Senators hire new Chief Marketing Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wow, for a guy who claims to be a business owner you sure don’t have a grasp of consumer confidence. When a business entity disenfranchises its customer base to the point where the business suffers, that is called capitalism. The consumer speaks with their wallets as their voice. Decrying the customer base is step one towards insolvency.
For all the people that are still confused, there is no such thing as a “bad fan base”. That is a myth. In any market (not just hockey but anything) if you do not have a product that people will spend money to support, then that product is a failure. Products fail. Happens all the time.
If the on ice product was exciting, reasonably priced, good in game experience, etc, people will spend to watch even if they hate the owner.
But right now the Senators have a bad owner, controversy, chaos, terrible on ice product, etc, etc. The team simply has no basis to blame the fan base.

If hockey is a "product" similar to a toaster, then this team is truly f***ed. All this product/consumer talk is a weak attempt at justifying bad fans being bad.

Hockey tickets are the worst product there is, as any other high end sports ticket. There is no guarantee of satisfaction and no game should be worth more than 50 bucks just in that basis. People spending upwards of 200$ to sit in club seats makes zero sense.

And yet they do it everywhere but here in Canada. Easily. I know, I know, Ottawa fans are smart and the rest of the country is dumb. You are really showing 'em. That playoff run really showed the rest of the country AND THE OWNER, what kind of dedicated fans we have.

Maybe the rest of the country is more passionate. Maybe they support their team in good times and bad. Maybe they just get that being in love with hockey means rooting for your team at the arena. Maybe they don't use the owner as a scapegoat to cover up their failures and guilt. Like, he is not pleasant...So abandon the team? What tremendous moral high ground this city lives by. I had no idea Ottawans were so principled and uppity.

Or maybe they just care about their team more.

All this to say the product/consumer argument is embarrassing. Hockey cannot be treated like so or else it would not exist. Anywhere. Period. Then again, this city had tarps over their seats because a generational player wasn't worth their 20 bucks.

Sad. But hand away at the product/consumer angle. Maybe I should treat Sens games like my pants where the zipper broke.

Reactions: JD1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If hockey is a "product" similar to a toaster, then this team is truly ****ed. All this product/consumer talk is a weak attempt at justifying bad fans being bad.

Hockey tickets are the worst product there is, as any other high end sports ticket. There is no guarantee of satisfaction and no game should be worth more than 50 bucks just in that basis. People spending upwards of 200$ to sit in club seats makes zero sense.

And yet they do it everywhere but here in Canada. Easily. I know, I know, Ottawa fans are smart and the rest of the country is dumb. You are really showing 'em. That playoff run really showed the rest of the country AND THE OWNER, what kind of dedicated fans we have.

Maybe the rest of the country is more passionate. Maybe they support their team in good times and bad. Maybe they just get that being in love with hockey means rooting for your team at the arena. Maybe they don't use the owner as a scapegoat to cover up their failures and guilt. Like, he is not pleasant...So abandon the team? What tremendous moral high ground this city lives by. I had no idea Ottawans were so principled and uppity.

All this to say the product/consumer argument is embarrassing. Hockey cannot be treated like so or else it would not exist. Anywhere. Period. Then again, this city had tarps over their seats because a generational player wasn't worth their 20 bucks.

Sad. But hand away at the product/consumer angle. Maybe I should treat Sens games like my pants where the zipper broke.

You seem to be the one insisting on scapegoating "bad fans", a concept so absurd I don't even know where to start. There must be something in the water here in Ottawa, because apparently we're the only city who's fans are "bad". forget that Winnipeg, the city with great fans today, probablly would have been bad fans in your eyes back in the 80's and 90's

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You seem to be the one insisting on scapegoating "bad fans", a concept so absurd I don't even know where to start. There must be something in the water here in Ottawa, because apparently we're the only city in Ottawa who's fans are "bad". forget that Winnipeg, the city with great fans today, probablly would have been bad fans in your eyes back in the 80's and 90's

When people make excuses and say it's not about the money...it usually is about the money.

When people bring up every excuse about not going...its about the money.

People just aren't being truthful. Some are, many aren't.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
If hockey is a "product" similar to a toaster, then this team is truly ****ed. All this product/consumer talk is a weak attempt at justifying bad fans being bad.

Wow my head hurts reading your posts. Everything that costs money is a product or service. This thread is about hiring a Chief Marketing Officer, based on your very confusing viewpoint we don't need her because fans should just come or else they are bad fans. Maybe Melnyk should fire the few remaining executives while he's at it because obviously they are not needed. There were many factors in Sens recent low ticket sales that were more to do with local economy and the games being snoozers. Were we good fans when the Pizza line was around, and now we're bad fans? When did I turn into a POS customer like you and Melnyk so elegantly elude to over and over? I'd really like to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Wow my head hurts reading your posts. Everything that costs money is a product or service. This thread is about hiring a Chief Marketing Officer, based on your very confusing viewpoint we don't need her because fans should just come or else they are bad fans. Maybe Melnyk should fire the few remaining executives while he's at it because obviously they are not needed. There were many factors in Sens recent low ticket sales that were more to due with local economy and the games being snoozers. Were we good fans when the Pizza line was around, and now we're bad fans? When did I turn into a POS customer like you and Melnyk so elegantly elude to over and over? I'd really like to know.

Apparently it was the moment you felt like you weren’t getting good value for the money you spent attending games. That means you are a bad fan.
Oh and if you ever watch games on TV instead of going in person, you are basically pirating and should be forced to walk the streets wearing a sandwich board sign stating that you are the cause of all that ails the team. For shame.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

So could Melynk do anything you feel would be worthy of a boycott?

Is it your duty as a "good" fan to pay whatever Eugene decides to charge?

Please let us know the standards a "good" fan must uphold to maintain your lofty perch.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wow my head hurts reading your posts. Everything that costs money is a product or service. This thread is about hiring a Chief Marketing Officer, based on your very confusing viewpoint we don't need her because fans should just come or else they are bad fans. Maybe Melnyk should fire the few remaining executives while he's at it because obviously they are not needed. There were many factors in Sens recent low ticket sales that were more to do with local economy and the games being snoozers. Were we good fans when the Pizza line was around, and now we're bad fans? When did I turn into a POS customer like you and Melnyk so elegantly elude to over and over? I'd really like to know.

Right, money.

Thanks for the accounting lesson on products and service. This is about passion. Or lack of it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Apparently it was the moment you felt like you weren’t getting good value for the money you spent attending games. That means you are a bad fan.
Oh and if you ever watch games on TV instead of going in person, you are basically pirating and should be forced to walk the streets wearing a sandwich board sign stating that you are the cause of all that ails the team. For shame.

This is not about "instead of". Those who choose not to go , the smart ones who profess to be fans. The phonies basically.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Right, money.

Thanks for the accounting lesson on products and service. This is about passion. Or lack of it.

I bought a signed EK jersey to remember the crazy run to make the playoffs in 2016, I bought a Spezza jersey when we were headed to the finals. When I was a young player who lived and breathed hockey my dad paid for us to fly from BC to see a game in Ottawa despite being in debt at the time. His credit card got declined the week after at a McDonald's for a $7 purchase. I don't need any lesson in passion from you. All you do is spew nonsense and have no basis for an argument whatsoever. Things change when an owner handles a business like Melnyk does. End rant.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-151112.png
    Screenshot_20180728-151112.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
With all do respect, I am very well aware of the TV deals and where the money comes from. I was simply replying to a comment from Sensung who thinks by not buying a ticket to a game he is going to tank the ownership and attract a new ownership group.

*due

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Right, money.

Yep kinda hard to have passion, when the owner only has passion about his bottom line and little else

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You EM supporters need to bugger off,he made this whole scenario happen all by himself...And its been a decade in the making.....Weak leadership and greed,have led the team to being the poisoned chalice it now is to him ....Big talk has been his mantra....And nothing more

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Have yet to see a single poster suggest that Melnyk is a good owner, yet when passionate fans try to take action to help the franchise by boycotting this owner they are labelled bad fans and accused of being cheap.

It amazes me that in spite of numerous season ticket holders who have been forking over money for years cancelling based on Melnyk some posters can be this out of touch to try and place blame on the fanbase.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This thread has ceased to be about the CMO and has turned a bit toxic, locking it down as there doesn't appear to be anything new and relevant to add.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad