Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Shaun Donovan was at the Tim's on the Carp Road this afternoon, he was there with a couple of buddies talking shop. I sat next to them & overheard Donovan mentioned that there wasn't enough right shot defencemen in the organization. He mentioned that Jaros is a right shot & he suspects he will be playing in Bellville next yr but they need to address that shortage. Almost every defencemen in Bingo last yr were left shots except for Erkamps I believe & I don't think he has NHL potential. It was extremely difficult to eavesdrop when my wife kept talking about spring cleaning & planting flowers, during the entire conversation. :shakehead

I'm guessing that they might address that right shot defenceman shortage through the draft this June but they might also bring in a couple through trades. I hope they don't use the first pick on a defenceman when there should be a few good forwards mid to late first round where they should be picking from. Anyone know of any good right shot defencemen in this yr's draft who could be available in the 2nd rd?

Conor Timmons is a RHD that looked pretty good in the prospects game & is ranked on some sites in the first rd in the twenties around where Ottawa could pick. This site has 5 RHD going in the firs round & has Ottawa taking Calan Foote, who is a RHD who could still be on the board by the time Ottawa picks, although I doubt it.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Josh Brook could be target in the 2nd Round. He has been moving up draft boards. I'd rather they go BPA in the first.
Henri JokiHarju is another RHD looking like a late 1st early 2nd.

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Should be noted that games 2 and 4 are national broadcasts for the Saint John - Blainville-Broisbriand series

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Chabot with only one assist in a 6-3 affair. Bust!

I'm starting to worry.
He had start to playoff with 10 pts in his first 4 games but now he has 10 pts in his last 11 games.

Maybe he struggle when he has to play important game... should we worry ???.

:sarcasm:

Go Chabot. What a good year it has been for his development

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm starting to worry.
He had start to playoff with 10 pts in his first 4 games but now he has 10 pts in his last 11 games.

Maybe he struggle when he has to play important game... should we worry ???.

:sarcasm:

Go Chabot. What a good year it has been for his development

Important games or when the going gets much tougher? That has to be determined, I would guess like Karlsson every team St Johns plays knows Chabot is their best defenceman & so he will be targeted in every game, after a while it takes it's toll as we are seeing with Karlsson in the NHL playoffs.

Joseph needs a year or 2 in the AHL first. But I think hes gonna be a damn good 3rd liner.

Chabot will likely be an NHLer next year

While it's possible Chabot could at some point next yr get a few games in the NHL my guess would be that he plays most of the season in Bellville. There are just too many NHL ready defencemen in this organization ahead of him at this time.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
What a filthy draft.

Would Chabot go top 5 in a re-draft?

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Werenski
4. Marner
5. Provorov
6. Chabot

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If RHD was such a need - then we really should have taken McAvoy last year.

Problem is we at least have several d-men with NHL potential in the system, even if they're likely 5/6 material. I do think Jaros has a shot at being a top 4 guy...very excited by him.

We have Colin White in terms of prospects that figure to slot in to our top 6 some day now that Dahlen is gone.

They had to draft Logan Brown. Our forward prospect depth is fairly awful.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Problem is we at least have several d-men with NHL potential in the system, even if they're likely 5/6 material. I do think Jaros has a shot at being a top 4 guy...very excited by him.

We have Colin White in terms of prospects that figure to slot in to our top 6 some day now that Dahlen is gone.

They had to draft Logan Brown. Our forward prospect depth is fairly awful.

With Ceci being only 23 yrs old & I would imagine that Karlsson will still able to play for another 5 yrs or more that Jaros would fit nicely in the 3rd pairing right D spot to start at some future date. Once Karlsson retires or moves on than I would expect Ceci & Jaros to move up a pairing each although it might even make more sense to have a Chabot & Jaros on a top pairing with Harpur & Ceci as a 2nd pairing & Englund & a RD on the 3rd pairing in future. Hopefully, that turns into a decent defence for the future of this team & maybe another D prospect like Lajoie or Wollanin turn into good NHL players for this organization. There is some size, skill & toughness on this defence group.

Chabot - Jaros
Englund - Ceci
Lajoie - Harpur/Wollanin

And yes, I also think that this team needs an influx of bigger tougher skilled forwards who can play both a skill game & a grinding game for the playoffs. They can always trade for a good young 3rd pairing RD since they have a good mixture of defencemen now & Harpur has shown he can play either side.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
With Ceci being only 23 yrs old & I would imagine that Karlsson will still able to play for another 5 yrs or more that Jaros would fit nicely in the 3rd pairing right D spot to start at some future date. Once Karlsson retires or moves on than I would expect Ceci & Jaros to move up a pairing each although it might even make more sense to have a Chabot & Jaros on a top pairing with Harpur & Ceci as a 2nd pairing & Englund & a RD on the 3rd pairing in future. Hopefully, that turns into a decent defence for the future of this team & maybe another D prospect like Lajoie or Wollanin turn into good NHL players for this organization. There is some size, skill & toughness on this defence group.

Chabot - Jaros
Englund - Ceci
Lajoie - Harpur/Wollanin

And yes, I also think that this team needs an influx of bigger tougher skilled forwards who can play both a skill game & a grinding game for the playoffs. They can always trade for a good young 3rd pairing RD since they have a good mixture of defencemen now & Harpur has shown he can play either side.

Karlsson will be playing for the next decade +

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Karlsson will be playing for the next decade +

You may be right but you also never know whether injuries can end a career sooner than expected. Alfredsson would like to still be playing too but injuries eventually caught up with him as did father time. It's easy to say & easy to predict but in a game as tough as hockey all it takes is one bad break or hit from retiring a player. MacArthur could be one hit away from having his career come to an end as it was for Marc Savard who has never been the same since that hit that ended his career. My sporting days came to end after three knee operations & after having so much trouble just walking & then a full knee replacement. You just never know & have to be very lucky to play a long time without serious injury of one kind or another.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Its been 7 years since Anderson has been our undisputed starter, Do we have a goalie in our system that can replace Anderson once he hangs up his skates.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
16GP - 5G - 15A - +25, Chabot's having a decent playoffs

:handclap: Good for him.

Its been 7 years since Anderson has been our undisputed starter, Do we have a goalie in our system that can replace Anderson once he hangs up his skates.

The answer is we don't know. MOC has had a tough yr in Bingo but we hope he figures it out sooner rather than later, hopefully he has a good yr next season in Bellville. A lot of people myself included hope that Hogberg turns into a #1 goalie & we will see next yr in Bellville how he does in the AHL. Dreidger seems like he could be at the least an NHL backup maybe & Condon might be the Hier-Apparent to Anderson but the jury is out whether he can handle #1 duties. So it's a wait & see game & hope at least one of them turns into a #1 but who really knows at this point.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
:handclap: Good for him.

The answer is we don't know. MOC has had a tough yr in Bingo but we hope he figures it out sooner rather than later, hopefully he has a good yr next season in Bellville. A lot of people myself included hope that Hogberg turns into a #1 goalie & we will see next yr in Bellville how he does in the AHL. Dreidger seems like he could be at the least an NHL backup maybe & Condon might be the Hier-Apparent to Anderson but the jury is out whether he can handle #1 duties. So it's a wait & see game & hope at least one of them turns into a #1 but who really knows at this point.

I think he's a RFA, we might not even sign him.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
We have some really good D prospects coming.

Lajoie is the real deal IMO. Could be a Kris Russel type. Jaros has rave reviews.

Engullend could be a good bottom pairing D man. Ceci is a solid bottom pairing D man right now with who knows what potential.

Lajoie is such a quiet prospect who looked so good. No one talks about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad