News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Who exactly are we going to throw this money at? That will magically turn us into a top 5 team?

Look at all the top teams right now and their "core" are usually drafted by that team. It's the way to go in the NHL.

All the top teams in the league spent to the cap to supplement their core. Chicago got Hossa, Boston got Chara, etc. The only team that didn't really is the Pens and they tanked for years and got lucky with their draft years.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
All joking aside, and i have taken many shots at EM half in jest, but i do agree that spending smart is the way to go...realistically how far is throwing some cash at random sub par UFA's etc...going to get this team? Draft right, develop talent, develop winning atmosphere, spend the proper cash on true game changer UFA's if and when they become available, throw in a little luck and that is the way i see successfull teams in this league heading towards the future (Chicago model, Hossa UFA example).

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
All the top teams in the league spent to the cap to supplement their core. Chicago got Hossa, Boston got Chara, etc. The only team that didn't really is the Pens and they tanked for years and got lucky with their draft years.

And he said if one of those players becomes available the money is there.

The problem is those players don't come around too often and he's not going to break the bank for the tier 2 FA's, which is the right thing to do.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I doubt he is going to "pocket" anything. Afterefinanced the team in the summer of 2012, the team debt stands at $150M. He got a TERRIBLE deal on this loan, and with interest on this loan at $15-$20M a season, and a US dollar now costng $1.12, this money will keep the teams head above water.

We wont be a "cap" team nytime soon, but we may move up in spending to middle of the pack.

The biggest bonus of this deal, is that IF he des sell this team, the new owner would most certainly keep the tea in Ottawa.

How on earth could you possibly know this, and then post it here like it is some sort of fact?

Here's a shocking revelation: the mega rich don't take "TERRIBLE deals" on loans. If they did, they wouldnt' be mega rich, would they?

If you're going to post something like that, at least provide a copy of that exact loan agreement so we can all know it to be true. If you don't have a copy of the exact loan agreement, please stop. All you're doing is filling people's heads with incorrect information.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Who exactly are we going to throw this money at? That will magically turn us into a top 5 team?

Look at all the top teams right now and their "core" are usually drafted by that team. It's the way to go in the NHL.

Supplementing Vanek into our top 6 would be incredible.

Hell, a top 9 of this below is easily a contending forward group. Our 4th line is pretty good as well.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Vanek-Spezza-Stone
Conacher-Zibanejad-UFA or Michalek

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
So in other words, nothing is going to change and he is going to pocket the money.

No it means thinking before spending, not spending before thinking.

Kovalev for 5 year was the latter.

The money to spend to the cap is probably now there if we need it, that's huge, because when you combine good value signing and high spending, you make a winner. But that doesn't mean you blow the bank ASAP on guys who aren't worth it. We still may need to overspend a tad to get a guy that everyone wants, and even then, he may not choose us.

The key is still to do the best with that we got, draft and develop really well, trade better as a result, and create a core that highly coveted free agents want to consider.

melnyk budget*

I dont think we will be active with UFAs. Maybe if something fits like the macarthur contract. The extra money will go towards signing guys with expiring contracts. Using money smart vs overpaying a UFA to make a splash.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Yup I like what he said, if theres a top tier guy go after him, but no Clarkson deals please.

yeah the sens would never go after clarkson on a limited budget......

the guy is an absolute joke, AN ABSOLUTE JOKE of a human being. He cant stop talking and sounds more and more of an imbusile when he does. All of that I could be ok with if he spent enoug money for my favourite hockey team to win a damn cup but all he does is make excuse after excuse on how we lose money, keep the budget the EXACT same every year regardless of new tv contracts or how far we make it into the playoffs and no one here seems to give a ****.

Everyone here talks about him saving the team well guess what we dont know if anyone else would save the team would we? How long did they keep Phoenix alive when it was hemeraging money every year? I cant stand the Melnyk sympothizers/employees of Melnyk on this site. The guy is an embarassment.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
I don't have a problem with spending wisely just as long as the money is available, I don't ever want to hear that we can't afford to re-sign our own players or that Eugene is blocking trades because we are taking on too much salary.

We shouldn't throw money around on UFA's unless it is a top tier player. There is plenty of bad UFA signings like Weiss and Clarkson, we were fortunate enough to strike gold with Clarke MacArthur.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

the guy is an absolute joke, AN ABSOLUTE JOKE of a human being. He cant stop talking and sounds more and more of an imbusile when he does. All of that I could be ok with if he spent enoug money for my favourite hockey team to win a damn cup but all he does is make excuse after excuse on how we lose money, keep the budget the EXACT same every year regardless of new tv contracts or how far we make it into the playoffs and no one here seems to give a ****.

Everyone here talks about him saving the team well guess what we dont know if anyone else would save the team would we? How long did they keep Phoenix alive when it was hemeraging money every year? I cant stand the Melnyk sympothizers/employees of Melnyk on this site. The guy is an embarassment.

Who exactly from last year or this year do you want him to throw money at?

It makes no sense to just up the budget just for the sake of upping the budget. Both Murray and now Melnyk have said the money is there for the right person, not sure what else you want...

EddieDingle

Feb 23, 2013
If I am understanding this correctly, it's bad news for me. And may mean I won't be closely following the Senators in the future.

I live on the East coast, in the Sens region as it's constituted on Sportsnet. Meaning my primary Sportsnet channel is Sportsnet East. So I get most Sens games as part of my cable package and I watch every single one.

Now, TSN will be creating a TSN Sens channel that I'll have to pay an extra $10/month to order just to see the games I've been able to see without paying extra for years. I won't do it. I already pay a ridiculous amount for TV and internet. And I won't bother trying to find internet feeds 60 times a year.

If this is all correct, I don't see how the deal can be good for the growth of the Sens fanbase, particularly on the East coast(where it has grown significantly b/c of Sportsnet East).

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
The only thing that worries me about Melnyk's comments is the "$2 million to $3 million" remark.

What does that mean, exactly?

Does it mean that he's willing to exceed the internal budget by $2 million to $3 million? (Which we've already done.)

Does it mean that if we were to go UFA-hunting, instead of looking for a UFA in the 4-5 million dollar range we can now look for a UFA in the 7-8 million dollar range?

It's unclear, but I'm concerned he might be talking about the first situation (bumping up the budget by $2-3 million). Which is pretty insignificant, even after taking into account the increased labor costs created by the exchange rate and rising cap.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Adventure seeker in an empty seat
Just an 300's creeper, light on his feet
A young fan screaming, with no time for doubt
With the pain and anger can't see a way out
It ain't much I'm asking, I heard him say
Gotta find my team a future move out of my way
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
The only thing that worries me about Melnyk's comments is the "$2 million to $3 million" remark.

What does that mean, exactly?

Does it mean that he's willing to exceed the internal budget by $2 million to $3 million? (Which we've already done.)

Does it mean that if we were to go UFA-hunting, instead of looking for a UFA in the 4-5 million dollar range we can now look for a UFA in the 7-8 million dollar range?

It's unclear, but I'm concerned he might be talking about the first situation (bumping up the budget by $2-3 million). Which is pretty insignificant, even after taking into account the increased labor costs created by the exchange rate and rising cap.

I think the "extra $2 million to $3 million (on unrestricted free agents) to make the playoffs" is talking about this year and adding rental players but I could be wrong.

BigBush*

They'd show the game on the main TSN channel in Ottawa's region, while the rest of the country would get alternative programing, so their would be no need for a speialty channel. Just like how CBC would air Toronto games nationally but the local CBC gets the Ottawa game.

Ok so that's pretty sweet for the people in region because even if you don't pay the extra money for TSN Sens you'll still see a lot of the games

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario

Pretty obvious that the extra 2-3M comment is based on future signings. So while the team will have an extra 10-20M to sign players, if Melnyk has to add 2-3M more to cover it over what he already contributes to payroll he will.

Considering both the national and regional deals, I'm assuming that about 20-25MM will go to our budget 5-10M to the facility for maintenance and upgrades and the other 10M to Melnyks wallet. So him giving up 2-3M won't really be out of his cash reserves, he'll just be making less from the tv deals.

biffs

Jan 9, 2008
www.failrun.com
www.failrun.com
If I am understanding this correctly, it's bad news for me. And may mean I won't be closely following the Senators in the future.

I live on the East coast, in the Sens region as it's constituted on Sportsnet. Meaning my primary Sportsnet channel is Sportsnet East. So I get most Sens games as part of my cable package and I watch every single one.

Now, TSN will be creating a TSN Sens channel that I'll have to pay an extra $10/month to order just to see the games I've been able to see without paying extra for years. I won't do it. I already pay a ridiculous amount for TV and internet. And I won't bother trying to find internet feeds 60 times a year.

If this is all correct, I don't see how the deal can be good for the growth of the Sens fanbase, particularly on the East coast(where it has grown significantly b/c of Sportsnet East).

Thats a good point. For those fans in town - how willing will Rogers be to add TSN Sens to their cable offering?

They can't show the games on TSN or TSN2 because those are national networks, right? Remember how long it took to get TSN2 on cable?

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

The whole TSN-Sens thing has been answered multiple times both by users and Bell themselves. Read the thread. It's not like you even have to read the whole thread. This question is asked/answered like once a page. For example go back and look at the first post of the last page.

EDIT:
Once more just for the sake of it. The games will be shown on the MAIN TSN CHANNEL and that broadcast will be split so that viewers outside the Sens' territory will be shown other content thus solving the issue of it being a "national broadcast". This means if you get TSN now and live in Ottawa's territory then you won't be paying anything extra.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I'm glad I could be your therapist, hopefully you felt better after writing all that out.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

I'm holding out hope that we'll still be in the region that gets Sens games, but I haven't seen that confirmed.

Margaret Trudeau*

Melnyk also made it clear that, despite the extra $20 million to $30 million in extra broadcasting revenues, he’s not about to open his vault.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/c...-says-new-deal-no-excuse-for-a-spending-spree

13273880751685hlyg.gif

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I think the "extra $2 million to $3 million (on unrestricted free agents) to make the playoffs" is talking about this year and adding rental players but I could be wrong.

About 2/3 of the season is gone. Adding 3M equals 9M on a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00