GDT: Sens at Leafs- 7pm SNO Open the Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
So let me tell you what's happened with the Leafs.

Leafs are a good team and they've been working hard and playing good defensive hockey.

First 5 games we were in training camp mode, a bit choppy and went 3-1-1. Not bad.
Then we went on a run, we beat Edmonton in the 6th game, swept a two game series with Calgary, got 3 out of 4 points in Edmonton. We went 4-0-1 in the second 5 games. Sweet. We got some confidence that this team will be pretty good. We had an eye on the Habs who were tearing it up. Habs were the best team in the North, not debatable.

We weren't too confident. We actually still had doubt about how good we are. We were about to face the Canucks. Can we beat a bad team?
True enough, we swept them 3 games straight. Confidence grew a lot, maybe too much. We didn't play very will in the last Canuck game but still managed to win.

Confidence was high after the Canucks. We knew we can beat bad teams, but can we beat good teams? In come the Habs. Sure enough we beat them too. We reached a pinnacle in confidence.
WE are the best team in the North. Not debatable.

The Habs wallowed in their loss, we were high with joy from the win, too happy and too confident. Recipe for disaster

We lost the following game to the Habs. That's ok, that's ok.. it's ok to lose a game. Despite the fact that the quality of our play has dropped in the last few games we were still high and very confident.
Then we faced the worst team in the league and were confident of an assured win. 5-1 lead. It absolutely got to our heads. Players so high on their awesomeness they forgot how to play. Disaster struck. Complete melt down. We got embarrassed by the worst team in the league. Our confidence got utterly shattered.

Yesterday we were coping with the disaster and re-learning how to play as good as we can. Playing a team that is desperately trying to prove itself and hungry for a win against the best team in the North.
We managed to pull off a win, but it was not easy. Now we are scared. Demons are coming out. Can we beat the Senators again? Back to back? Hutch? Marncin?

Confidence is important. Too much confidence can be very bad. It's been a roller coaster. Don't get too high or too low. Be steady and focused. We should get a shit together and focus. We are much better than a team that has Conor Brown on it's first line. Just play a sound disciplined defensive game. Don't pinch and let as many odd man rushes, let the forwards score the goals and the defense stop the Senators and we will crush these guys.

Go Leafs Go.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
What's with the Marincin talk?

Wouldn't Lehtonen start over him? Or am I missing something?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
there should be no reason why we should not win with Hutch in the cage. Hutch was not very good for us last year, but the boys hung him to to dry a lot last year. He is a NHL goalie, and capable to win against any team. You have to give Fred the complete day off here, don't even dress him. playing way too much right now. If we cannot feel confident playing hutch against Ottawa, when exactly were we thinking of using this guy? I recognize we signed hutch as or 4th option pre season, but given the state of the world, it wasn't completely strange to think Hutch would potentially see NHL ice this year when they signed him. Have no reason to believe they wont use him tonight. In fact they would be stupid not to

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If it were me Freddy starts tonight, does not practice tomorrow, he starts Saturday, does not practice Sunday. Campbell should be back next week, if Campbell is good to go by Monday then he goes Monday and Wednesday, if he can't go until Wednesday he goes Wednesday and Saturday.

Campbell gets 2 or 3 straight starts when he returns and THAT is when you rest Freddy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Freddy is getting an OFF day ... Hutch likely to start and maybe Woll as backup unless Keefer wants to see what Woll can do ... last thing we need right now is a Freddy injury ... as much as I don't like Freddy we don't have Dell anymore as insurance so risk makes no sense ... rather lose da 2 points then risk Freddy for Saturday night in a game we need

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not only would I start Hutch tonight. If he played well (2 goals or less) I'd give him Saturday's game as well. As was mentioned earlier if we aren't going to use him bring on the Zamboni driver.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Any chance we see Gally in for Vesey?
I suspect Keefe will try to swing this. Gally's former team. I think Gally can practice today. Keeefe is the type of guy that likes to give his players those type of chances to play their former clubs. I remember Last year, in one of his first games he gave Nick Shore the opportunity to play against the Av's for that very reason. someone who hadn't seen any action prior with babcock. No a massive fan of Gally personally. But it would be hard to believe he would be worse than vesey, and also hard to imagine him not coming with a bit of jump

edit: it was nick shore's hometown, not former team. But same idea

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seems pretty obvious it will be Hutchinson. He's capable and the Leafs are not desperate for points here regardless of what happened the other day.

Part of me would rather see Woll get the start... but that's a whole other thing.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I swear to God, if Marincin is in tonight I will consider giving this one a pass. OK, who am I kidding? I will still watch but it would be a very hilarious but cruel joke.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think Hutch should start tonight. I agree with the post above that Woll should back up and Freddie should spend the day at the Spa. Hopefully Jack is there with him, getting ready for next week.

He was good last night. Let him revel in the goodness and be ready for the Saturday game that matters in the standings.

Reactions: Lumberg

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hutch has to start some time. If he can’t start against one of the worst teams in the NHL and the team still feel confident, who can he start against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille