Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I think Paul is very underrated. He is a only a year older than Perron and has outscored him. In Pauls 20 y.o season, he scored 17 its in 45 games and 5 in 24 in the NHL... Perron currently has 14 in 43. Why is Perron so clearly a tier ahead? Paul has 4 inches and 60 lbs on Perron, which, of course, has helped him adjust to the pro game, but its also a reason to favour him in the future if all else is equal. I think Paul has a very good chance at being a good 3rd liner, whereas Perron has an okay chance at being a 2nd liner.

You pretty much answered your own question, Perron has top 6 upside, Paul is destined to a bottom 6 role. A potential top 6 prospect will be held in higher regard, and rightfully so. Just look at their final junior seasons, Perron finished as the MVP of the Q, with [playoffs included] 53 goals and 141 points in 80 games, while Paul had 44 goals and 81 points in 73 games. Perron most definitely needs to get stronger so adapting to the pro game is tougher in that regard whereas Paul's size and strength are two of his best assets. Perron compares in some ways to a guy like Hoffman, and while it'll be tough to get to that level, it still leaves fans a lot more excited about a prospect like that versus a bottom 6 guy with much more limited offensive ability.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
You pretty much answered your own question, Perron has top 6 upside, Paul is destined to a bottom 6 role. A potential top 6 prospect will be held in higher regard, and rightfully so. Just look at their final junior seasons, Perron finished as the MVP of the Q, with [playoffs included] 53 goals and 141 points in 80 games, while Paul had 44 goals and 81 points in 73 games. Perron most definitely needs to get stronger so adapting to the pro game is tougher in that regard whereas Paul's size and strength are two of his best assets. Perron compares in some ways to a guy like Hoffman, and while it'll be tough to get to that level, it still leaves fans a lot more excited about a prospect like that versus a bottom 6 guy with much more limited offensive ability.

Perron has higher upside, Paul is much more likely to reach his upside. I can see the argument for Perron ahead of Paul in a ranking (I would have Perron ahead of Paul), but I think they are at least in a similar tier

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Why does Perron have higher upside? Because of his last year in junior?

He strikes me as another Lazar.

Not even close bro. Perron is pure skill and skating, Lazar was work ethic and 2 way game.

Lazar hasn't worked out per say because of his lack of skill & hands. If Perron doesnt work out it'll be because of his lack of size and strength. Complete opposites.

jmor

Sens and Jets
Aug 20, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey guys, I'm usually in tune with most of our prospects, but anybody know whats up with Todd Burgess? I noticed he hasn't played at all this year. Was he supposed to play in college this year? Bingo? I assume he's injured, but with what?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hey guys, I'm usually in tune with most of our prospects, but anybody know whats up with Todd Burgess? I noticed he hasn't played at all this year. Was he supposed to play in college this year? Bingo? I assume he's injured, but with what?

Knee injury before the year started. Had season ending surgery before his 1st game. Was slated to begin his 1st season at RPI.

Wasn't a fan of the pick, and this injury makes it that much worse.

Hope Burgess can bounce back and prove me wrong.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Lazar had nothing left to do in Junior. I think it's high time management didn't screw him up, he was never going to be anything special.

I pretty well agree, the best spot for him would've been the AHL which wasn't an option. What I don't agree with is the thought that Perron is anything like him. Lazar has little to no creativity to his game, he needs to play with players who are good with the puck because he plays such a simple game- dump and chase, hit, go to the net. To expect anything special from him in a bottom 6 role without PP time and without top end players is unrealistic. And playing with Neil and Kelly in particular, is asking for failure. Perron, though, is the creative player, the one who's good with the puck on his stick, who makes his linemates better. Time will tell if he progresses to being an NHL caliber player, but the Lazar comparison is way off.

jmor

Sens and Jets
Aug 20, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Knee injury before the year started. Had season ending surgery before his 1st game. Was slated to begin his 1st season at RPI.

Wasn't a fan of the pick, and this injury makes it that much worse.

Hope Burgess can bounce back and prove me wrong.

Everything I'm reading is saying he was projected as a late pick (if anything).

Hopefully he comes back soon and gets some games in so we can see what we're working with.
Thanks for the info!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Extremely, extremely strange comparison. Quite literally polar opposites when it comes to skill-sets.

Apologies.

I did not mean that his skill set is comparable to Lazar's but rather that I wouldn't be surprised to see Perron not be able to translate his success in Junior to the NHL.

It would be for different reasons but, at this time, I think both of them will top out as quality bottom 6 players and that's it.

I think Paul could top out as a quality second liner.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I think there is a solid chance that Paul becomes the Sens 4th line centre. There is a chance he has #3C in him, but I don't see it.

I think I saw folks point out that Paul is producing more than Perron this year and that Paul is only a year older. That's true. After a rough start, Paul has piled up a few more points. However, Perron is getting very limited minutes on the bottom line. Paul is typically centre for the Bingo Sens 2nd line. He sees significantly more ice, and has much better players with him.

Given circumstances, I'm okay with how Perron has produced. He is a bit underdeveloped physically and mentally for the pro game just yet, but that's to be expected.

I never had super high hopes for Paul, but I'd say he has lived up to my expectations. He's not a superstar. If the Sens have a solid depth guy who can use his body effectively, that's fine. The top 2 C positions are okay ( not great, but okay ) for the next few years. That 4C position is up for grabs for the right prospect.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I have no idea why some people seem so down on Paul.

Is it just because of the trade? I mean he was solid for last year and he has the body and the hands to have a high ceiling.

Going into camp there was a gaping hole on the 4th line that a lot of people felt Paul would fill. He didn't earn that spot so he was sent down. He's since underachieved points-wise. I don't follow prospects carefully, but as an everyman I'd say he's fallen off my radar until the next training camp.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
After a slow start, Paul has picked it up a bit statistically and has surpassed his totals from last year. IMO he's playing at his level and should continue developing there.
McCormick is a guy i'd like to see get another crack at the 4th line in Ottawa.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Perron was 2nd in ppg and points.

Won MVP not points race

Okat thx. I wasn't sure.

That's a really good thing to have a top 2 ppg 2 years in a row in the Q.

I wish we chose a guy like Kylington or Carlo instead of Gagne. That draft would almost have been perfect.

Let's give Gagne time still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad