News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Spending doesn't equate to winning, what it does mean is a team's core players can be kept for the long term.

IMO the question Sens management has to answer is, are the current core group good enough to be cup competitive or do some of the existing pieces need to be moved/replaced?

IMO the core group of Karlsson, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Methot aren't good enough as compared to the core groups of the top teams.

IMO there needs to be significant improvement on at least 3 of these players

The youth and mid-experienced players are more than capable of contributing to a winner.

Improvements needed on at least two and that should happen to the bolded ones as they retire soon enough.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Spending doesn't equate to winning, what it does mean is a team's core players can be kept for the long term.

IMO the question Sens management has to answer is, are the current core group good enough to be cup competitive or do some of the existing pieces need to be moved/replaced?

IMO the core group of Karlsson, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Methot aren't good enough as compared to the core groups of the top teams.

IMO there needs to be significant improvement on at least 3 of these players

The youth and mid-experienced players are more than capable of contributing to a winner.

I agree with the sentiment, but not the presentation.

First - Cowen, Zibby, Smith, Andy, Lehner, and Ceci are all part of the team's core I believe, especially if you're including Mac and Methot.

Second - We don't need upgrades on specific players, we need some better players to replace the ones that aren't mentioned, the guys that float in the middle of the pack and don't bring excellence in any particular skill or roll (Greening, Condra, Conacher, Michalek, etc...).

Neil is great on the fourth line, and Phillips would be good as the 5-6 D. We need better players to push them down the roster to roles that they can excel at. Come playoff time, which is the point of all of this, we'll be happy we have them as always.

Character, grit, and sacrifice are just as important as raw skill to win a playoff series.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
heart breaking
just curious, are you just a huge regin fan? you got two of our stars in your name, and regin. Not hating on regin

When I made the username, Karlsson was just breaking into the league and most people didn't know anything about Lehner. I watched them all in SEL and tracked them young and knew they were all gonna be stars. Mostly why I was known as Swedish/prospect lover or whatever when I first joined these boards. I kinda personally know Regin too and if it wasn't for his injuries he'd be a mainstay on our team today but... :( ReginKarlssonLehner was supposed to signify the future on the 3 important positions. Hopefully i still get 2/3.

Sucks for him, but I'm glad.

Me too. As long as we don't get anyone like who TSN-Montreal and Winnipeg have. Those guys are BRUTALLLLLLLLLLLLL. LOOOOOOOOOL.

If we get Cuthbert. It would be dream come true. I'll settle for Ferraro though. I love that guy. He appreciates the Sens and Karlsson more than any TSN member.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Some of you guys are way too hard on Dean Brown. He's called some of the most iconic moments of the franchise on TV and Radio.

I'm sure he'd have preferred the alternative and been on 82 games or so a year, but he'll be OK - imagine at the very least he gets work doing PxP for Sportsnet nationally, even if its the sens games 30 times a year, at the very least he will still be on radio. Maybe sucks a bit more for Dave Schrieber even if he's semi-retired.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I agree with the sentiment, but not the presentation.

First - Cowen, Zibby, Smith, Andy, Lehner, and Ceci are all part of the team's core I believe, especially if you're including Mac and Methot.

Second - We don't need upgrades on specific players, we need some better players to replace the ones that aren't mentioned, the guys that float in the middle of the pack and don't bring excellence in any particular skill or roll (Greening, Condra, Conacher, Michalek, etc...).

Neil is great on the fourth line, and Phillips would be good as the 5-6 D. We need better players to push them down the roster to roles that they can excel at. Come playoff time, which is the point of all of this, we'll be happy we have them as always.

Character, grit, and sacrifice are just as important as raw skill to win a playoff series.

I don't think improving on guys like Greening/Condra is going to push the Sens over the top.

ATM the Sens are basically a one line team from a production point of view. So while I give Zibby and Smith a pass, the team needs to improve on Spezza (the current player) and Michalek (the current player) in the top six and needs a couple of third line guys with defensive smarts but are capable of producing offensively.some offense.

Condra/Greening need to be on the 4th line, unless they suddenly starts scoring with a little regularity.

IMO, the Sens need to improve in three top 9 positions, a top 4 D position and need an improved Spezza to be competitive with Pit and Bos in the east.

As far as Neil, he can't go any lower than he currently is, 4th line RW.

NOTE: the core is not made up of first year players, possibly in the future Zibby, Ceci, Cowen, Lehner are part of the core group, today they just kids learning their way.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think improving on guys like Greening/Condra is going to push the Sens over the top.

ATM the Sens are basically a one line team from a production point of view. So while I give Zibby and Smith a pass, the team needs to improve on Spezza (the current player) and Michalek (the current player) in the top six and needs a couple of third line guys with defensive smarts but are capable of producing offensively.some offense.

Condra/Greening need to be on the 4th line, unless they suddenly starts scoring with a little regularity.

IMO, the Sens need to improve in three top 9 positions, a top 4 D position and need an improved Spezza to be competitive with Pit and Bos in the east.

As far as Neil, he can't go any lower than he currently is, 4th line RW.

NOTE: the core is not made up of first year players, possibly in the future Zibby, Ceci, Cowen, Lehner are part of the core group, today they just kids learning their way.

I disagree with lots here...

Sens are NOT at all a one line team, as has been illustrated by wins without the Turris Line scoring. Spezza has created his own scoring line since he came back from injury, and our secondary scoring from the backend and Smith have been good. We are one of the higher scoring teams in the league.

Condra/Greening are the exact type of players that you upgrade from. Sorry, but we're not improving on Spezza, the player now, any time soon. He's been great despite what some around here like to say, and there isn't a better player out there that we can get.

Michalek is a great player to have down on the third line, once we have found a couple of players to fill in with Spezza. A left wing to play with Stone and Spezza would be nice. Conacher (or upgrade) playing with Zibby and Michalek is an awesome third line. Someone to play withe Smith and Neil on the forth line that can do something with excellence would be great.

Just because you say that first year players, of which Cowen is not by the way, aren't part of the core, doesn't make it so. In fact, for a rebuilding team like ourselves, our core is comprised of several young players. Just because you're young and learning, doesn't mean management doesn't look at you as a core player. Perhaps you're confusing core with leadership role?

I think we're a top six forward (UFA, depth trade, or one of our young players), a bottom six roll player that does something with excellence, and perhaps a steadying defensive presence on the back end that isn't totally on the decline, away from challenging.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00