Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Okat thx. I wasn't sure.

That's a really good thing to have a top 2 ppg 2 years in a row in the Q.

I wish we chose a guy like Kylington or Carlo instead of Gagne. That draft would almost have been perfect.

Let's give Gagne time still.

I still do not understand the move up to select Gagne. Many other players could have been taken instead. Someone must have loved something they saw in him. Maybe that will still shine through as he gains strength and develops. He looked pretty good in his first dev camp here and he was injured for a large part of his Draft +1 year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I still do not understand the move up to select Gagne. Many other players could have been taken instead. Someone must have loved something they saw in him. Maybe that will still shine through as he gains strength and develops. He looked pretty good in his first dev camp here and he was injured for a large part of his Draft +1 year.

Colorado were going to take him at 39/40. They took Meloche instead who they would have seen a lot in watching Gagne in the same division. I wanted Meloche before the draft, and seeing him go a few picks after Gagne stung.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Do you think it could be fair to say that white has a Crosby body type? ( when he got draft)

They dont have big upper body but they have very strong lower body. That explain White strength at protecting the puck and on the board.

Obviously, Crosby was like 10-15 lbs more, his leg were massive but that's kinda similar to what i heard about White. Very strong lower body.

Please tell me english isn't your first language ?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I was at the development camp immediately following the draft where Ottawa took Gagne & he looked pretty good to me & I believe I wrote about it on here. I had read on here on draft day & afterwards that he was a bit of a floater & didn't hit & didn't hustle but at the camp he was flying out there & hitting people during drills, he was very visible & physical. I also went to London for the rookie tournament that yr & again he was flying & hitting people & until the Pens game where a Pens defenceman caught Gagne with a pretty hard hit which knocked him out of the game & tournament & gave him a concussion & he was out for quite some time after that.

I haven't followed him much since then & was a tad surprised he ended up in the ECHL but there were a number of older players ahead of him. He still hasn't been able to make his way onto that roster full time but maybe next yr if he can bounce back to what we saw in his first yr here. He's got good size & he can skate but he could also turn into another big soft Robinson type player. On the Bingo team right now I only have hope for a few guys Paul, Englund, Perron & maybe Harpur & McCormick. I'm slowly losing hope with O'Connor although Dreidger might still find his way into the NHL as a backup, just not here I don't think.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Brennan seems to think that Ottawa is looking to sign overage prospect 6'4" right shot Zack MacEwen C who is playing with the Gatineau Olympiques right now. I would imagine this would be for Bellville & a project. He seems to be a Zack Smith type of player but I don't know much about him. Anyone see him play for Gatineau & can give us some insight.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=175199

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Gp4zE_P_U

Do you have a source of where Brennan said this?

IMO MacEwen is a worse Gagne. ECHL/AHL fodder at best

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I was at the development camp immediately following the draft where Ottawa took Gagne & he looked pretty good to me & I believe I wrote about it on here. I had read on here on draft day & afterwards that he was a bit of a floater & didn't hit & didn't hustle but at the camp he was flying out there & hitting people during drills, he was very visible & physical. I also went to London for the rookie tournament that yr & again he was flying & hitting people & until the Pens game where a Pens defenceman caught Gagne with a pretty hard hit which knocked him out of the game & tournament & gave him a concussion & he was out for quite some time after that.

I haven't followed him much since then & was a tad surprised he ended up in the ECHL but there were a number of older players ahead of him. He still hasn't been able to make his way onto that roster full time but maybe next yr if he can bounce back to what we saw in his first yr here. He's got good size & he can skate but he could also turn into another big soft Robinson type player. On the Bingo team right now I only have hope for a few guys Paul, Englund, Perron & maybe Harpur & McCormick. I'm slowly losing hope with O'Connor although Dreidger might still find his way into the NHL as a backup, just not here I don't think.

Maybe that hit changed his development trajectory. People often forget that those prospects/players are human beings and not robots. They often forget about the mental part of the game. I was listening to Dany Briere interview just 2 days ago and he was saying that most NHL players see a sports psychologist. The pressure on those athletes has been very high pretty much all their life. Yes they make a lot money but there is many ways to make money and sometimes you don't need to dedicate all your life on one thing.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Do you have a source of where Brennan said this?

IMO MacEwen is a worse Gagne. ECHL/AHL fodder at best

Saw him play a couples a games this year also and I agree with you. Didn't notice him for anything else than his size. Didn't know he was an overager at that.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I remember him looking great in camp to. His skating, shot and size were all tantalizing. I think a lot of people were impressed. I also was quite surprised he ended up having such a rough start as a pro

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
So it appears that Logan Brown has injured same wrist in his first game back. 3rd time this season.

Sweet!

Maybe he can focus on play-making and still be an effective centre in the NHL. Doesn't look like he is going to be scoring many goals with a weak wrist.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Unfortunate for Brown... I wonder if the whole "not working out as he grows into his massive frame" might be a factor.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Spitfires board don't seem to be big fans of Brown... Yikes...

if Brown does not work out then Dorion is going to look real bad with what he has said about the trade and pick. Potentially a terrible start to his gm career. Just potentially though. Let's all stay positive!!!:nod:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
if Brown does not work out then Dorion is going to look real bad with what he has said about the trade and pick. Potentially a terrible start to his gm career. Just potentially though. Let's all stay positive!!!:nod:

The Sens drafting Chabot+White the year before should give them enough rope if Brown fails.

The reality is that from day 1, Brown was profiled as a boom/bust type pick. That, and a lot of guys on HFSens seemed to want him to fall to us at 12 judging by the reaction in the live thread at the time. So if Brown busts and Dorion gets roasted by the vast majority here for it a few years down the line it'll be a bit of a ridiculous reaction.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The Sens drafting Chabot+White the year before should give them enough rope if Brown fails.

The reality is that from day 1, Brown was profiled as a boom/bust type pick. That, and a lot of guys on HFSens seemed to want him to fall to us at 12 judging by the reaction in the live thread at the time. So if Brown busts and Dorion gets roasted by the vast majority here for it a few years down the line it'll be a bit of a ridiculous reaction.

yeah just referring to dorion's comments about how it was the best transaction he's ever been a part of or something like that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
i wanted a boom or bust guy as well. So hard for me to getad at the pick. But I can still not like brown.

In hockey like 95% of picks are book or bust though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
yeah just referring to dorion's comments about how it was the best transaction he's ever been a part of or something like that.

I am purely speculating by putting together what we know about the draft. But my guess would be that they had Brown in a tier above whoever they would have gotten if NJ took him at 11. As in, he would have been the last guy available from the tier they saw him in, and if NJ took him at 11, their 12th pick would severely drop in value.

We know they couldn't have had Brown absurdly high or anything because they tried to trade up to 8 to take Sergachev. There was also some (highly unconfirmed) talk earlier in the prospect thread that the Sens liked Dubois at 3 and could have gotten him for 12+Zibanejad. So if we think Logically they had Matthews+Laine up top (doesn't matter what order), then Dubois, the highest Sergachev could have been on their list would be 4, and the absolute highest Brown could have been would have been 5. A few teams apparently had Sergachev in their top 5, so we could have been one of them.

But Brown being ranked in our top 5 is sort of best case scenario. They probably had at least if not more than 1 or 2 other guys in there ahead of him considering guys like Tkachuk and Puljujarvi were ranked pretty highly among most teams. With Brown, my guess would be we traded up 1 spot to guarantee we got a guy who we maybe had ranked from 7-10 but more importantly was considered to be a big step up on whoever was left on our board at 12 if NJ took him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad