Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
looking at the map, they can provide excellent access from 417
by building an elevated highway on top of the O train tracks and
you could then follow the tracks across into Hull to hook up
to highway 50 which would be a bonus giving good access from
hull and also another bridge over the river.

An elevated road like that would face many hurdlesn and likely be very expensive. What would be the point anyways, the plans shown so far included no parking, so its an elevated road to no where .......

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
That is absurd. So 17,000 people will travel to Montreal and Toronto 50 times a year to watch other games? Why are HNIC in Canada ratings in Ottawa a small fraction of for games not showing the Sens? and you think TSN signs an exclusive Ottawa deal with no Ottawa team?

There is definitely some $'s that would flow over to other markets and maintain in terms of TV, but the very idea no new money is creative by Ottawa is ridiculous.

You made a fair point re the dangers of arrogance on the team never going to leave, but your economic rationale is silly. Ottawa is not a top 10 market, but definitely in the 11-20 range.

Ranked 16 most valuable by Forbes.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
No one is building elevated highway through the city. It's an archaic planning and most cities are tearing those highways from 60's down.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the article is bang-on. The NCC is a disgrace and should be blown out of existence. Their crown jewel has turned out to be a glorified snow dump. I have zero faith in this useless Agency and the chances of a hockey rink being being built there are zilch. The proof is in the pudding - look at Lebreton Flats, have you ever seen an uglier mess in your life? The NCC should be embarrassed but sadly are not - the citizens of Ottawa deserve better than the overpaid, absolutely useless bozos who work there.

And who appoints the "bozos" who make decisions there?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Macca

I think some have this idea they do very little work fact is they do a ton and if Ottawa was to take over they would have to add about $500 million to there budget and around 5000 more staff.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No one is building elevated highway through the city. It's an archaic planning and most cities are tearing those highways from 60's down.

Most cities have a ringroad highway and a highway that goes through downtown. We're not most cities.

I don't know which highway we need. All I do know is that other cities of 1-2 million in north america have a better highway system combined with subway.

Our traffic is brutal. We have the traffic of a city of 3 million when were roughly 1.5 million.

We need a second major highway AND a subway, yet I feel neither will happen any time soon.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
The plan is to rebuild the Gardiner as of now its not gone its still used.

It's a planning disaster and the City will likely be tearing down the Eastern end in a few years. Nobody likes the Gardiner or considers it to be a good use of space. For now, it remains a necessary evil.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
There is talk of a half-ring road at some point. Basically a big U that goes from Kanata south through Barrhaven East through south hunt club and then jumps up north towards Orleans. Basically allows the people in the East and West to get to south end much easier, and vice versa. Would alleviate some traffic front downtown. Combine that with LRT, and you have some scale.

And Ottawa's traffic is really not that bad compared to a city like Toronto. It's not even close. That's one of the major things fuelling the Condo boom in Toronto. The younger generation want no part of 2-3 hours of commuting everyday.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
There is talk of a half-ring road at some point. Basically a big U that goes from Kanata south through Barrhaven East through south hunt club and then jumps up north towards Orleans. Basically allows the people in the East and West to get to south end much easier, and vice versa. Would alleviate some traffic front downtown. Combine that with LRT, and you have some scale.

And Ottawa's traffic is really not that bad compared to a city like Toronto. It's not even close. That's one of the major things fuelling the Condo boom in Toronto. The younger generation want no part of 2-3 hours of commuting everyday.

Its not in the scale of Toronto yet but the city is growing and if something is not done soon we will be just as bad.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
It's a planning disaster and the City will likely be tearing down the Eastern end in a few years. Nobody likes the Gardiner or considers it to be a good use of space. For now, it remains a necessary evil.

Fact is Ottawa needs a new highway or expand the Queens Way by 2 or 3 lanes going each direction.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Fact is it will only make things worse in downtown. City needs major shift to public transit use more than anything.

For that to happen we need light rail phase 2 going from Cumberland-Carp and up and running with in 10 years.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
uh, oh.

Baird resigning, as early as this week. Not sure if that is of all duties, but I suspect his power as head of the NCC is all but gone.

That is not good for the Sens in Lebreton. Odds were just cut in half, give or take.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
uh, oh.

Baird resigning, as early as this week. Not sure if that is of all duties, but I suspect his power as head of the NCC is all but gone.

That is not good for the Sens in Lebreton. Odds were just cut in half, give or take.

He is resigning as Foreign Affairs minister. Not sure about his political career or seat in parliament, the news I have access to is pretty vague right now, not a lot of specifics.

That he is no longer the Foreign Affairs minister is probably the best news I will hear all month. It's on the short list of "good things to happen to Canada" in the past year.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He's is resigning as Foreign Affairs minister. Not sure about his political career or seat in parliament, the news I have access to is pretty vague right now, not a lot of specifics.

That he is no longer the Foreign Affairs minister is probably the best news I will hear all month. It's on the short list of "good things to happen to Canada" in the past year.

He won't run again. So whatever power he has now, it is somewhat lame duck.

Macca

Oct 7, 2009
Macca

I think some have this idea they do very little work fact is they do a ton and if Ottawa was to take over they would have to add about $500 million to there budget and around 5000 more staff.

Where are you getting those figures from? This is National Capital Region, most of what the NCC does can be absorbed by the Federal government. It just appears this institution is an another level of govermnent that is not required. And I can imagine the NCC has become a top-heavy organization, and when that happens, usually not much gets done that's very useful.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Ugh, will be interesting to see what Baird gets up to over the next little while and what, if any, influence he'll now have on LeBreton.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He won't run again. So whatever power he has now, it is somewhat lame duck.

Huh, well that's certainly news.

I wonder what he plans to do with his life now that he's stepping out of politics? He's been in office or running for office since he was like 25 years old, and has been involved in politics since he was a teenager. His university degree is in political science. It's his entire career.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Huh, well that's certainly news.

I wonder what he plans to do with his life now that he's stepping out of politics? He's been in office or running for office since he was like 25 years old, and has been involved in politics since he was a teenager. His university degree is in political science. It's his entire career.

Certainly feels like another shoe will drop.Anyway that is it for his influence in the NCC.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Certainly feels like another shoe will drop.Anyway that is it for his influence in the NCC.

This. A guy whose spent his entire life as a politician doesn't resign out of nowhere. Especially when he's in the position he's wanted to be in for a long time.

Going to be an interesting year leading up to the election.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This. A guy whose spent his entire life as a politician doesn't resign out of nowhere. Especially when he's in the position he's wanted to be in for a long time.

Going to be an interesting year leading up to the election.

$'s is the only thing I can think of. That, and he wasn't going to be leader of the Tories, so he had basically ascended as far as he could as one of the most senior cabinet ministers. The next Tory leader might not regard him so highly, not to mention the Tories might not be in power - being a MP for a member of the opposition is not nearly as interesting.

Of course, he might have always been trying to get out before a skeleton came out, but most of his are well known.

But in the end, while he has a full pension likely already established, at 45, he decided he wanted to make some real money and take a similarly high profile position in the private sector.

Still a surprise, mostly because he seems to love the game of politics as much as anyone.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
For that to happen we need light rail phase 2 going from Cumberland-Carp and up and running with in 10 years.

Not even close to happening. Right now the estimate of the Tunneys to Lincoln Fields extension wil start in 2023. At that rate a line to Kanata is not likely done until 2040 or beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad