Senators Development Camp 2018

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tuesday's Development Camp Observations from my bias Perspective. I was only able to stay for about 45 minutes & in that time wasn't able to see everyone, they had the guys spread out over three rinks. Saw PD & GB having a animated discussion up top on those overview landing areas.

Jaros - was in what I'll call rink1, the rink they are normally in & in the time I was watching Jaros broke up 4 plays in a row. Each time he was out there on a 2 against 1 drill (2 Fs against 1 D) he broke up the play, against Brown, against Tkachuk & a couple of others. IMO with his size, skill, skating & determination I expect him to challenge for a spot on D this yr. He may have to wait until the trade deadline for PD to make a spot for him but he just looks so ready to be an NHL player.

Brown - he's huge, this guy looks to be able to do a lot of things just because of his size & reach. He can get away with things but IMO he needs to spend a yr in Belleville & learn that the things he is able to do in junior or against his young peers here he won't be able to do against men. He's too cute at times as are a number of these skilled players. He is very skilled no question for a big guy & skates fairly well & has good hands at handling the puck but needs to be more aggressive, more determined to win puck battles & needs to use his size more to dominate the play. He's also got a pretty good wrist shot & slap shot, he continues to remind me of Spezza in that he floats a bit but his skill is undeniable. He would benefit greatly to have a very determined winger who doesn't mind the dirty work on one side & a goal scorer on the other that he can get the puck too. Him & Formenton might work well together since he seems very determined.

Formenton - man this guy can fly, he is very fast but so is Gagne & Novak is really fast too. Didn't get to see much of these guys do anything special but when I did notice them all three were just flying out there. Gagne continues to surprise me at D-camps, he is much more aggressive at these camps than I have read he is suppose to be. Would be nice for this guy to turn into a very good player, he has a good hard slap shot.

Tkachuk - some will see this as bias I guess since this was the guy I wanted them to draft & he comes as advertised. I didn't get to see much of Tkachuk, the two rushes that I did see the guy he was skating with on a 2 on 1 drill kept the puck each time & Jaros broke one of them up. He's big & needs to fill out a little but when you watch him handle the puck he has clearly been well coached, he seems to have all of the fundamentals down. He's not slow by any stretch & can easily keep up with the action, we didn't get to see any of the stuff he is known for & seemed to be having a good time. He does go to the net, but today kept it clean. IMO he could play in the NHL next season but it would make more sense to let him go back to school to refine his game & get bigger & stronger. He looks to me like he is filled with confidence & swagger & will be a leader for this team someday. He just looks good at everything.

Mandolese - this guy looked bigger than Hogberg when they were standing beside each other. I'm not very good at assessing goaltenders but the coach was talking a lot to him after his time in the net. My guess is that fundamentally he probably needs to work on his angles more, he doesn't seem to go down as much as some of the others & plays more of a stand up approach at least in the few minutes I was watching. I never noticed Gustavsson today & Hollette looks much bigger than I remember too. Ottawa has some big goalies, Gustavsson is probably the smallest goalie among them.

Docker - didn't see much to report on this guy but he looks smaller than I thought he would be. He needs to put on more muscle & hopefully grow another inch or two. Gruden is also quite small next to some of these guys but skilled & a good skater. I saw that Burzan guy for the first time & he's another skilled guy with decent size. These two were a couple of the guys trying to fancy their way around Jaros when he just took the puck away from them … twice.

Wolanin was standing next to Docker & he looks much bigger, slightly taller & much more filled out. IMO Wolanin could be a lot closer to being NHL ready than I previously thought & he too is very fast. He just needs to be physically better defensively without the puck, but when he has the puck, he is gone. This guy is going to be interesting to watch & when we talk about a couple of prospects breaking out, Wolanin IMO is in that mix.

Chase Stewart looks like the new enforcer whether he gets a contract or not who knows, he doesn't look like a very good hockey player from the little I saw him during some drills.

Tychonick also looks very small standing next to some guys but clearly skilled & very good skater. I assume by the time these guys get to this level they are all excellent skaters & it's mostly nuances that set them apart & of course skill, hands & smarts. Didn't see him do anything that stood out though.

Batherson - is another guy who stands out because he works hard, tries hard at every drill & looks to be a steal for this org. He looks like a guy who can play the game anyway you want, physically or skating back & forth & it looks like he likes to hit, at least I hope so. He's a very determined player, he has good hands & can dangle or just rush the net & bull his way in, he seems to have a motor that doesn't stop. This guy could be a fan favourite IMO & is certainly one of mine.

Colin White - clearly the most well rounded hockey player on the ice today, he just looks so much better or more refined than most there, he stands out as the good players always do. As I thought he was brought in for this D-camp as a captain or leader as Paul was last yr & Boro in the past. He's the leader talking to guys bringing them together & showing everyone how to do certain drills & helping some guys out. … IMO he should be on the Ottawa roster after TC, he just seems refined & NHL ready, so we'll see. I hope they keep him at centre, he seems to see the ice well, plays a good defensive game & gets to where he needs to go quickly, efficiently & with purpose & he's a better playmaker than I thought. This guy looks like another guy who is going to be a player who does everything well without fanfare or flash.

Hope to get back there again soon.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tuesday's Development Camp Observations from my bias Perspective. I was only able to stay for about 45 minutes & in that time wasn't able to see everyone, they had the guys spread out over three rinks. Saw PD & GB having a animated discussion up top on those overview landing areas.

Jaros - was in what I'll call rink1, the rink they are normally in & in the time I was watching Jaros broke up 4 plays in a row. Each time he was out there on a 2 against 1 drill (2 Fs against 1 D) he broke up the play, against Brown, against Tkachuk & a couple of others. IMO with his size, skill, skating & determination I expect him to challenge for a spot on D this yr. He may have to wait until the trade deadline for PD to make a spot for him but he just looks so ready to be an NHL player.

Brown - he's huge, this guy looks to be able to do a lot of things just because of his size & reach. He can get away with things but IMO he needs to spend a yr in Belleville & learn that the things he is able to do in junior or against his young peers here he won't be able to do against men. He's too cute at times as are a number of these skilled players. He is very skilled no question for a big guy & skates fairly well & has good hands at handling the puck but needs to be more aggressive, more determined to win puck battles & needs to use his size more to dominate the play. He's also got a pretty good wrist shot & slap shot, he continues to remind me of Spezza in that he floats a bit but his skill is undeniable. He would benefit greatly to have a very determined winger who doesn't mind the dirty work on one side & a goal scorer on the other that he can get the puck too. Him & Formenton might work well together since he seems very determined.

Formenton - man this guy can fly, he is very fast but so is Gagne & Novak is really fast too. Didn't get to see much of these guys do anything special but when I did notice them all three were just flying out there. Gagne continues to surprise me at D-camps, he is much more aggressive at these camps than I have read he is suppose to be. Would be nice for this guy to turn into a very good player, he has a good hard slap shot.

Tkachuk - some will see this as bias I guess since this was the guy I wanted them to draft & he comes as advertised. I didn't get to see much of Tkachuk, the two rushes that I did see the guy he was skating with on a 2 on 1 drill kept the puck each time & Jaros broke one of them up. He's big & needs to fill out a little but when you watch him handle the puck he has clearly been well coached, he seems to have all of the fundamentals down. He's not slow by any stretch & can easily keep up with the action, we didn't get to see any of the stuff he is known for & seemed to be having a good time. He does go to the net, but today kept it clean. IMO he could play in the NHL next season but it would make more sense to let him go back to school to refine his game & get bigger & stronger. He looks to me like he is filled with confidence & swagger & will be a leader for this team someday. He just looks good at everything.

Mandolese - this guy looked bigger than Hogberg when they were standing beside each other. I'm not very good at assessing goaltenders but the coach was talking a lot to him after his time in the net. My guess is that fundamentally he probably needs to work on his angles more, he doesn't seem to go down as much as some of the others & plays more of a stand up approach at least in the few minutes I was watching. I never noticed Gustavsson today & Hollette looks much bigger than I remember too. Ottawa has some big goalies, Gustavsson is probably the smallest goalie among them.

Docker - didn't see much to report on this guy but he looks smaller than I thought he would be. He needs to put on more muscle & hopefully grow another inch or two. Gruden is also quite small next to some of these guys but skilled & a good skater. I saw that Burzan guy for the first time & he's another skilled guy with decent size. These two were a couple of the guys trying to fancy their way around Jaros when he just took the puck away from them … twice.

Wolanin was standing next to Docker & he looks much bigger, slightly taller & much more filled out. IMO Wolanin could be a lot closer to being NHL ready than I previously thought & he too is very fast. He just needs to be physically better defensively without the puck, but when he has the puck, he is gone. This guy is going to be interesting to watch & when we talk about a couple of prospects breaking out, Wolanin IMO is in that mix.

Chase Stewart looks like the new enforcer whether he gets a contract or not who knows, he doesn't look like a very good hockey player from the little I saw him during some drills.

Tychonick also looks very small standing next to some guys but clearly skilled & very good skater. I assume by the time these guys get to this level they are all excellent skaters & it's mostly nuances that set them apart & of course skill, hands & smarts. Didn't see him do anything that stood out though.

Batherson - is another guy who stands out because he works hard, tries hard at every drill & looks to be a steal for this org. He looks like a guy who can play the game anyway you want, physically or skating back & forth & he likes to hit. He's a very determined player, he has good hands & can dangle or just rush the net& bull his way in. This guy could be a fan favourite IMO.

Colin White - clearly the most well rounded hockey player on the ice, he just looks so much better or more refined than most there, he stands out as the good players always do. As I thought he was brought in for this D-camp as a captain or leader as Paul was last yr. He's the leader talking to guys bringing them together & showing everyone how to do certain drills & helping some guys out. … IMO he should be on the Ottawa roster after TC, he just seems refined & NHL ready, so we'll see.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Batherson - is another guy who stands out because he works hard, tries hard at every drill & looks to be a steal for this org. He looks like a guy who can play the game anyway you want, physically or skating back & forth & it looks like he likes to hit, at least I hope so. He's a very determined player, he has good hands & can dangle or just rush the net & bull his way in, he seems to have a motor that doesn't stop. This guy could be a fan favourite IMO & is certainly one of mine.

Colin White - clearly the most well rounded hockey player on the ice today, he just looks so much better or more refined than most there, he stands out as the good players always do. As I thought he was brought in for this D-camp as a captain or leader as Paul was last yr & Boro in the past. He's the leader talking to guys bringing them together & showing everyone how to do certain drills & helping some guys out. … IMO he should be on the Ottawa roster after TC, he just seems refined & NHL ready, so we'll see. I hope they keep him at centre, he seems to see the ice well, plays a good defensive game & gets to where he needs to go quickly, efficiently & with purpose. This guy looks like another guy who is going to be a player who does everything well without fanfare or flash.

appreciate the time you took to type that all out

Reactions: Hands of Stone

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Brown does not look 3 inches taller than Tkachuk there.

Matthew was listed at 6'01, 195lbs going into the draft... he's currently about 6'02, 203lbs.

Brady was listed at 6'03, 191.5lbs. He was drafted at an older age than Matthew so he might be done growing (height-wise) but he seems like he can pack a lot of muscle onto his frame. Either way, a duo of Tkachuk-Brown will be scary for opposing forwards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
appreciate the time you took to type that all out

Thanks.

Just for fun, this would be my list of prospects I hope can break out & become good to great NHL players some day.

Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Formenton - Brown - Gagne
Novak - Chlapik - Nurmi
Luchuk - Paul - Loheit/Crookshank

Chabot - Jaros
Wolanin - Docker
Lajoie - Bergman
Tychonick/Englund

Gustavsson - Hogberg/Mandolese

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Be pretty cool if this guy turned out to be a steal
You know who else could be a steal is that Novak kid, good size & he may be as fast as Formenton, just great wheels. Remains to be seen if he has the IQ & hockey skills to go with the speed but he's someone I'll keep an eye on whenever possible. I didn't really see anything special from some of the other guys that people like from this recent draft like Gruden, Docker, Tychonick or Crookshank.

Hopefully, I get a better look at them next time I go, it's hard to see everybody when they are in two or three rinks at the same time in the Sensplex. Maybe someone on here had a good look at them & can comment. Have a great week & happy Canada Day weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad