Senators will submit bid for Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So NCC twitter account says 4 bids qualified out of the 5...I thought there was only 2 bids going forward?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
1) Rendez Vous #LeBreton Group proposes a major event centre for sports and entertainment performances.

2)Focus Equities proposes to house the HQ of an international org. accompanied by cultural venues

3)Devcore Group proposes a concept with multiple cultural institutions developed around a grande allée

4).@ClaridgeHomes proposes indoor and outdoor concert facilities, cultural enterprises.

All four proponents also proposed green spaces and residential and commercial developments
Each proponent will prepare a high-quality design proposal to be submitted in November 2015.
The @NCC_CCN expects to announce the succesful proponent in mid-2016

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
1) Rendez Vous #LeBreton Group proposes a major event centre for sports and entertainment performances.

2)Focus Equities proposes to house the HQ of an international org. accompanied by cultural venues

3)Devcore Group proposes a concept with multiple cultural institutions developed around a grande allée

4).@ClaridgeHomes proposes indoor and outdoor concert facilities, cultural enterprises.

All four proponents also proposed green spaces and residential and commercial developments
Each proponent will prepare a high-quality design proposal to be submitted in November 2015.

Couldn't the Sens also include this in their proposal almost? Or are they talking about an NAC type of concert hall?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Advantage Sens.

Claridge already has a big mark against them from the ugly building they just built in Lebreton, and also don't have the experience of a multi-use development such as this. They are local, which is about all they have going for them. The idea of indoor and outdoor concern area is a good one though.

Devcore has some potential for style points with the big greenspace and if the cultural institutions are top notch, but all the others have some green space too. The cultural institutions have to be a major draw to the majority as well, not just to a small niche. Tough one, but who knows.

The Focus bid is anyone's guess, but unless that international HQ is the UN, Greenpeace or some other major international draw to locals and visitors, a great international tenant for commercial space is hardly something to win a bid on. A bit of a wildcard though, depending on what the org is.

The Sens can match the musical allure of the other bids given their arena will undoubtedly be able to handle much bigger draws base on sheer size, plus the Blues fest can continue next door and in conjunction, handle even bigger acts at the Sens arena at the same time. Good to see they have some green space in their bid as well.

Presuming the Sens have decent green space and LESS condo's than the other bids, I'd say it's their bid to lose. Of course, a lot depends on the details of their financial proposal and what the "meat" of some of these other bids is, but overall, this is good.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
why didn't the sens include a 'cultural venue' in their proposal? or did they and it just wasn't mentioned in the post.

I thought that was a requirement, and everyone else seems like they just tossed it in.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
why didn't the sens include a 'cultural venue' in their proposal? or did they and it just wasn't mentioned in the post.

I thought that was a requirement, and everyone else seems like they just tossed it in.

What I posted is all that was released.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Damn. I hope that doesn't become a deciding factor.

They wouldn't have made the short list if they had missed a required element. That's why only four made it - the fifth bid didn't meet minimum requirements. Of course, sports and entertainment facility IS a cultural inclusion, although most observers probably don't categorize it that way.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Very smart move for the Sens group to have a bilingual name, as well. Adds a bit more inclusiveness and helps distinguish them from the rest that feel a bit too corporate.

member 137785

The proof will be in the $, but I find it hard to believe the UN will move out of NYC to come to Ottawa :) , so don't know what international org would push #2 above the Sens proposal.

A central downtown arena makes sense for so many reasons. It includes Gatineau, it is central to Orleans, Riverside South, and Kanata. It's on the LRT line. It makes sense even from the enviro-group lobby. Throw in a library or some public use space like that and I'm sold. Green space is overrated, we have tons of it in this city, just go 3 minutes away to the parkway on the Ottawa river.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
So i thought people were saying it would be cut down to two finalists today? That wrong evidently, and instead the 5 was cut to 4 and details were finally announced regarding their proposals?

Is that correct?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
They wouldn't have made the short list if they had missed a required element. That's why only four made it - the fifth bid didn't meet minimum requirements. Of course, sports and entertainment facility IS a cultural inclusion, although most observers probably don't categorize it that way.

Hockey = Canadian Culture

problem solved :)

Ya I guess I just don't want a weaker proposal win out because someone on the panel can't get over the fact that they won't have a 'cultural venue/enterprise/institution' whatever those exactly mean.

You know there is going to be people on the panel who will immediately say no to an arena downtown. They'll definitely reference the fact that the Sens didn't include a cultural component in their submission.

It just seems strange that all of the other groups specifically mentioned culture and they each used three different terms to convey that message.

I'm trying not be be biased, but just looking a the base proposal I don't know how the Sens cannot win this. It seems like a slamdunk.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
So i thought people were saying it would be cut down to two finalists today? That wrong evidently, and instead the 5 was cut to 4 and details were finally announced regarding their proposals?

Is that correct?
Yes. They'll now get $75K each to design detailed proposal with drawings and stuff.
Looks like we won't know any details of those proposals until next year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Is that correct?

I don't know where you heard there would only be two finalists. I don't think the NCC ever specified.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Can't wait to see the winning proposal: the one that has the most parks and greenspace, or alternatively, the most greenspace and parks..for all Canadians of course. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad