News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Talented teams can still struggle. I figure by the end of the year when Ottawa is comfortably in the playoffs there won't be any confusion about us being a talented team. Eugene is not wrong about that...this team is just struggling to find consistency and has had some pretty catastrophic injuries over the last year or so. There's a lot of talent.

People are right, too, about not spending stupid. Spending to the cap hasn't worked for a lot of teams which shall not be named (including the Sens at one time). However, at the same time, I can't remember the last time a team won the cup without being up against the cap. There's a time and a place and as long as he is promising to open the wallet when the time is right then I'm cool with that.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Talented teams can still struggle. I figure by the end of the year when Ottawa is comfortably in the playoffs there won't be any confusion about us being a talented team. Eugene is not wrong about that...this team is just struggling to find consistency and has had some pretty catastrophic injuries over the last year or so. There's a lot of talent.

People are right, too, about not spending stupid. Spending to the cap hasn't worked for a lot of teams which shall not be named (including the Sens at one time). However, at the same time, I can't remember the last time a team won the cup without being up against the cap. There's a time and a place and as long as he is promising to open the wallet when the time is right then I'm cool with that.

I pretty much agree, although im not so sure the Sens will be in the playoffs at the end of the day. The team had such a bad start that they're going to have to play the rest of the season without an extended slump, which is tough for the best of teams.

I think the first couple months of the season were more of an aberration for the team then the past month. I could be wrong, but i do believe the true Sens are closer to the team they've been lately than that abortion of a team to start the season.

Regardless, they can't spend money for the sake of spending money. if its true that the budget will increase, they still have to be frugal. Bring in players that are the right fit or wait until one becomes available. Overpaying for mediocre free agents or giving away youth for quick fixes will cause more problems then it fixes.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
How on earth could you possibly know this, and then post it here like it is some sort of fact?

Here's a shocking revelation: the mega rich don't take "TERRIBLE deals" on loans. If they did, they wouldnt' be mega rich, would they?

If you're going to post something like that, at least provide a copy of that exact loan agreement so we can all know it to be true. If you don't have a copy of the exact loan agreement, please stop. All you're doing is filling people's heads with incorrect information.

The ottawa business community is not that large. There was a consortium of banks and lenders lead by HSBC that made an intial offer but EM was unable/unwilling to meet the loan conditions, so it fell through. A secong group a lenders was assembled from the US, and the conditions were far worse. It was a terrible deal in comparision to the first.

Mega rich may not take terrible deals, but i think its been clear EM is no longer mega rich.

You can think this is BS if you want, i dont care.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
I agree about the size of the business community, and I can tell you that you've got it pretty much backwards.

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
This just in

Being mega rich means you never make mistakes!

Another reason to hate the rich

Lol, I don't see any reason to hate the rich. I dislike those who think being rich makes them better than others, but then again, I hate poor people who think they are better than others just as much.

Euge seems like a pretty great rich guy, to be honest. Sure, he may have his expensive hobbies, but the way he dresses and his general demeanor is just like any average guy. He's just a huge Sens fan like you and me who just so happens to own the team. ;)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Tomorrow on HFboards . .. a league executive discloses that Eugene Melnyk drowns puppies and eats babies.

Confirmed by Travis Yost

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I was interesting hearing Pierre this morning basically say that he doesn't expect this deal to translate to anything on the ice. He hinted that the Sens were in massive debt and extra money would be used primarily for that.

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
Lol, I don't see any reason to hate the rich. I dislike those who think being rich makes them better than others, but then again, I hate poor people who think they are better than others just as much.

Euge seems like a pretty great rich guy, to be honest. Sure, he may have his expensive hobbies, but the way he dresses and his general demeanor is just like any average guy. He's just a huge Sens fan like you and me who just so happens to own the team. ;)

wat.. lol.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009

But I am better than you.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I doubt he is going to "pocket" anything. Afterefinanced the team in the summer of 2012, the team debt stands at $150M. He got a TERRIBLE deal on this loan, and with interest on this loan at $15-$20M a season, and a US dollar now costng $1.12, this money will keep the teams head above water.

We wont be a "cap" team nytime soon, but we may move up in spending to middle of the pack.

The biggest bonus of this deal, is that IF he des sell this team, the new owner would most certainly keep the tea in Ottawa.

He started loading the team with debt right after he bought it.Putting debt on the team and taking out loans against the team when his other companies needed a cash infusion seems as though it was part of his business plan for years.

His divorce and resultant costs and his other companies running into financial tough times complicated things however.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
I was interesting hearing Pierre this morning basically say that he doesn't expect this deal to translate to anything on the ice. He hinted that the Sens were in massive debt and extra money would be used primarily for that.

This. Mcguire said "debt servicing" about 5 times, and that things need to be addressed.

And trust me the deal was not beneficial.

This extra $20-25M will be HUGE though. No doubt this will buy EM alot of time.

I think at some point he will get an offer he just wont be able to refuse and he'll sell.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
This. Mcguire said "debt servicing" about 5 times, and that things need to be addressed.

And trust me the deal was not beneficial.

This extra $20-25M will be HUGE though. No doubt this will buy EM alot of time.

I think at some point he will get an offer he just wont be able to refuse and he'll sell.
If there is such a debt load though will anyone want to buy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad