Senators Development Camp 2018

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The muscles he needs to build up are the ancillary, supporting muscles so crucial for maintaining healthy joints and avoiding injury. They aren't mirror muscles and you have to be fairly disciplined to work them. Most guys just try to get big arms or pecs. No functional strength away from the gym though. But you absolutely need to protect the shoulders, hips, knees, etc. I wouldn't want BT anywhere near an NHL game until he's been able to build that up.

Exactly.

I don't want Tkachuk playing that rugged physical style against NHL competition (NCAA guys aren't on the same physical level as NHLers, but are more advanced than CHLers) until he has more muscle. It would be too easy for him to get hurt right now at his current size. These are crucial development years...you can't have your top prospect out for half the year with injury, or playing with injuries.

We have to think about what will give Brady the best career.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I really really like White more and more as time goes on. Love that he said in his interview he's working on skill and skating. I like hearing that he wanted to take on a leader role at the camp for the new draftees and I love hearing that he gained confidence and belief from playing with Kane, Gaudreau, and DeBrincat at the Worlds.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I really really like White more and more as time goes on. Love that he said in his interview he's working on skill and skating. I like hearing that he wanted to take on a leader role at the camp for the new draftees and I love hearing that he gained confidence and belief from playing with Kane, Gaudreau, and DeBrincat at the Worlds.

I think White is going to have a solid season. Breaking his arm when he did was tragic. by the time he was fully healthy there was nothing left but waiting for the fat lady to sing.

I remember the WJC and Pierre McGuire saying he was going to be a PITA to play against. I'm hoping we get that guy and 35+ points.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I think White is going to have a solid season. Breaking his arm when he did was tragic. by the time he was fully healthy there was nothing left but waiting for the fat lady to sing.

I remember the WJC and Pierre McGuire saying he was going to be a PITA to play against. I'm hoping we get that guy and 35+ points.
White might have 35 assists let alone points IMO.

I see him putting up about 55 points 20 goals, 35 assists (edit: this upcoming season).

On another note I always thought Christian Wolanin was a smaller guy, don't know why. But he seems ever more enticing to me as a dark horse for next season.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
White might have 35 assists let alone points IMO.

I see him putting up about 55 points 20 goals, 35 assists (edit: this upcoming season).

On another note I always thought Christian Wolanin was a smaller guy, don't know why. But he seems ever more enticing to me as a dark horse for next season.

Maybe in Binghamton...

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Pierre Mcguire aka Colin White's #1 fan other than Colin's mom saying this morning that he thinks White can top out as a 60-70 point player.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Pierre Mcguire aka Colin White's #1 fan other than Colin's mom saying this morning that he thinks White can top out as a 60-70 point player.
I think that he could top out at 60-70.

60-70 points isn't even anywhere near a superstar forward. It is reasonable to believe Karlsson and Duchene who say he will be a star and has a great game over some guy who thinks 60-70 points a year is unheard of. Come on, could we be more outright pessimistic.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Duchene has reached 70 points once in his career and that was 5 years ago, he had a bigger pedigree and showed more of an offensive role in prior years than White has ever shown. 70 points is no easy thing, especially for a guy that has yet to show he can score big in the pro leagues.

I see more of a 50-55 point guy, maybe reaching 60 something in a career year where everything goes right for him. I see more of 60-70 careers from Brown and Tkachuk than White.

Reactions: Xspyrit

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
70 might be pushing it, but I don't see what would stop him from being a 50-60 point 2nd line player. The players on the team all seem pretty high on him and he's shown the ability to put up points at the NCAA/WJ level. I've seen a lot of posts around these parts recently where people are saying he'll top out as a 3rd liner and I don't understand that at all.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We appear to be assembling some high end aggressive players who are gonna be pains to play against. I wonder if this is on purpose or a case of BPA when drafting.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think that he could top out at 60-70.

60-70 points isn't even anywhere near a superstar forward. It is reasonable to believe Karlsson and Duchene who say he will be a star and has a great game over some guy who thinks 60-70 points a year is unheard of. Come on, could we be more outright pessimistic.

60 to 70 points means about 25-30 goals plus 35 to 40 assists. That would be pretty good for a late first round pick. I see White having pretty good hustle, physical play, and smart with limited offensive skill but enough to get to the 60-70 point level; just not a superstar point per game player or 40 goal scorer on a regular basis.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We appear to be assembling some high end aggressive players who are gonna be pains to play against. I wonder if this is on purpose or a case of BPA when drafting.
Maybe if the P stands for Package. There are a lot of traits in hockey player.. Best scorer available. Best hands available. Best Character available. Best Skater available... Best Player available is subjective and depends on the traits you value most

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Both. BPA assessment can include contributions other than goals and assists.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
So White is going to be a first line center then?

I’ll believe it when I see it. Will happily eat crow w/r/t this kid.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So White is going to be a first line center then?

I’ll believe it when I see it. Will happily eat crow w/r/t this kid.
How long does he have to get there? ; Not saying a first liner but a 50-60 pt guy , assuming that would be acceptable to you.
2-3 more years? So lets see how he improves over that time.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
How long does he have to get there? ; Not saying a first liner but a 50-60 pt guy , assuming that would be acceptable to you.
2-3 more years? So lets see how he improves over that time.

Lol I’m not trying to put White down, but some realism would be nice. How many guys on this team are capable of scoring 70 points? Stone and maybe Duchene (he’s done it once).

White isn’t Duchene people.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Based on our drafting it seems like the team is straying away from the hot new trend of just drafting small skilled guys like everyone else is doing but drafting still skilled players but either have decent size or a pain in the ass to play against.

You got White known to get under opponents skin, a 6'6 skilled center in Brown compared to the under 6'0 centers in the league, Tkachuk, not much else to be said about him. Formenton is an ass to play against, shown at the world juniors and at 6'2 and that speed, hard to contain. Batherson a baby faced killer. huge growth spurt that's coming up to 6'2 now. and Chlapik has a big euro butt and hard to push off the puck.

While the dman we been drafting are essentially the new aged dman, under 6'1 and can move the puck or skate really well.

It's just interesting to me that the team is deviating from the norm and if all these guys hit, they could be the new model that everyone copies, I am always under the belief that if you are trying to copy a trend then you are already falling behind, and try to come up with a new way to play and compete with the players you have or drafting.

Just based on the prospects if and that's a big IF they all hit their potential.

a core of

Tkachuk - Brown - White
Formenton - Chlapik - Batherson

Chabot -
Wolanin -Jaros
Tychonik - JBD

I can get behind. You still got a skilled forward group that can play with the speedy teams but can also play a physical style when needed to, crucial for this team not to be 1 dimensional again. Then you got a very mobile offensive defense with some great two way dmen (JBD, Jaros, Lajoie).

I think the future looks bright, if we keep dumping the trash and stocking up on prospects, and have a healthy environment for them to develop (Bellville) in, we could be alright.

This could be a really big pain in the ass team to play against as soon as 2 years from now, and I am excited for that, in Ottawa we never really had that. The only thing that came close is that team that had the line brawl against the Habs in the playoffs and we won every single fight hahahaha.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Anyone have any views of Tkachuk skating-wise? I heard that he is awkward and clunky but can keep pace. How does he look out there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad