Senators will submit bid for Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Baird leaving will have little to no impact on the flats.

I disagree. John Baird is one of a handful of Ministers who had 'carte blanche' from the PM to basically do anything they wanted (the late Minister Flaherty, Moore, Kenney being the others, maybe Lisa Raitt).

He is/was an extremely powerful man (Hill Times has him ranked in the top 5 I think) especially in Ottawa. Being the only Cabinet Minister from Ottawa, he was the Minister responsible for the NCC.

His departure for sure hurts the chances of any federal money/loan guarantees/repayable contributions/etc. being offered in support of this project.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm 27, live down near Brockville, and there are lots of people my age who are Sens fans down here and regularly go to games.. I mean every time I go I run into at least a few people from these parts.

As mentioned above.. my age bracket has hit career stride (of course not everyone..) and there is disposable income now to go to games.

The Sens are pretty well established in their area now, like as was mentioned, 20 years on.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I disagree. John Baird is one of a handful of Ministers who had 'carte blanche' from the PM to basically do anything they wanted (the late Minister Flaherty, Moore, Kenney being the others, maybe Lisa Raitt).

He is/was an extremely powerful man (Hill Times has him ranked in the top 5 I think) especially in Ottawa. Being the only Cabinet Minister from Ottawa, he was the Minister responsible for the NCC.

His departure for sure hurts the chances of any federal money/loan guarantees/repayable contributions/etc. being offered in support of this project.

Keep in mind they want something to be done with the land some say there doing it to win votes maybe some truth to that but Baird leaving will have little to no impact.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Baird leaving means I don't expect this to get done

They'll build more condos

Another proposal might indeed beat out the Sens bid, but if it does, it most certainly won't be beat out by a bunch of condos, even surrounded by clubs and restaurants. If the Sens bid loses it will be to something that is much more aligned with what the NCC values. Think a giant park, running paths, some museum - not sure - but something creative that can be argued will become a tourist attraction more so than a sports/ entertainment complex, and I don't, is just much more NCCish. To the NCC, condos are worse than a sports stadium, to be sure.

Baird leaving does create a real potential void at the top, but the fact the NCC had brought in (or will) a Fairness Monitor for the process, in some ways, might have been orchestrated to avoid Baird bullying his preferred choice through the process. I think he would have still had influence, in particular with some board members, but I still think the Sens have a decent shot, albeit this is a hit.

And no federal $'s are going into this project, regardless of Baird. NCC is giving the land, which is a major deal in terms of the $'s already. Province might kick some in for infrastructure or tax breaks, but that's about it. Every bidder is figuring out how to make this work financially on their own, notwithstanding getting some of the most valuable land in Ottawa area for free.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
So Pierre Poilievre has been put in charge of the NCC. Here's hoping he's a Sens fan!

Well his riding is Nepean-Carleton, so as a representative of those people he should be somewhat a Sens fan by association.

But he is from Calgary, so likely a Flames fan.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Seriously?

Pierre Snakeoil Hair Poilievre?!

Boooo

It's a very good thing, as his constituents will care about Sens and Lebreton, which means he'll have to care and position himself as a supporter of the bid.

If the Sens don't get it, and he gets some type of indirect blame for dropping the ball and not supporting it enough, it could be the difference to winning his seat again, and losing it.

I don't think he'll push it too far - like Baird might have - but this will clearly mean there is an influencer who likely in the end, would rather see the Sens win the bid, than not. Good stuff.

Based on his riding though, there will be some on the western edge that might prefer the Sens stay closer to them in Kanata, so he'll have to be careful about how he positions it. Baird didn't give a crap about Kanata, really.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seriously?

Pierre Snakeoil Hair Poilievre?!

Boooo

Poilievre being named new Minister of Employment and Social Development comes off as the most hilariously sick, twisted, ironic joke ever played in the political sphere in the last decade.

It's like naming Ep-III-era Anakin Skywalker as the manager of the "Lil' Younglings Jedi Daycare Dropoff Group".

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I wonder what type of scandle is causing JB to step down?

Dispised the man for most of his career.....that said if he was instrumental in a building move dtown for the Sens i would have voted for the guy and shook his hand lol. Self serving? Very!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder what type of scandle is causing JB to step down?

Dispised the man for most of his career.....that said if he was instrumental in a building move dtown for the Sens i would have voted for the guy and shook his hand lol. Self serving? Very!

The CPC isn't looking very confident in it's ability to win the next election

I think it's a bit early though

That and Baird will never break the glass ceiling imposed by the socons in the CPC

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Poilievre's riding is being redrawn, it is going to become 100% rural basically, and the parts of Nepean proper that were in there are going to be folded into the riding held by Baird.

All that to say that Poilievre's constituent profile is going to change, not sure if that has any bearing on local/NCC issues, but it could.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
There is a rumor the Sens bid has a library part of there plans.

It's interesting, because there were a number of proposals including a number of different "re-locates" like the Library, the Museum of Science and Tech and a few other institutional places. And the problem with many of these proposals, is they don't have a clear letter of interest or intent on behalf of those controlling those entities. I don't think any that included the museum will make the short list. The ones that include Library and Archives will potentially make the final bid, but there are challenges with those.

First off, while the NCC might like the idea of a library at the center of a big new development, even they will concede this isn't the major draw that a multi-purposes sports and entertainment facility will be.

Second, it will have challenges from stakeholders. For instance, the city (and our Mayor) want the new Library to be part of the Bayview location at their location in the Yards. If these bids are at competing interests with the city, that poses a major challenge. Especially since this could mean the new library would be down the road from this project, meaning the NCC will have it almost next to the Sens Arena. And the mayor already loves the idea of the Sens moving to Lebreton.

Third issue is the focus of condos in the bid. If the Library is the best any of the other bids have to offer, this is good for the Sens, especially when it is being bid by major land and condo developers. While the Sens proposal might have a condo as part of it, it will likely be much less of a focus (and less units), simply because the arena is going to take up so much land. The other proposals will look a bit more disingenuous, if they have 200+ more units of condos in their proposals, surrounding a library.

If one of the bids includes a major out door park of some sort, surrounded by other attractions, I think that would be a tough one for the Sens to compete with, because the NCC would love as much greenspace as possible. But the problem with greenspace is you can't make money off of it in a major way, so I doubt we'll see a proposal with much of a focus of green in it. Especially from the reported list of developers, who are all about condo and commercial development. But if one of the bidders can figure out how to balance that mix (profits and green space), then that could give the Sens a real run for their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad