Post-Game Talk: Senators def. Canucks - 4-3 (SO) (Miller, Boeser, Dermott)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wow i must have missed Petan being drafted in the first round for his sick hands
I mean…Petan was drafted 43rd overall. He was a highly touted offensive prospect and a force at the World Juniors. His offensive game has always been his calling card. It’s not like he’s some scrub - he just didn’t pan out as a top six player at the NHL level.

I don’t know if I’d have picked him in that moment, but I did feel he had a very strong game on the fourth line.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Canucks play lights out when there are no more expectations. The second the playoff window slightly opens they bottle it. Just like they did against Buffalo and Detroit a few weeks ago.
They still have a chance.

LA is up by 5

If the Canucks win the game in hand and beat LA in the remaining head to head that is just one point difference with both teams having 3 other remaining games. It's not high probability but there not insignificant chance.

Annihilator Gator

Dec 29, 2018
Sadly petey did not look great on the shootout. That's usually an easy one for home, maybe pre this year. Still not bad. Not sure about the petan call. But with horvat out. I dunno, hughes has slick hands not sure why that's never a thing. Either way. Is what it is. Was a should win game but lets keep rolling the dice.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
the thing is this is supposed to be the easy game.

we still have to play Wild, Flames, Oilers.

with an entire line missing and Demko looking fatigue, and Halak injured.

Even no playoffs I think lots of positives to bring for next year.

Reactions: CanuckCity

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So I missed the game. Was working, but was checking the box score. I just found it pretty funny who scored the shootout winner.

Feb 20, 2013
Awesome game. Canucks deserved the 2 points, but couldn't bury their chances. The way they have been playing they were only going to lose was a little bit of bad luck and that happened tonight. Can't fault the effort at all.

For those of you complaining that this late-season winning will negatively affect our draft selection, it really doesn't. You can only move up 10 spots and the lottery odds from 12-16th last place change by fractions of a %. In all likelihood (98%) if the Canucks finish 17th overall, they will pick 16th. In the 2022 draft, in that pick range you are in the 4th tier of players (by consensus ranking) and there are a group of players who will be available from about 12-16 that you will probably get one of. Good scouting matters much more than draft position outside of the 1st overall (Wright) , the top 5 and the next 5-7. It is such a minor negative it really makes no real sense to cheer for the tank.

These sort of good games at the end of a season will provide more positivity for the Canucks moving forward than some minor percentage points towards the possibility of picking 5th or 15th instead of 6th or 16th.

Reactions: Indiana

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
A chancd hughes brainfarts on d again for sure
Literally nobody in hockey agrees with you.

Hughes is literally a star who is becoming a superstar. You not understanding the game and thinking that defence has to consist of big hits isn't his problem, it's yours.

Hughes isn't the best defensive defence man in the league, but he is superlative offensively and is a very competent top 4 Dman defensively. Full stop. I guarantee you that anyone who is even tertiarily related to the NHL would laugh in your face when you spout that opinion.

Reactions: B-rock

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Buddy, you are the king of bad takes. Your hatred of Hughes is so petty.

Hughes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you

Hughes has blown several games no bad take thats the truth his d is not great his stats hide some poor d that cost this team games and at 8 million a yr he deserves the criticism giving him a free pass is the worst take and lmao hope hes better than me because im not in nhl at 8 million a yr .what a poor argument and defense of what was Hughes bad defense again

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I mean, you could use that argument for saying we should have used Highmore.

Petan is a hands guy who is an automatic selection in the shootout at lower levels. This is his jam. Podkolzin is playing terrific right now but he is not a breakaway/dekes guy.

I think there's something to be said about how we *should* play in terms of approach vs. expectations. If you send Podkolzin over the bench with how he's been playing, and he misses, do we really say "Petan should have taken the shot."? I don't think so.

Buuuuut, should we appreciate a little bit more that Bruce went with a more colorful choice? I do. No matter what, regardless of my hypothetical, in the event that we lost someone out there is going to be saying "X should have shot." 100% of the time. That's what we do. You always play "what if?" when you lose, never when you win. Now, I think Petan wasn't a bad choice. Would I have picked him? Probably not. But that's probably because I'm playing with the idea of what gets me the least amount of shit if I'm wrong. Petan as you said, was drafted on high talent. I don't know much about the guy, but I watched him long ago at the WJCs. My ignorant scouting report reads something like "High skill, small frame, never made the show regularly, probably not great at skating." That's definitely the guy you don't mind sending in the shootout, but that's just me.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

Hughes is literally a star who is becoming a superstar. You not understanding the game and thinking that defence has to consist of big hits isn't his problem, it's yours.

Hughes isn't the best defensive defence man in the league, but he is superlative offensively and is a very competent top 4 Dman defensively. Full stop. I guarantee you that anyone who is even tertiarily related to the NHL would laugh in your face when you spout that opinion.
Actually lots agree if you are 10 feet outside your check with his wheels no excuse his d for his pay is not good enough.

HeLord

Feb 19, 2022
Hughes has blown several games no bad take thats the truth his d is not great his stats hide some poor d that cost this team games and at 8 million a yr he deserves the criticism giving him a free pass is the worst take and lmao hope hes better than me because im not in nhl at 8 million a yr .what a poor argument and defense of what was Hughes bad defense again

Another horrible take. Take the L like you always do.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Actually lots agree if you are 10 feet outside your check with his wheels no excuse his d for his pay is not good enough.
Oh yeah? Who agrees? Not the guy on the barstool next to you. Find a reputable hockey mind who agrees with you?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

So whats Hughes the star won us ?
Better than Makar ?
Good enough to win us games with big d and shots ?
He is quick passing is great his d coverage and play are often a liability what wins cups ?
Hes a good 2nd pair pp guy not an 8 million a yr #1 when he answers yes to those questions above lets talk

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
So whats Hughes the star won us ?
Better than Makar ?
Good enough to win us games with big d and shots ?
He is quick passing is great his d coverage and play are often a liability what wins cups ?
Hes a good 2nd pair pp guy not an 8 million a yr #1 when he answers yes to those questions above lets talk
So has he, at 22 years old on a team that has been bad most of his time here won the Stanley Cup yet? No.

Is he better than what looks like a generational talent in Cale Makar? No.

Wow, checkmate. Those are fantastic points that nobody can argue against.

The NHL should just be Cale Makar and the Stanley Cup. Nothing and nobody else deserves to be up there.

I'd love to ask you to name 64 better D than Quinn Hughes to support your assertion that he is a '2nd pairing guy' but I'm honestly not sure you could name 64 NHL players without googling.

Reactions: B-rock

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Oh yeah? Who agrees? Not the guy on the barstool next to you. Find a reputable hockey mind who agrees with you?
Lol he got owned on a goal leading to a loss and its been many his game needs to be better on d this team goes nowhere if he cant change that no amount of excuses fix that d wins cups .

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
So has he, at 22 years old on a team that has been bad most of his time here won the Stanley Cup yet? No.

Is he better than what looks like a generational talent in Cale Makar? No.

Wow, checkmate. Those are fantastic points that nobody can argue against.

The NHL should just be Cale Makar and the Stanley Cup. Nothing and nobody else deserves to be up there.

I'd love to ask you to name 64 better D than Quinn Hughes to support your assertion that he is a '2nd pairing guy' but I'm honestly not sure you could name 64 NHL players without googling.

Point is Hughes cant shy away from plays when it counts he has enough speed and smarts to be better and for his money he should be and if he isnt next year and beyond the canucks suffer his cap hit for pp flash poor d and will not go far .
His game has to be better on d its work its effort and sacrifice if he wants to win he needs to get better playing defense

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
gaudette put a dagger on the canucks playoff chances.. pods should have been in over petan... wtf. boeser sucks at shootouts.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The kind of reactionaries who are freaking out over a shootout loss after 6 straight wins down the stretch know nothing about Petan's skill set. They just feel upset and need somewhere to express it.
it was a poor choice. You dont have to be a mathmatics wizard to understand that Petan hasn't scored in the NHL in over 3yrs and has had PP usage in that time.

Podkolzin has 14 goals this season...odd choice at that point in the SO

The fact we were in that position after missing so many chances is unfortunate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: