Senators will submit bid for Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seemed predictable to me. They stuck their toes in the water, and nothing bit it off, so why not, as if they win it's nothing but positive for them.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I'm sure Eugene has a few hundred mill lying around for this, and I'm sure the NCC will be just elated to allow a stadium to be built on its land lol.

There is a better chance of Cesars Palace moving in beside Scotia Bank place, Crosby demanding a trade here and the second coming of Christ becoming our towel boy, than this stadium getting built in Lebreton flats. This will just be another thing for Eugene to whine about, and add fuel to the relocation rumours.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm sure Eugene has a few hundred mill lying around for this, and I'm sure the NCC will be just elated to allow a stadium to be built on its land lol.

There is a better chance of Cesars Palace moving in beside Scotia Bank place, Crosby demanding a trade here and the second coming of Christ becoming our towel boy, than this stadium getting built in Lebreton flats. This will just be another thing for Eugene to whine about, and add fuel to the relocation rumours.

Remember how Ottawa would never get another NHL team? It was literally impossible. Would never ever happen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

While this may not come to fruition, if Eugene didn't have a plan to finance this, they wouldn't be making a bid (why waste the resources), so yes, I'm sure he does have a few hundred mil lying around (in loans options, or other investors/partners).

As to whether or not NCC is ok with a stadium to be built on it's land, if they didn't like the idea, they could have shot it down long ago. Instead, they said they were open to that as an option. They were perfectly within their rights to be more restrictive in what the RFP would allow.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
This could be a game changer both for the Senators and for this newly developing area of downtown Ottawa..

This will increase the value of the Senators whether Eugene wants to hang on to them or sell.

Could be great.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
This is amazing. If this happens sign me up for season tickets.

:handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Awesome news! I'd go to far more games, since you can hop on a ton of buses and be there pretty quick from DT.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
The more you talk to people around town, the more you hear that it's a done deal and just a matter of things going through the proper processes.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Well it seems people just have way more faith in this town than I do. I just find it hard to believe that the same NCC who would fight tooth and nail about 1 mile of rail track would allow a massive stadium to be built on its land. Not to mention all the people that live in the near vicinity to Lebreton Flats losing their collective **** and years and years of legal challenges that would happen. This city spent years to fight to renovate a stadium that was already there lol. I will eat my hat if this ever gets built.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong. It would be great. I'll leave everyone to their celebrating now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm curious to know:

1) who else will be submitting bids for the land - potential arguments for alternate uses for Lebreton site
2) if the Sens have pre-researched building partners & financial backing, and the extent of private help in this regard
3) The price tag on a new arena, and if Melnyk's idea of a "world class site" mesh with the city and the NCC's idea of a "world class site". The bare minimum on an arena (building only, excluding land value) seems to be $350mil, which is what the new arena in Vegas is projected to cost. Prudential Center cost $375mil (building only). The new arena in Edmonton is currently projected at $480mil (building only),
4) How much capital Melnyk intends to contribute vs how much ownership of the arena he expects to retain once a potential arena is built
5) The cost of what a new arena will mean for both Sens fans (ticket holders) and tax payers (in the event a public tax is raised to pay for part of the construction).
6) If the land is to be leased, how much is the lease, how long is the lease term and what happens at the end of the lease period? Is this a negotiable variable, or are we going into this on the NCC's terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad