Senators will submit bid for Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The way the franchise is trending I honestly think this is their only shot at respectability

I pray they put together a great proposal and get it, the future of the team hinges on it

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
It's interesting, because there were a number of proposals including a number of different "re-locates" like the Library, the Museum of Science and Tech and a few other institutional places. And the problem with many of these proposals, is they don't have a clear letter of interest or intent on behalf of those controlling those entities. I don't think any that included the museum will make the short list. The ones that include Library and Archives will potentially make the final bid, but there are challenges with those.

First off, while the NCC might like the idea of a library at the center of a big new development, even they will concede this isn't the major draw that a multi-purposes sports and entertainment facility will be.

Second, it will have challenges from stakeholders. For instance, the city (and our Mayor) want the new Library to be part of the Bayview location at their location in the Yards. If these bids are at competing interests with the city, that poses a major challenge. Especially since this could mean the new library would be down the road from this project, meaning the NCC will have it almost next to the Sens Arena. And the mayor already loves the idea of the Sens moving to Lebreton.

Third issue is the focus of condos in the bid. If the Library is the best any of the other bids have to offer, this is good for the Sens, especially when it is being bid by major land and condo developers. While the Sens proposal might have a condo as part of it, it will likely be much less of a focus (and less units), simply because the arena is going to take up so much land. The other proposals will look a bit more disingenuous, if they have 200+ more units of condos in their proposals, surrounding a library.

If one of the bids includes a major out door park of some sort, surrounded by other attractions, I think that would be a tough one for the Sens to compete with, because the NCC would love as much greenspace as possible. But the problem with greenspace is you can't make money off of it in a major way, so I doubt we'll see a proposal with much of a focus of green in it. Especially from the reported list of developers, who are all about condo and commercial development. But if one of the bidders can figure out how to balance that mix (profits and green space), then that could give the Sens a real run for their money.

If there is a group that pays for most of the library I don't think you wills see the city put up much of a fight.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
There is a rumor the Sens bid has a library part of there plans.

That's very smart actually. Most of those who oppose LF arena would rather have library/museum there. Helping secure library financing through the rink will go a long way.
City is still debating on the new library. There are basically two options - rebuild old one (~$50M) or build new one (~$100M). Obviously new one is preferable but money is the issue.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That's very smart actually. Most of those who oppose LF arena would rather have library/museum there. Helping secure library financing through the rink will go a long way.
City is still debating on the new library. There are basically two options - rebuild old one (~$50M) or build new one (~$100M). Obviously new one is preferable but money is the issue.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
So here's a bit more info on who Uncle Euge and the Sens are up against. Also interesting to note that John Ruddy may be involved with the Sens bid.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...flats-shortlist-as-names-of-proponents-emerge

http://www.oseg.ca/about/john-ruddy/

http://www.trinity-group.com/company/profile/

I think what ever happens its a win win for Melynk he gets the Lebreton flats great if not maybe the city works out a deal with him to build at Bayview.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So here's a bit more info on who Uncle Euge and the Sens are up against. Also interesting to note that John Ruddy may be involved with the Sens bid.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...flats-shortlist-as-names-of-proponents-emerge

http://www.oseg.ca/about/john-ruddy/

http://www.trinity-group.com/company/profile/

I thought they wanted something that would bring life to the city, something big. I don't know why they would develop that area of the city, it's not like it would bring many tourists and etc. here. I think the arena would be a good thing since it would bring more people in the city as opposed to the current arena and people coming to games could hang out dowtown and that would likely boost the economy sector. Sure, building in that area would also stimulate the economy but isn't it a very boring idea? Go to Montreal to watch a game or Toronto, there's plenty of stuff to do around these arena's and you're in the core of the city. In Ottawa, you come to watch a game and then you need to drive 30-40 min in traffic to go back into the city if you want to do something and it's not like you can really enjoy a couple drinks since you have to drive back (sure the bus .. but still a long way from the city). I just feel like an arena would bring more to Ottawa than just building appartments, condos, houses or whatever. If it's something else than the arena, it's fine but alteast bring something that's interesting and that would attract people in the city.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I thought they wanted something that would bring life to the city, something big. I don't know why they would develop that area of the city, it's not like it would bring many tourists and etc. here. I think the arena would be a good thing since it would bring more people in the city as opposed to the current arena and people coming to games could hang out dowtown and that would likely boost the economy sector. Sure, building in that area would also stimulate the economy but isn't it a very boring idea? Go to Montreal to watch a game or Toronto, there's plenty of stuff to do around these arena's and you're in the core of the city. In Ottawa, you come to watch a game and then you need to drive 30-40 min in traffic to go back into the city if you want to do something and it's not like you can really enjoy a couple drinks since you have to drive back (sure the bus .. but still a long way from the city). I just feel like an arena would bring more to Ottawa than just building appartments, condos, houses or whatever. If it's something else than the arena, it's fine but alteast bring something that's interesting and that would attract people in the city.

What every goes there my guess will be mixed retail/condos plus a rink/library.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
"Other participants are widely expected to include Devcore Group of Gatineau and Pomerleau, Quebec’s construction giant."

Imagine the ****storm if a Quebec corporation is awarded the contract and all the Quebexicans are brought in to do the grunt work...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
"Other participants are widely expected to include Devcore Group of Gatineau and Pomerleau, Quebec’s construction giant."

Imagine the ****storm if a Quebec corporation is awarded the contract and all the Quebexicans are brought in to do the grunt work...

I am not sure how much push back there would be a Quebec company did most of the work for the conference centre.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I am not sure how much push back there would be a Quebec company did most of the work for the conference centre.

Not so much of a push back, but within the construction community Im sure there'd be some *****ing. Hopefully it doesn't get to that though. I trust Uncle Euge to get this done!

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Not so much of a push back, but within the construction community Im sure there'd be some *****ing. Hopefully it doesn't get to that though. I trust Uncle Euge to get this done!

The construction community is another story but I am talking the avg joe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad