News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
Nothing has changed regarding the Sens broadcasting region. If you can't get games on sportsnet east this year will also not get any sens games on tsn next year or beyond.

So next year all the games that are on sportsnet this year ( give or take some) would in stead be shown on tsn next year.

All games airing on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday can be shown on tsn. These games can only be watched by the people that can currently watch on sportsnet east. This will be done by cutting the tsn feed from a national broadcast to a region one beginning next season.

All games airing on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday can be shown by sportsnet on any of their channels as well as cbc and city tv these games will not be blacked out and can be watched by anyone who gets those channels.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
13273880751685hlyg.gif

Even if he is, he should not advertize it.

Murray could offer contracts to everyone except EK, Smith, Turris, Neil, Greening, Ceci, Cowen and Wiercioch. All other contracts are up within a year.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Problem is that other teams like Chicago, L.A, Anaheim spend wisely, but also spend to the cap.

LA spent less on their team than Ottawa did in the years preceding their Cup season. The year they won it, they recognized they had a chance and added more salary. Now that they have a Cup, everyone gets paid now, that's how it works.

Chicago wasn't much different. They had an opportunity with Kane/Toews being on entry level deals which allowed them to take on Hossa. They won the Cup, Kane/Toews got huge raises and the team needed to be retooled to stay within the Salary cap.

Anaheim was 21st in league payroll last year and way below the cap - not too far off Ottawa. They just gave out huge bumps to Getzlaf and Perry and have a team that is at the top and have a good chance to win.

Ottawa breaking the bank now is foolish from a team future perspective and financially speaking as well. When the time is right, that's when you jump on the $ wagon. They could have signed Clarkson and prevented a good young player like Stone from getting in the lineup.

Ottawa should spend wisely next year, and then take a big chance the year after because that'll be about the time they're ready to be one of the big players. If things move quicker, get a big name player halfway through the season next year.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Second article ive posted today, but apparently he mailed Garrioch:

"This deal allows us to be more of a force to be reckoned with," Melnyk told the Sun in an email Thursday morning. "We have all the key components for future success: Cap space, a very, very, valuable commodity now and in the future (along with) huge depth in (Binghamton), college, junior and overseas."

Melnyk said the Senators have prospects in the system who are ready to make the next step.

"A number of our players would easily make NHL teams right now - we just have too much talent on the Senators," wrote Melnyk. "We have excellent, second to none, management in hockey operations, namely Brian Murray, Randy Lee and his development and training Staff, Pierre Dorion - arguably the best scouting head and his team an award winning head coach in Paul MacLean and his assistants. Not to mention an excellent young team on the ice now!"

Melnyk said the Senators will continue to focus on scouting but if a player comes along that will help the team the club won't hesitate for a second in making a deal.

"We are thrilled and we intend to continue to invest heavily in these areas but have the flexibility to move quickly on outside opportunities," he added

Feels like he's overrating the team a little bit and making us sound like cup contenders.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/30...v-deal?token=41a53aa1616e0b5f25e9e765c9583d7e

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
but it's shady. and you're hurting the sport of hockey.

If the official streaming services offered fair prices like Hockeystreams without restrictions im sure more people would go there.

A black market can only exist when a demand is not being met.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
If the official streaming services offered fair prices like Hockeystreams without restrictions im sure more people would go there.

A black market can only exist when a demand is not being met.

This.

If gamecenter allowed me to watch the Sens, then I wouldn't have left.

Right now, to be able to watch the Sens without cable, you have to go to one of two grey areas.. VPN or hockeystreams.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
This.

If gamecenter allowed me to watch the Sens, then I wouldn't have left.

Right now, to be able to watch the Sens without cable, you have to go to one of two grey areas.. VPN or hockeystreams.

Well, I'm not so sure its that shady. Its legit... where its located. We're just tapping into a foreign market, that's all. It's a great product.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We can all try and breakdown how he is going to spend this money. At the end of the day, after his debt repayment, mortgage payments, salaries, travel, advertising, etc... he loses, he claims, 10$M per year.

With both contracts, although I don't know how much more this new Rogers 5.2B deal is more than right now, but leaving that out of the equation, just with the new regional contract, he is now $16M in the black.

How much of that goes into contracts, and how much goes into other ventures we'll see. This franchise valuation just skyrocketed and the team with the new TV and radio contracts, advertising, naming rights, just think about this, will lose 10$M a year without a single ticket being sold!

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I have mixed feelings about Hockeystreams. It's nice to be able to watch all the AHL, OHL, and NHL games, but the HD stream (3200kbps) is so choppy and laggy for me that I have to switch to the low quality stream every time. Hockeystreams has been good lately, but earlier on in the season there were many hiccups like the website crashing, streams going dead, etc.

Last season I had NHL-GCL, and the whole "black-out" thing pissed me off beyond belief. I don't own a television, so I can "tune-in" on TSN/CBC on a whim. And the the GCL stream has like a 30 second delay which means I couldn't follow the game on twitter/hfboards because I'd read about things before they happened on screen. The 30 second delay kind of ruins the whole experience... you're not watching a "live" game anymore, it's essentially a "recording" at that point. :(

I'm not sure what I'll do next year.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I have mixed feelings about Hockeystreams. It's nice to be able to watch all the AHL, OHL, and NHL games, but the HD stream (3200kbps) is so choppy and laggy for me that I have to switch to the low quality stream every time. Hockeystreams has been good lately, but earlier on in the season there were many hiccups like the website crashing, streams going dead, etc.

Last season I had NHL-GCL, and the whole "black-out" thing pissed me off beyond belief. I don't own a television, so I can "tune-in" on TSN/CBC on a whim. And the the GCL stream has like a 30 second delay which means I couldn't follow the game on twitter/hfboards because I'd read about things before they happened on screen. The 30 second delay kind of ruins the whole experience... you're not watching a "live" game anymore, it's essentially a "recording" at that point. :(

Just buy a tv?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I don't know. I'm happy the Sens got extra cash, but I was just waiting for Melnyk to come along before the day was out to rule out spending more.

I think most fans can get the idea that signing bad UFA deals does not help anything, so that part is fine. I would add that you can be near the cap floor and still think Greening is worth millions, but whatever.

What I was waiting for was a second part to his story, where Melnyk goes on to say that we have to keep money aside to keep our own players when they are due for raises in a couple of years. Not a peep on that one. And this is where he really frustrated me.

I could understand not dipping into the FA pool and avoid big contracts to save cap and budget space for Ryan MacArthur, Spezza, Methot, Zibby, Andy, etc. That would be a no-brainer to me. But he gave no indication that he was going to spend when the time comes, and that is a concern to me.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec

45436764.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist, hehe. ;)

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You can get a 19" 720p TV for $100.

Then u need to get a cable package which costs a lot more then 10 dollars a month just to watch hockey and ignore the other 300 channels.

Cable is a rip off.

50 bucks a month for basic cable that doesn't even include all the sports channels. Blow me Bell and Rogers

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Im thinking of getting hockeystreams. Is the 3200 stream laggy due to your internet connection, or is this a problem everyone has with it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad