Post-Game Talk: Senators def. Canucks - 4-3 (SO) (Miller, Boeser, Dermott)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gaudette should have asked where's Sutter after scoring

Might as well go for the ultimate troll award

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
it feels like the hockey gods set up #Canucks fans hope only to dash them with Gaudette to emphasize what a f*** up Jim Benning is...

and honestly, fair. gg, well played.

really it's a service for everyone to understand what a terrible GM he was.

Reactions: Jimnastic

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
it was a poor choice. You dont have to be a mathmatics wizard to understand that Petan hasn't scored in the NHL in over 3yrs and has had PP usage in that time.

Podkolzin has 14 goals this season...odd choice at that point in the SO

The fact we were in that position after missing so many chances is unfortunate
Spot on post all around. It doesn’t take an expert to see that Boudreau has an issue playing rookies and leans weirdly on certain players. Meh.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Spot on post all around. It doesn’t take an expert to see that Boudreau has an issue playing rookies and leans weirdly on certain players. Meh.
It was a poor against the odds decision. I get the logic that Petan has good hands but it would be like a baseball manager electing to put his season on a pinch hitter that hasn't hit on a left hander in forever and expecting him to clutch up against a left hander in a high pressure situation and get a hit

When i saw Petan come up my exact words were " Petan really.... he's not gonna score he hasn't scored in forever."

Wasn't surprised in the least he didn't

Nov 1, 2011
Low bar. you're pumped about playing games where we are not mathematically out of the playoffs with 12 games left. Thats a terribly low expectation.

good teams take playoffs as a given, and are looking at how they are gonna win 16 in the playoffs. different standards.

We're not a good team.

It's okay to enjoy a not that good team.

You seem to be against anyone enjoying the team at all. It's annoying.

How does being this negative about something you clearly put time into affect your life? It can't be good.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
it was a poor choice. You dont have to be a mathmatics wizard to understand that Petan hasn't scored in the NHL in over 3yrs and has had PP usage in that time.

Podkolzin has 14 goals this season...odd choice at that point in the SO

The fact we were in that position after missing so many chances is unfortunate
Have you watched much of Petan? Do you know what kind of player he was in junior?

As @MS said, the reason he hasn't been a regular in the NHL isn't because of his hands. It's because he's not fast enough to offset his lack of size, and not big enough to offset his lack of speed. I wouldn't have argued with Podz as a choice, but Petan is very defensible. I expect Petan has probably performed well in shootouts in practice as well.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
petan is a reasonable safe choice but reasonable and safe didn't get them 2 points.

I'd have sent out Hughes, honestly.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Did a lot things right but far from a complete game. Defensively holes showed up all night both ways indicating the overall breakdown in team play. Ottawa could afford this but we couldn't. Can only get so far on energy and try.

Good

Miller - looked very fatigued but fought thru to again give the team a chance.

Garland - another night of being a whirling dervish. So much offense goes thru this player.

Boeser - best game in awhile. If he played every game like this you have no trouble with his QO.

Hughes - some difficulties in his end but his ability to get out of his zone and his passing were excellent. Maybe overplayed some but team was leaning on him in this one. Hopefully can work on his shot this off season, but every other aspect of his offensive game is elite even at this level.

Lammikko - too bad he isn't more gifted around the goal but he was creating chances and unlucky not to score. His line with Highmore and Lockwood played well both ways. Just too bad they have such little offensive finish.

Hunt - very good on the second goal and moved the puck well throughout. Often out with the weakest forwards and had to be good around the net to breakup plays. Thought he moved in and out of the play well.

Not so Good

Pettersson - had a rough one. Loused up some of the PPs with weak passes and wildly inaccurate shots. Mercurial player who can be all world and then look lost. Would not have picked him for the shoot out given the way he was mishandling the puck all game.

Petan - some good moments but he didn't end up doing much with the chances he had and was poor trying to get the puck out of his end. Got to cut him some slack however b/c he was out of position playing the wing

Others

Dermott - real mixed night. Got into the play in the offensive zone more and created some good o-zone time and scored a crucial goal. Mostly ok coming out of his zone but chasing the play in his end, at times, leading to good scoring chances.

Lockwood - if this player could score he would be a very good asset. But history and this game shows that's a forlorn hope. Still he showing well enough to have a NHL future.

Richardson - another good effort. Can't really see it but maybe gets another year in the League.

Halak - outstanding in the first and it is legit to speculate that he could have carries the team to a win in this game had he not got hurt

Real problem for the team is that teams they must catch aren't coming back to them. Loss of any point thus becomes critical.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It was a poor against the odds decision. I get the logic that Petan has good hands but it would be like a baseball manager electing to put his season on a pinch hitter that hasn't hit on a left hander in forever and expecting him to clutch up against a left hander in a high pressure situation and get a hit

Yeah but he had plenty of hits off AA lefty pitchers this year.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Have you watched much of Petan? Do you know what kind of player he was in junior?

As @MS said, the reason he hasn't been a regular in the NHL isn't because of his hands. It's because he's not fast enough to offset his lack of size, and not big enough to offset his lack of speed. I wouldn't have argued with Podz as a choice, but Petan is very defensible. I expect Petan has probably performed well in shootouts in practice as well.
Yes watched Petan in junior? That was 7 yrs ago

Odds were stacked against this working.

He has nice hands and is an offensive player in the AHL but you cannot EVER go against recent momentum and expect that to work out positively. He hasn't scored in 3 plus years in the NHL and his career shooting pct is 3.9%

Matthew Highmore would have been a better choice career 7.2% shooter who also was a top scorer in junior even Dries has been a much better goal scorer in Abby and just scored

Last edited:
Reactions: gianni and wonton15

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I'm getting too old for this. :laugh:

When we won those last 6 games, we played well and had some luck. We should have potted 4 more goals in regulation, but fortune didn't smile on us tonight. Thankful for the 1 point - it may come in very handy. Embrace the stress. :thumbu:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Kind of poetic ending to the Canucks playoff hopes.

Im still not sure what Gaudette did exactly to get the treatment he got.

But, for now, he got the final say in that saga.

Could not bring my self to wake up at 5am so watched it on delay this morning. Enjoyed the game again. I just love to watch Pete & Boeser when they are on their game.

Was an obvious back2back game, with plenty of defensive gaffes. Schenn playing top4 mins two nights in a row should not be a thing.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
how a player does playing 5 on 5 is completely irrelevant when it comes to making a choice for a f***ing mini game

im not even hugely pro boudreau and i generally hate linden vey types but it’s a one on one skill competition

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Bruce needs to be SCREAMING at players after that 2nd. Countless scoring chances that they refuse to shoot. A must win game and they play over pass, perimeter bs. Didn't make their goalie make any real saves. Podz needs to play OT, don't mind the shootout choices, but OT is no excuse.

What an awful game for EP. Just when he was putting it together. Can't keep his game up for even half a season. Passes when he should shoot, misses the net when he does shoot, hell he can't even get a SOG in the shootout. Bambi's first beer on ice. 2 *****in years straight of missing the playoffs cuz the guy can't be bothered to do a set of deadlifts.

JT and Garland great efforts, Podz too.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
We're not a good team.

It's okay to enjoy a not that good team.

You seem to be against anyone enjoying the team at all. It's annoying.

How does being this negative about something you clearly put time into affect your life? It can't be good.
There are some conflicted sado-masochistic fans in the Canucks base. I suspect this happens everywhere. Your points are salient. Except. I disagree; We are a good team. Jim Benning made some good draft picks but killed us by over paying mediocre has beens.

When you take a look at what this team has done under Boudreau it is like night and day.

If you look at our record since we were spared the agony of Benning and Green, this is a cup contention team.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Tough loss. Thought we had that one. Why is Dries getting PP and OT ice time?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

When i saw Petan come up my exact words were " Petan really.... he's not gonna score he hasn't scored in forever."

Wasn't surprised in the least he didn't

8FA2D0C3-3227-4C7D-8D71-0E3002B6560E.gif

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Oh Twitter said something blah blah blah. It is an appeal to non-authority.
Unlike here?

In a crapshoot a smart coach rewards effort

Are you saying Prtan should have been rewarded in your circular argument?

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I mean…Petan was drafted 43rd overall. He was a highly touted offensive prospect and a force at the World Juniors. His offensive game has always been his calling card. It’s not like he’s some scrub - he just didn’t pan out as a top six player at the NHL level.

I don’t know if I’d have picked him in that moment, but I did feel he had a very strong game on the fourth line.
He is not strong on his skates, which makes him ineffective against bigger, faster and stronger guys

He is is minor league player. Even a below average team like ours has no room for him

Dries is a much better option. Not a big guy but fast and strong on his feet

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Massive chokejob in the biggest game of the year with that lead vs a bad team. Completely inexcusable. That should be the focus.

Boudreau has gotten way too much credit for this second-half run but ripping him for using Petan in the shootout is dumb. Many people exposing themselves in this thread/online as fundamentally not understanding the difference between 5v5 and a shootout. You have to assume Petan showed well in practice vs everyone else which is 1000x more important than what a player does in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He is not strong on his skates, which makes him ineffective against bigger, faster and stronger guys

He is is minor league player. Even a below average team like ours has no room for him

Dries is a much better option. Not a big guy but fast and strong on his feet

In game I agree Dries is a better option to play, but I was referring more to his shootout deployment.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Can't win em all, but we basically had to. Well the team wasn't good enough as constructed to make the playoffs, it looks like. Some bad luck going against them, but bad luck is inevitable - the thing is, If the Panthers run in to bad luck they maybe win 3-2 or maybe win 6-3, instead of winning 7-1. The team is probably not ready this year to match up against Calgary, they'd probably get embarrassed. It would probably be good experience still, even if they get knocked out in 4 by Calgary or more likely first round by Edmonton. Embassarring, but useful experience. But they are not good enough to get there.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
The question becomes, with a whole year of Bruce, are they good enough to make the playoffs? It looks like it. But then we get to the same problem, do they have any chance in the playoffs, against teams better than Ottawa? We aren't beating bad teams when we get unlucky. The Rangers are beating good teams even when they get unlucky.

Reactions: LordBacon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese