News Article: Sens Badmouthing Coaching - Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would agree that Wideman and Duchene were taking most of the shots at the coaching staff.

I get that employees venting and complaining about bosses is common. But Wideman and Duchene are seasoned NHLers. They know better than to talk **** in public. They are celebrities, not random cooks beaking off about a sous chef.
They obviously don't know they are being filmed. Its not like they are on a podium.. they are just BSing amoung themselves

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's a bit disappointing to see a key vet like Duchene talk **** with rookies, and IMO it says more about him than about anyone else in the car. I know it's not the same work environment, but I've never talked bad about management to less senior employees at work.

It's impossible for me to picture Alfie or Chara sitting in Duchene's spot and acting the way Duchene did here. The young guys probably would have been terrified to say those things in front of them. Kids will be kids, but teams need leadership to show them how to become pros.
Concerning your second point........ lol.

Duchene is 27 years old. He’s a kid himself.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What would you want him to say?

"Hey come on guys, don't badmouth our coaches"?

Duchene isn't Borowiecki, he can see what's wrong. Ignoring bad coaching won't fix anything.
Curious to know if anyone on the team brought these issues up to the coaching staff.

I mean thatd be logical to do right. Knowing Boucher is stubborn but he can't be that naive.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
It's a bit disappointing to see a key vet like Duchene talk **** with rookies, and IMO it says more about him than about anyone else in the car. I know it's not the same work environment, but I've never talked bad about management to less senior employees at work.

It's impossible for me to picture Alfie or Chara sitting in Duchene's spot and acting the way Duchene did here. The young guys probably would have been terrified to say those things in front of them. Kids will be kids, but teams need leadership to show them how to become pros.

kinda weird how you're singling out duchene when wideman has been on the team longer than he has.. he's the senior employee here.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I think it’s pretty bad this is on camera. And I’m not sure what the coaches do about it. Or dorion. I mean. The pk and pp have been incompetent from the start. Never address. (It looks good this year). Change is needed.

The PP has been phenomenal

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
So you still think Matt Duchene is excited about spending 8 more years here? He believes in the plan?

Or will he probably sign with a team that has a good coach and can pay him more money?

He could believe in the core player playing with him and the young one coming but be totally against the way they are asked to play certain things like PK and defensive structure, etc.

Good coaching changes A LOT.

Look at NYI.. minus Tavares this year.. Barry trotz at the helm.. boom first in their division.. for now.
Good coaching is key IMO

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Where were these issues when we made it to the conference final. The coaches still ****ing sucked and the players banded together with karlsson saving their ass for half an hour and Andy saving their ass for the other half hour (Not to say the boys didn’t play hard, but they got that far in spite of the coaching “

So much this.

We got far based solely on the effort of our stars. Coaching had zero to do with it. Now that EK is gone, the real issues are getting exposed to the max.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Sad that it came out this way, but I don't blame any of the players.

What they thought was said in private, was exposed by a lowlife looking to make a bigger tip.

As for the vets and providing a teaching moment, they did. "Hey what you are getting now is not NHL coaching." is the lesson they are teaching. We all know that is true, coaching is poor.

PK - going to see some changes and soon.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
That's a true sign of a coach that will never win in the NHL. All the greats had something in common. The ability to juggle, and change "on the fly". Things never go as planned in life, and hockey is no different.

Those who win, are very fast at the art of adjustment. Work with what you have. Real leaders, will get the most of what they have.

Boucher's system does not work for the team that is on the ice. Sounds to me like management that has tunnel vision, and to loosely quote Einstein: "Expect different results, trying the same thing over again"

Ya I havnt listened to a word in three weeks. Clearly the system I dont know or follow does not work.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I would agree that Wideman and Duchene were taking most of the shots at the coaching staff.

I get that employees venting and complaining about bosses is common. But Wideman and Duchene are seasoned NHLers. They know better than to talk **** in public. They are celebrities, not random cooks beaking off about a sous chef.

They were in a Uber in Phoenix, for Christ's sake.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This embarassing video is very insightful, for multiple reasons. Primarily, it proves the discord between the team and coaching staff, and reaffirms beyond a reasonable doubt of the "we are a team" and all that crap as just a crock of bull.

There should be no discipline, this was a private discussion that got leaked.

The whole culture needs to change and it starts with ownership and management.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
That's a true sign of a coach that will never win in the NHL. All the greats had something in common. The ability to juggle, and change "on the fly". Things never go as planned in life, and hockey is no different.

Those who win, are very fast at the art of adjustment. Work with what you have. Real leaders, will get the most of what they have.

Boucher's system does not work for the team that is on the ice. Sounds to me like management that has tunnel vision, and to loosely quote Einstein: "Expect different results, trying the same thing over again"

To be fair.. Boucher does like to adjust when we take lead in a match

:sarcasm:

1-3-1

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
D’OHrion was not even right about being “a team”. Only he could get such a generic statement wrong lol.

Welcome to our paper bag days, folks.

Reactions: DrEasy

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
kinda weird how you're singling out duchene when wideman has been on the team longer than he has.. he's the senior employee here.

I guess I never really saw Wideman as a guy who should be a leader in the room, and he's a fringe NHLer so I don't really care. I do expect more out of Duchene though: 28 in a couple months, a vet of almost 700 games, and about to sign a $50M deal. IMO guys like that have to set the tone.

Reactions: SenatorsHockey

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I feel bad for the coach getting roasted here. Argue his performance and the performance of the coaching staff all you want but he's still a guy just trying to do his job. Must be a kick in the nuts to be publically disrespected by a bunch of kids like this.

I get that the conversation was meant to be kept private (and the driver is a massive POS for releasing this at all) but professional athletes can be more respectful to their coaches even if they don't agree with what they're selling.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but even if the crap they're saying about Raymond is true and he's not a good coach I don't think anybody deserves that. Very immature behavior from the players.

Overall this is just bad for everybody involved.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm pretty disappointed in Duchene in the vid. It's obvious Wideman was the main instigator, with Duchene right up there. The rest of the guys are pretty tame.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it's great to get an insight into what the players think, but the uber driver shouldn't have posted this. I hope the players are letting Dorion know and that the GM is listening if the players feel this strongly.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Just fire Boucher already. Things will only get worse when the losses keep on piling

I have asked that question om another thread but who could be available right now?

I think if Boucher is fired, we need to find a competent experience coach who has shown to have result ASAP pr Bye bye stone and Duch.

Who could be available??

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I feel bad for the coach getting roasted here. Argue his performance and the performance of the coaching staff all you want but he's still a guy just trying to do his job. Must be a kick in the nuts to be publically disrespected by a bunch of kids like this.

I get that the conversation was meant to be kept private (and the driver is a massive POS for releasing this at all) but professional athletes can be more respectful to their coaches even if they don't agree with what they're selling.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but even if the crap they're saying about Raymond is true and he's not a good coach I don't think anybody deserves that. Very immature behavior from the players.

Overall this is just bad for everybody involved.
Agreed 100%, the guy must be feel extremely humiliated right now.

Extremely disrespectful.

Reactions: TaroTsujimoto

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The players only meeting makes more sense now. These guys have tuned out the coach, they know what's going on with the org they play for. Duchene appears to be on his way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad