News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Does anyone know what their original TV deal was worth? Can't really make an inference over whether this will expand their internal budget if we can't compare this TV deal to the old one.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Sorry, I meant their TV deal before the one reported in this thread. Sorry for not being precise.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
According to Garrioch's article on wednesday they got $125k per game from Rogers.

TSN is paying them $33m for at least 52 games. If we're conservative and say TSN shows 60 games next year that's ~$550k per game. Apparently the number escalates later in the contract as well.

Hopefully we don't have to hear any more whining about how the team "loses money" now.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
According to Garrioch's article on wednesday they got $125k per game from Rogers.

TSN is paying them $33m for at least 52 games. If we're conservative and say TSN shows 60 games next year that's ~$550k per game. Apparently the number escalates later in the contract as well.

Hopefully we don't have to hear any more whining about how the team "loses money" now.

Especailly if we are a budget team! Not sure how the old national deal was worth, but the new two deals are like 48M, and I'm assuming its at least an extra 35M the organization now has to work with. If you factor in raises to existing players that still leaves enough spending money for 2-3 impact players for upgrades on D or in the top 6 via UFA or trades. And leaves Melnyk with cash to pocket and some money for upkeep and upgrades to CTC. Definitely changes the financial situation of the team.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
The current regional deal with Sportsnet brings in about $7 million a year. The new one represents a huge increase and is unprecedented in Canadian sports broadcasting history, especially given Ottawa's market size. Also interesting is how quickly this deal was finalized.

Starting in 2014, according to the Ottawa Sun, the Sens should see about $40 million in TV revenue, which should increase each season, due to the backloaded nature of the National TV contract. That's over half the expected cap limit next season and provides a HUGE amount of financial freedom. Provided the cap doesn't increase too drastically over the length of either broadcasting deal, it's likely that for the next 12 years ~50% of payroll is covered.

This won't make the Sens one of the "rich" teams, but does put them on a much more stable footing.

I bet that other "small market" Canadian teams will get similar deals when their regional contracts expire. Recently the Canadiens signed a new deal with RDS that increased the dollar amount from $31 million to $68 million. The Sens benefited from near perfect timing by having their current regional contract expire at the same time as the National TV deal did.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the TV money is HUGE for Ottawa and there shouldn't be any future notion that the team is spending near the floor because they cannot afford to do otherwise. If that's the case, I probably won't be the only one saying Melnyk has seen my last buck.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It's not that I trust Melnyk, I don't, but I actually agree with him about the team. We have good management, a good coach, and good scouting. I also agree that we have good players, though they don't always play like it. Melnyk is also correct about the cap space. It's an asset that can be later leveraged to improve the team once we're ready to contend.

If the team is not playing well, it is not because we only spent 56 million. We could have spent 64 million and it could still suck. Spending money doesn't mean wins.

I also agree that we have some minor league guys would could be in the NHL. Hoffman/Stone/Pageau/Da Costa, etc.. Murray is trying to leverage that excess into a better player for our top-6 (not a rental) without adding a bunch of salary. This isn't an easy task however so we'll have to be patient.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It's not that I trust Melnyk, I don't, but I actually agree with him about the team. We have good management, a good coach, and good scouting. I also agree that we have good players, though they don't always play like it. Melnyk is also correct about the cap space. It's an asset that can be later leveraged to improve the team once we're ready to contend.

If the team is not playing well, it is not because we only spent 56 million. We could have spent 64 million and it could still suck. Spending money doesn't mean wins.

I also agree that we have some minor league guys would could be in the NHL. Hoffman/Stone/Pageau/Da Costa, etc.. Murray is trying to leverage that excess into a better player for our top-6 (not a rental) without adding a bunch of salary. This isn't an easy task however so we'll have to be patient.

I agree the organization has a lot of good things going right now. But it doesn't mean **** until you win some playoff rounds. Talking like melnyk does while out of a playoff spot sounds real dumb and arrogant to me.
I'd prefer to not hear about how great everyone is until they start winning consistently and carry it through to the playoffs. as it is we are an average team in a league of 30

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I agree the organization has a lot of good things going right now. But it doesn't mean **** until you win some playoff rounds. Talking like melnyk does while out of a playoff spot sounds real dumb and arrogant to me.
I'd prefer to not hear about how great everyone is until they start winning consistently and carry it through to the playoffs. as it is we are an average team in a league of 30

In fairness we haven't lost many games lately. In fact, we went from being way down in the pack to clawing our way back into the playoff race because we have been really consistent since the start of Dec.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Interesting stuff from a talk that Chipman gave at the U of Manitoba today that relate to this thread:

Chipman suggested the Sens have likely negotiated inclusion in basic cable packages into their TSN regional deal. Says Jets will want the same in time. Does that mean the end of paying for TSN Jets?

On the Canadian dollar: Chipman said that the NHL CBA cushions 85% of Canada/USA currency fluctuations.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
If that's the case then it's a huge win all around. My priorities when I heard this were:

-access to all 82 games on TV somewhere
-not having to pay out more in subscription fees to see games
-a deal that allows the sens to make enough money to be financially secure and float a good payroll

This deal appears to do that. Nothing we've heard yet suggests that we are going to have to pay money to access these games. Now were hear chipman saying as much. That's awesome. Gone are the days when we were missing 20-25 games that weren't being televised. Gone are the days when we were shoved to the background on "national" networks. And it looks like that will happen without having to pay $10/mo. or whatever to do it.

Fantastic. This is a huge turning point for the ottawa senators.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Even Melnyk referred to the Sens as a mid market team now. Sens apparently benefit a little extra over other teams because of invasion fees too. The national contract is stealing away what was once their regional money, so they are compensated. I guess another advantage from having more regional afternoon games this year maybe? And as a mid market team, they will still be eligible for some revenue sharing because of the latest cba.

Euge bought the team, arena, and presumably some debt, 10 yrs ago for about $130 mil. It is now believed to be worth about $400 mil.

10 years ago i had about $1,000 in mutual funds. Lost most in the crash, recovering now. But if you bought a house or stock in 2003 for $130k, its now worth $400k, and you owe $100k on your mortgage, even though it had to be refinanced at a higher rate, causing you 10's of thousands in penalties and increased interest rates because you were dependent on revenue Bettman had put a stop to again and so were penalized in the financial markets, would you come here trying to elicit sympathy over your debt?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I would think or at least hope there's some kind of clause in the contract that ensures any additional revenue has to be kept within the organization & Melnyk can't use it for any non-hockey ventures.

Good back to the soviet union trotsky. Its his team. He is only shareholder. He can pay himself any dividend he wants.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Even Melnyk referred to the Sens as a mid market team now. Sens apparently benefit a little extra over other teams because of invasion fees too. The national contract is stealing away what was once their regional money, so they are compensated. I guess another advantage from having more regional afternoon games this year maybe? And as a mid market team, they will still be eligible for some revenue sharing because of the latest cba.

Euge bought the team, arena, and presumably some debt, 10 yrs ago for about $130 mil. It is now believed to be worth about $400 mil.

10 years ago i had about $1,000 in mutual funds. Lost most in the crash, recovering now. But if you bought a house or stock in 2003 for $130k, its now worth $400k, and you owe $100k on your mortgage, even though it had to be refinanced at a higher rate, causing you 10's of thousands in penalties and increased interest rates because you were dependent on revenue Bettman had put a stop to again and so were penalized in the financial markets, would you come here trying to elicit sympathy over your debt?
A "mid market" team that is 25th in the league in cap hit (actually lower in actual spending) this season.

Sure looks like a mid market team to me.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Are you trying to suggest that spending should be correlated to market size? We have the revenue generating capability to be considered mid-market and spend as much as required to win.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Are you trying to suggest that spending should be correlated to market size? We have the revenue generating capability to be considered mid-market and spend as much as required to win.

Spending doesn't equate to winning, what it does mean is a team's core players can be kept for the long term.

IMO the question Sens management has to answer is, are the current core group good enough to be cup competitive or do some of the existing pieces need to be moved/replaced?

IMO the core group of Karlsson, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Methot aren't good enough as compared to the core groups of the top teams.

IMO there needs to be significant improvement on at least 3 of these players

The youth and mid-experienced players are more than capable of contributing to a winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad