GDT: Sens at Leafs- 7pm SNO Open the Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I mean, not necessarily. We can give Campbell an extended look when he returns, and give Freddy more of a break then. Playing a back to back as a starting goalie isn’t that uncommon.

However, I am fine with Hutch starting tonight. It’s what I would personally do. It’s not like Andersen has been even average this year, so whatever.

However, it’s not “dumb” for people to suggest starting Freddy again. It’s just as valid

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Not only would I start Hutch tonight. If he played well (2 goals or less) I'd give him Saturday's game as well. As was mentioned earlier if we aren't going to use him bring on the Zamboni driver.
Yeah no. Let's not give him our biggest game this week against one of the only respectable teams in this division and the one closest to us in the standings. Start Hutch tonight, hope Campbell can play in the next week or so to give Andersen a better split, and hope Hutchinson never starts a game for us again.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They gave Vesey those opportunities because they clearly saw something with him. He clearly hasn't been able to live up to it.

He has some positive attributes... Good defensively, solid skater, and decent size. But he has average skill and doesn't seem to have the intensity or compete to be a quality bottom 6er, and doesn't have the offensive skill to be a top 6 player.

Not bad to have on the taxi squad because he won't hurt you defensively but I wouldn't be shocked to see him get moved if the Leafs are adding another winger. He could get another chance in a bigger role on a worse team to try and salvage his career.

Otherwise I could see him going to Europe soon.

Reactions: stickty111

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Please no Marincin. We have too much depth that's much better than him. Why is he still around?
Supposedly he keeps the youngsters on the farm and is a solid team guy who is fine with getting recalled/demoted 50x a season. Really wish they could find a more capable defenceman to play this role.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
2 points please

I think tonight’s the night where we will have to outscore our defensive and goalie deficiencies

Cheat for offense all night and hope for the best

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If you don't trust your backup VS this Sens team... then you need a different backup, your not gonna get a better opportunity to rest your starter.

Also Freddy is not a guy who is fit or athletic enough to overplay.

It's gonna be Hutch.

Reactions: supermann_98

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty obvious to start Hutch. Andy's had a heavy workload, and he's started 3 games in the last 5 days. I could live with Woll too, because why not give the kid a game before Campbell comes back and Woll goes to the AHL. Hutch could do in a spot start.

With a game against Montreal looming on Saturday, getting him a bit of rest would help keep him sharp.

Despite some wobbles with Ottawa this season, the Leafs are still plenty good enough to win in a lesser goalie even if it's a shootout. The players just need to step it up with an extra effort tonight.

Besides we're still early enough in the condensed schedule where load maintenance is important and the Leafs have opened a 6 point lead in the division. That's great even with Montreal having a couple of games in hand.

Get at least a point, if not two, tonight and win on Saturday and that will open up a nice cushion.

Yeah I'm down for Woll to see his first NHL game. I don't think he's deserved it over Hutchinson to be honest but I think it would be fun to see him get his first start.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Playing 5 in 8 against a rested Hab team is going to be tough. Old guys should all take a break. Guys looking to get into the lineup should provide some spark for a team who has played a lot of hockey over the last month.

Soup Mathews Marner
Hyman Tavares Nylander
Gally. Kerfoot. Engvall
Petan. Boyd. Anderson

Rielly. Brodie
Muzzin. Holl
Dermott Lehtonen

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
They lost 1 point ....it's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. The theatrics of it aside.
More like the momentum they would have going than the effect on the standings - the first 2 blown third period leads, a split series against the worst team in the NHL. Not the be all and end all, but I'd feel better rolling the dice on backups if we had a little more momentum in the recent past

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
If you don't trust your backup VS this Sens team... then you need a different backup, your not gonna get a better opportunity to rest your starter.

Also Freddy is not a guy who is fit or athletic enough to overplay.

It's gonna be Hutch.
Andersen leads the league for most minutes played... also Hutch is only the back up because Jack is injured...

Reactions: Critical91

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
More like the momentum they would have going than the effect on the standings - the first 2 blown third period leads, a split series against the worst team in the NHL. Not the be all and end all, but I'd feel better rolling the dice on backups if we had a little more momentum in the recent past
14-2-1 would look a lot better no doubt but I mean I don't think .900 hockey is even possible lol so games like that'll happen at some point

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I can't see Marincin dressing. Bogo has been a bit wobbly, but he's still fine on the third pair. I think they'd dress Lehtonen and just shift Dermott over to the right if they really wanted to sit Bogosian. They're not going to throw our #9D into a game when our 1-7 are healthy. After the nuclear war all that is left will be roaches and Marincin on the third pair, but the war hasn't hit yet.

I do see Hutch playing, and I really gotta say, I love the thread title. Hopefully he plays like he did his first year here and the boys can rally to get him the W. Fred really needs the rest.

Keefe relying on Bogo and Brodie at the end there to protect the one goal lead last night seems to suggest Keefe trusts Bogo a lot more

Reactions: Pinto and LeafGrief

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Hutch plays, the Leafs will play really well defensively for him.

One thing is, no matter how trash the Sens or Leafs are, they will always play each other tough.

Melnyk hates our guts; wouldnt be surprised if he had a meeting with the players saying "losses against any team might be digestable, against the leafs I want you to play the hardest possible game"

still remember melnyk bitching about leafs fans filling up their arena; freakin' moron didnt realize thta his building was empty until leafs fans showed up to foot the premium dollars on leafs/sens games

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
14-2-1 would look a lot better no doubt but I mean I don't think .900 hockey is even possible lol so games like that'll happen at some point
for sure, I like the extra points wherever we can get them because I think it will be hard for teams to make up ground with the single division setup, but I'd just like the team to feel confident that it can roll. I hate it when we get shook and all of a sudden no lead is safe.

Reactions: Auston 316
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad