Senators hire new Chief Marketing Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
She's a young, ambitious executive with digital marketing expertise and ties to the Ottawa area who's been a supporter of the team for a long time including being a season-ticket holder and suite owner.

What's so wrong with that? Why do you guys have to **** on every single decision this team makes?

Look, I don't know anything about her and I'm rooting for her to succeed. I want my favourite team to do something, anything, right. I want them to show they know how to do right things as a habit, not an exception.

In answer to your question, though, of why people **** on every single decision the team makes.....

....every single decision the team makes (or next to) has been absolutely, undoubtedly, entirely and grotesquely wrong for a while now. Your question has such an easy answer, I'm surprised it needs to be asked.

Could I do better? The bar is low - so maybe. I'm not paid a huge amount of money to have that responsibility, however I would have the expectation that a professional sports franchise can retain that type of competency. This new hire seems to have the credentials, so again I'm not judging her one way or another until there's something to judge her with, specifically. It's pretty obvious to me why people would lean towards assuming the Sens f***ed something up again. It's all they've done consistently for a while now. It doesn't mean people are rooting for it; people have been conditioned to expect it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No background in hockey, sports, entertainment... but she does live in Barbados

I was coming here to find out if she at least worked in sports before. Well then. Not too excited about this either aside from the fact that our marketing sucked before anyway so it can't really get much worse.....I think.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I guess I'm not following your definition of representative. I laid out exactly what the users of HFsens represent. We, for the most part, are the smart AND passionate fans (i.e. not some of the passionate STH lemmings that have season tickets that will vote for the 3D jersey when given the option of O, 2D and 3D, and will continue buying no matter what (which is exactly the segment that they SHOULDN'T be polling, but I digress)).

I'm willing to bet that collectively, we know, from a public knowledge perspective, more about the problems with the Ottawa Senators than any other industry outsider. Benny's point was that were are an under-utilized resource, because we REPRESENT smart, passionate fans.

The fact that the organization ignores our abundance of knowledge, well that's a different story.

You lost me at the "smart" part.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
She's the COO of Momentous Corp — It’s the Internet stupid! (I wonder if our tagline will be: "It's hockey stupid!") which owns several small businesses in Ottawa (mostly domain registration and website hosting type stuff). No background in hockey, sports, entertainment... but she does live in Barbados though so that's a win for Eugene...

Won't rush to judgement, but this isn't a confidence-inspiring hire.

I think she “just needs to bring it”!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Does the organization ever read through this forum? We're basically handing them free in-depth data from the more dedicated fans. While the casual fans are easy to survey.

How many fans post in the Senator forum, maybe 100 at most?

Most would list as their number one suggestion to improve the Senators, would be that the Owner sell the team ...... and they will not be spending a dime on the team until that happens.

So I doubt this forum is high on any new, or former CMOs list of fan research or feedback.

Maybe she can ask this guy for some constructive criticism?

brgsrzo5wpb11.jpg

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Phew, I feel so much better now, we are in good hands, the Ottawa Rapidz were marketed properly from Day 1 and were so very successful. :sarcasm:

She has much more on her resume than her stint with the Rapidz.

Some people just have to squat down, and take their Daily Dump on the Senators, no matter what the news of the day is.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Ottawa Rapidz go under | CBC News

Unsure if it related to marketing at all because honestly I don't remember the team ever existing, the lack of planning and large debt accumulation sounds similar to the Senators current situation.
Ah the Rapidz. Still have my shirt. Loved going to the games there, $4.50 Keiths and chirping the opposition all day, all in good fun of course.

I guess the rest of the city wasn't into that :laugh:

Reactions: branch

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Honestly, if all she does is bring some hype through social media and memes, that's all it'll take to get this team going a little bit.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I was once a season ticket holder. Can I be hired as Assistant GM once Randy Lee gets fired?

Reactions: Silencio

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I was once a season ticket holder. Can I be hired as Assistant GM once Randy Lee gets fired?

Honestly you are probably more qualified. He was just a gym teacher before he got hired. No experience in scouting or management before.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Honestly you are probably more qualified. He was just a gym teacher before he got hired. No experience in scouting or management before.

Time to dust off the ol' resume!

Guys, when I'm A/GM, I'll totally push one of the HF trade ideas to Dorion every day. Lol.

And my primary function will be to stop him from going full Burrows again.

Frodo

Nov 8, 2008
The guy we hired to be the Chief Operating Officer honestly seems to be better suited for the role of Chief Marketing Officer based on his experience.

He at least lives in Ottawa.

Reactions: Chezzz

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Interesting article about Momentous, especially considering the author - Opinion: Internet pioneer revisits movie rental business model | Ottawa Business Journal

LOL...so I interviewed for Momentous about 10 years ago. The founder Hall asked me directly where I saw Zip.ca going. I said that I saw them leveraging the DVD rental model to build brand, web presence/store-front, content, licenses, etc, in preparation for streaming before Netflix came into Canada. I didn't get the job:)

Best of luck to her. Obviously we would all love the team to open up the pocket book and go poach someone from another successful sports franchise with years of sports marketing experience (ex: whoever is running TorontoFC, or a rising start in Raports org, etc.) but we know Melnyk will probably never do that after getting burned by Anselmi and the budget constraints.

Considering where the org is at/who would touch this job in the market, and what can be afforded, she is no doubt a good pick and will be an improvement over the current state hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille