into play, but like I said already if you look at examples on both sides you will see a lot more of a player being replaced by a better model than keeping the worst version just because he's "family".

Phillips is in this boat. He's been handled better by Cameron. This is what I see him. A 7th D that plays occasionally. If you can't handle that, then maybe you shouldn't be on the internet. The internet is serious business.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I wish there was a mute button on game day for tankers, their posts suck to read when we're gearing up for games. If you can't understand why, you never will.

It's not a "oh, if you want to win you want a craptastic mediocre team" versus, "I'm a better fan because I want us to lose and draft better"

It's more "stop being a coward hoping for loses, hedging your fragile future feelings, and cheer for the damn team to win when we play". You can enjoy the idea that when we lose, there is something that takes the sting out of it.

Cheering for losses is pathetic for a fan, no matter how you try and rationalize it. If you must do it, save it for after the game at least, have some rispek.

WHAT?! I thought that word was banned :laugh:

Maybe only on the main boards I guess? :laugh:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Clearly, criticizing Phillips' play (who doesn't even read this forum or has enough million dollar bills not to care) is bad and hurts his feelings, whereas calling fellow posters (who DO read this forum and who DO care) names just because they don't like the mood of their posts is ok.

More excuses for behaviour. "They don't read it so who cares", "they're rich so who cares". I care, I care about what that thought process says about you. You have no problem criticizing others, learn how to take some yourself.

Not sure I called anyone a name, though at least I said it to the person, and they are there to defend it. Anyways, whatever, my rant is done for a few weeks...

EDIT: I appears as though I did....

Sorry Bian, I should not have called you a sheep. I was very baaaaaaad.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
what wrong with that word

it's making fun of the montreal coach and montreal has always thought themselves to be better than us and can't take it. from the first round of the playoffs but it was ok to say walrus ;P we didn't care cause we crushed them physically and beat them as underdogs.

BTW what channel is the game on today? tsn5?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
More excuses for behaviour. "They don't read it so who cares", "they're rich so who cares". I care, I care about what that thought process says about you. You have no problem criticizing others, learn how to take some yourself.

Not sure I called anyone a name, though at least I said it to the person, and they are there to defend it. Anyways, whatever, my rant is done for a few weeks...

EDIT: I appears as though I did....

Sorry Bian, I should not have called you a sheep. I was very baaaaaaad.

Iz cool. We definitely do disagree on all this though.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm fully on board with Ice Tray. Some of the comments about players make me think the posters don't think of players as people whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they read it here or not I've always followed a rule that you don't say anything about a person unless you're willing to say it their face. That applies to speaking to other posters on here as well.

There's so many easy ways to use words to criticize a player without disrespecting him as a human, it just takes a little effort to do so.

I enjoy reading critiques on players with actual explanations on why you think they aren't playing well or why they don't have it anymore. There's plenty of posters who do that and that's what generates nice discussion. Then there's the other half that I just ignore because there's no real substance to what they say.

It's all about having good diction!

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
Crosby (1st overall)
Kovalchuk (1st overall)
Stamkos (1st overall)
Ovechkin (1st overall)
Thornton (1st overall)
Lecavalier (1st overall)
Spezza (2nd overall)
Malkin (2nd overall)
D. Sedin (2nd overall)
H. Sedin (3rd overall)
Backstrom (4th overall)
Iginla (11th overall)
Parise (17th overall)
Getzlaf (19th overall)
Giroux (22nd overall)
Perry (28th overall)
Datsyuk (171st overall)
Zetterberg (210 overall)
St.Louis (UNDRAFTED)

From all these drafts mentioned, who were the other top 3 picks? If you're going to compare validity of top picks, you should include all the top 3 picks from those drafts then see who's a bust and who's a boom.

However, this list does show that those players who are 90+ players are about 50% likely to be in the top 3.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm fully on board with Ice Tray. Some of the comments about players make me think the posters don't think of players as people whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they read it here or not I've always followed a rule that you don't say anything about a person unless you're willing to say it their face. That applies to speaking to other posters on here as well.

There's so many easy ways to use words to criticize a player without disrespecting him as a human, it just takes a little effort to do so.

I enjoy reading critiques on players with actual explanations on why you think they aren't playing well or why they don't have it anymore. There's plenty of posters who do that and that's what generates nice discussion. Then there's the other half that I just ignore because there's no real substance to what they say.

It's all about having good diction!
Too abstract: show me an actual disrespectful post about a player. Then I might agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad