Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 46 31.5%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
to me, the Sabres are a team that would give up a lot for neg rights to Bross...
Depending how the playoffs go, there might be some pretty interesting teams wanting LB’s neg rights….

Avs, Oilers, Canes, Kings, Leafs, Devils and Sabres might want to get ahead of FA. Free draft pick from a desperate team could be put to good use.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
to me, the Sabres are a team that would give up a lot for neg rights to Bross...

Brossoit is going to be highly sought after in FA. Suitors will be lining up around the block for him. Any team aquiring his neg rights is likely well aware of that. Dudes gonna get paid on a short term show me deal. Heck he might even be able to up the bidding to a mid term deal.

I think the Sabres will likely pay rather handsomely for those rights but it is highly unlikely to be a good roster player. We could probably finagle a decent draft pick out of them though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Definitely could have been, but I think it might be smart to add one guy at a time. Cole is integrated and doesn't need to be carried by a vet so now is a good time to add Lambert. By the following year you shouldn't have to shelter Brad as much and can insulate McGroarty while he adapts.
I think Chibrikov is more nhl ready than either Lambert or McGroarty, yet we're going to make him wait THREE years to crack the lineup? Hell no.

I'm all in to go younger next year and perhaps take a slight step back in terms of overall regular season performance.

Save some money in vet salary and use it to get some real help for them, not passengers.

A quick reload like that could get us back to contender status quicker, and more sustainably as guys like Sammy, Vilardi and Perfetti become vets, and Lambo, Ville, Chibi and McGroarty incorporate.

Jet's Crazy Lineup:

Out:

Ehlers, Iafallo, Monahan, Tofolli, Appleton
Dillon, Pionk, Schmidt, Stanley

In:
2nd pair RHD, 2C

So how do we get the above 2 out of the players that are leaving? Probably not easy - though I think you do it 2 ways:

Use your best trade chip - Ehlers. I think his advanced stats will be valued highly by some teams. Maybe Calgary would do a deal with us for Andersson?
Salary cap space. Moving out all of that salary and bringing in 4 guys on cheap deals opens up a lot of cash to perhaps overpay someone a bit (Elias Lindholm?) Brandon Montour is an interesting option as well, though there is some risk - is he just a late bloomer or outlier? He's going to get PAID.

Chibrikov Schiefele Perfetti
Connor *2C Vilardi
Barron Namestnikov Lambert
Kupari Lowry Niederraiter

Gustafsson

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - *RHD
Heinola - Miller

Capobianco

Hellebuyck

On the cusp:
Lucius, McGroarty, Salmonsson, Barlow

This lineup allows us to free up the logjam of prospects, get younger, and significantly change the core. There is risk there, and there's a lot of what ifs and growing pains, but I do think this team could compete for a playoff spot in the first year. Lots of balance in the lineup and the D core has great potential

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Chevy said the most Ive ever heard him say in a presser... but he also said we could all be 10% better... so yes we are running it back.
Chevy talked about changes over the summer... some you want and some you don't. Didn't sound at to me like he wants to run it back as is

Reactions: Jets 31

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Athletic has Pionk playing out his contract and maybe extended for less, Stanley and Gus back and fighting for playing time, Perfetti as a player valued more highly by Chevy than Bowness and possible target of an offer sheet or trade down to perceived quality and 9th in his draft class for points. Probable bridge and love-in from team, minus Bowness.

DD likely back,

Monahan and Dillon as maybes.

Ehlers likely traded -- "an NHL source tells The Athletic that Nikolaj Ehlers is going to be shopped."

So, running 'er back, minus some TDL pieces in Toffoli and Miller, whose name Chevy didn't mention, and with both Stan and Pionk still gilding the D. Heinola having to fight (again) for a job in TC, and possible 6/7/PB duty -- lord knows we need to know what we have in Stan.

Bones likely gone, open search with Arniel at the top of the list.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Chibrikov is more nhl ready than either Lambert or McGroarty, yet we're going to make him wait THREE years to crack the lineup? Hell no.

I'm all in to go younger next year and perhaps take a slight step back in terms of overall regular season performance.

Save some money in vet salary and use it to get some real help for them, not passengers.

A quick reload like that could get us back to contender status quicker, and more sustainably as guys like Sammy, Vilardi and Perfetti become vets, and Lambo, Ville, Chibi and McGroarty incorporate.

Jets crazy lineup:

I'd have both in myself, but that doesn't seem to be how this org rolls. Hard to say who I'd deem more NHL ready of the two. If it were up to me I'd have a kid sheltered 3B line with Lambert and Chibrikov and a vet to teach them the ropes.

Reactions: Keystone and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd have both in myself, but that doesn't seem to be how this org rolls. Hard to say who I'd deem more NHL ready of the two. If it were up to me I'd have a kid sheltered 3B line with Lambert and Chibrikov and a vet to teach them the ropes.
Welll... maybe, just MAYBE *crossing fingers* the org realizes that how they roll ain't getting it done.

Chipman is probably freaking out a bit now as they just started to take steps to repair the fan attrition problem and this first round exit, particularly the way they lost is going to really hurt them IMO.

I'd venture a guess that many fans are like me - we of course want to win a cup, but we are realistic. We are all in on a team that gives every last bit and fights til the end, regardless of end result. What we aren't interested in is watching a bunch of guys who just bend over when shit gets tough.

If we run this back next year, of course I will still be a Jets fan - I always will be. However, I will be a LOT less invested. I have trusted this team way too many times and I can't take this disappointment any more. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "If this is supposed to be entertainment, a hobby, and bring me joy, is it? Or, is it just making me miserable"

Of course, I'm not in Winnipeg, but if I was, that would mean that maybe I go to 5 games instead of 20.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Welll... maybe, just MAYBE *crossing fingers* the org realizes that how they roll ain't getting it done.

Chipman is probably freaking out a bit now as they just started to take steps to repair the fan attrition problem and this first round exit, particularly the way they lost is going to really hurt them IMO.

I'd venture a guess that many fans are like me - we of course want to win a cup, but we are realistic. We are all in on a team that gives every last bit and fights til the end, regardless of end result. What we aren't interested in is watching a bunch of guys who just bend over when shit gets tough.

If we run this back next year, of course I will still be a Jets fan - I always will be. However, I will be a LOT less invested. I have trusted this team way too many times and I can't take this disappointment any more. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "If this is supposed to be entertainment, a hobby, and bring me joy, is it? Or, is it just making me miserable"

Of course, I'm not in Winnipeg, but if I was, that would mean that maybe I go to 5 games instead of 20.

I'm starting to feel this sentiment as well. I'd like to see a fresh approach to things as what we are doing isn't leading to improved playoff performance.

If it were up to me I'd be doing a retool youth infusion year:

Chibrikov - Scheifele Vilardi
KC - Perfetti - Nino
Iafallo - Lowry - Appelton
Barron - Namestnikov - Lambert

JoMo - Trade return from Ehelers
Snerg Pionk
Ville DeMelo

Salomonsson takes Pionk's spot in a year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm starting to feel this sentiment as well. I'd like to see a fresh approach to things as what we are doing isn't leading to improved playoff performance.

KC - Perfetti - Nino

Snerg Pionk
Ville DeMelo

I don’t hate that, but we'd be banking on Pionk having a good contract year.

Nov 24, 2006
Summers of change are always interesting and I look forward to what we will see in the fall.

I’d like to see the org move on from Stanley. It’s time. Tofolli never did much for me and I’d be more than okay with him walking.

What’s the feeling on Monahan? Is there desire on his part to stay? Unless the plan is for Perfetti to be 2C, he’s a good option.

Would like to see Dillon stay, we absolutely need a player like that in the org. Demelo seems like a solid bet to stay as well.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

KC - Perfetti - Nino

Snerg Pionk
Ville DeMelo

Would rather axl than Iaffalo if we are able to do whatever.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Coaches Out: Bowness, Lauer

Coaches In: Ryan Warsofsky, Jay Woodcraft

Players Out: Toffoli, Monahan, Stanley, Dillon

Players In: Lindholm, Joshua, Carrier, Pesce, Kahkonen

Resign: Perfetti, Gustafsson, DeMelo

Trade: Ehlers for Zegras

Trade: Schmidt to Chicago for 24 3rd Rd (Ott), 25 4th Rd (NYR)

Trade: Pionk to Utah for 24 3rd Rd (Utah) and 25 2nd Rd (TOR)

Nothing to it! :laugh:

Those trades of Pionk and Schmidt are very optimistic.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bowness wouldn't stay if we wanted him to. With the issues he and his wife had, the fact that he wanted to retire before he took this job, and the way this team folded like a cheap tent 2 years in a row, there's no shot.

Hope you're right.
I think he might want one more shot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Oh I want Pionk gone but I see the org using him as a one year stop gap.
Yeah - back to that risk adverse, loyal to a fault formula.

Pavelec
Stuart
Wheeler
Schmidt

I'm sure I'm missing others.

I know that we have to be good to our players - it's how we've done better than other undesirable markets at attracting talent, but at some point, it is going to start hurting the team in a recruitment/ retention sense (if it hasn't already). You don't want to pull shit like what Vegas did with Fleury, but at the same time, players want to win and keeping/ playing bad players has to piss off the other guys.

Like if you did a blind poll on the Jets after like game 2 and said - should we be playing Pionk right now or should we bring in Miller - I would not be surprised if many players would vote to sit him.

Hope you're right.
I think he might want one more shot.
Yeah, unfortunately after saying that I did watch John Lu essentially comment that Bones said 'it won't happen again on my watch' which means he's back.

I honestly am not against it IF we make some key player changes and IF we move on from Brad Lauer. The special teams simply cannot be as bad as they were this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Apples has to go. I would rather see Chibrikov in his spot . He seems to work at least as hard and is about 100x more skilled.

I am on board with seeing what we get for Ehlers.

Connor showed me enough away from Scheifele that I think we keep him.

So ......... do you plan on moving Scheifele then? :sarcasm:
If both are Jets, they play together. We need a written in stone font.

There is a long list of why I would trade Connor before Ehlers but the above is at the top of the list.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dont know if the players do not hate to lose enough. The problem seems like they panic when things are not going right.

Pretty sure their desire to win/hate to lose is right up there with almost all other NHL players. IDK if it is panic or what, but they have certainly folded. Even in 18 they folded, at least in the last game, if not before. If I knew why I could make a lot of money.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bowness wouldn't stay if we wanted him to. With the issues he and his wife had, the fact that he wanted to retire before he took this job, and the way this team folded like a cheap tent 2 years in a row, there's no shot.

Dregger doesn't believe he'll be back and he has connections in the Jets org. Take it for what it's worth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Financially sure, to an extent. But having more playoff games would be an even bigger success.

Attendance picked up through the season, which will have calmed management nerves. But I bet they noticed people trying to dump tickets for game 5.

I think they see it as success. I think they don't understand the fan apathy that has developed over the last few years. I think they will be puzzled by its return after that shitty PO. Therefore they will fail to act the right way to repair the damage. Change is the need. They will give us stability instead. AKA, same old same old.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So ......... do you plan on moving Scheifele then? :sarcasm:
If both are Jets, they play together. We need a written in stone font.

There is a long list of why I would trade Connor before Ehlers but the above is at the top of the list.
I think this is the only relevant reason, and it's also one that should force that trade to happen.

Even if we could keep both, one of the two ruins Scheifele. The other elevates him. We don't have the C depth to have Connor drag Scheifele down to mediocrity at 5v5.

We need either a coach who recognises this and deploys the players accordingly, or we need Chevy to force the coach's hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad