Post-Game Talk: Senators def. Canucks - 4-3 (SO) (Miller, Boeser, Dermott)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I mean, you could use that argument for saying we should have used Highmore.

Petan is a hands guy who is an automatic selection in the shootout at lower levels. This is his jam. Podkolzin is playing terrific right now but he is not a breakaway/dekes guy.
He can shoot play the guy whos on a roll dumb fu coaching

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Its a breakaway against a goalie

Pretty sure first rounder Podz has done that just a few times

Shit ass decision…. Full stop

If they don’t bring Bruce back i am fine with it
I'm sure the coaches have watched hundreds of penalty shots from Pods alone. I don't get the OT usage but I'm fine trusting their judgement on penalty shots. The goalies likely have a say in who is the hardest to stop as well

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Spencer Martin to travel with the team on the road - no Halak

Binnington-esque run to end the season and go to the cup

• Haha
Reactions: geebaan

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
A shit team really? I understand your frustration but Ottawa have a good young team, the Canucks are not playoffs were never really an option. we just prolonged the inevitable and f***ed our draft position in the ma
Even if this run is unsuccessful, I can appreciate watching games that I’m emotionally invested in because they’re in the fight. I know pragmatically that isn’t good for our draft position at the end of the day if they fail, but f*** I love playoff hockey and these last few games have had that intensity level for me. I’m not kidding when I say tonight’s loss hurt the most since Game 7 vs Vegas because tonight felt like a playoff game, and every playoff loss brings you closer to elimination.

They played hard tonight and dominated this game for stretches. It sucks they didn’t bury more, but oh well. Bring on the Minnesota game - just hope these guys can keep this kind of intensity up, win or lose.

I think the hard part is whether this is the ceiling with this group. Because of the dumb contracts Benning signed we’re going to have to shed some salary and lose players.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I'm sure the coaches have watched hundreds of penalty shots from Pods alone. I don't get the OT usage but I'm fine trusting their judgement on penalty shots.
Canucks twitter thinks otherwise

Bruce is getting roasted

As he should be

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I mean, you could use that argument for saying we should have used Highmore.

Petan is a hands guy who is an automatic selection in the shootout at lower levels. This is his jam. Podkolzin is playing terrific right now but he is not a breakaway/dekes guy.
Wow i must have missed Petan being drafted in the first round for his sick hands

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Low bar. you're pumped about playing games where we are not mathematically out of the playoffs with 12 games left. Thats a terribly low expectation.

good teams take playoffs as a given, and are looking at how they are gonna win 16 in the playoffs. different standards.
Given that your entire outlook on hockey appears to be a low bar, I thought you’d appreciate it more. Guess not?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the hard part is whether this is the ceiling with this group. Because of the dumb contracts Benning signed we’re going to have to shed some salary and lose players.

Oh, don’t get me wrong - even if we manage to squeeze into the playoffs, I still foresee big changes coming this off season. Rutherford and Allvin are going to put their own stamp on this team. All that really remains to be seen is who they decide to keep to build around, and who they decide to move on from.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Helluva game. The fatigue of the back to back made for some sloppy finish, play and execution but no denying the effort. Just not enough horses. Not sure why Dries replaced Podkolzin in OT that was odd and he looked scared to mess it up which is not ideal.

Horvat Hoglander Pearson out at the wrong time unfortunately even Chiasson who was on a heater.

Of course it was Gaudette with the winner and Petan is so snake bit at the NHL level I'm not sure why he used him but whatever shouldn't have put themselves in that position. I can see the logic as an offensive guy but you need to follow trends and his was not likely gonna get it done.

Demko looked bagged as did so many of the guys who just gutted it out. B2Bs are so pathetic. At least this time both teams were on one so it was fair.

Sad to see it slipping away

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Even if this run is unsuccessful, I can appreciate watching games that I’m emotionally invested in because they’re in the fight. I know pragmatically that isn’t good for our draft position at the end of the day if they fail, but f*** I love playoff hockey and these last few games have had that intensity level for me. I’m not kidding when I say tonight’s loss hurt the most since Game 7 vs Vegas because tonight felt like a playoff game, and every playoff loss brings you closer to elimination.

They played hard tonight and dominated this game for stretches. It sucks they didn’t bury more, but oh well. Bring on the Minnesota game - just hope these guys can keep this kind of intensity up, win or lose.

I would typically agree, but this team I don't think was ever bad enough to be a top 5 peanut butter-diaper of a team this season. Outside of that, I don't think there's really much of a difference between drafting 12 or 16. I love playoff hockey too, I love being emotionally invested in a team that deserves to be, and I'm even prouder to call myself a Vancouverite...which is why I'll never cheer for another team. Quite frankly, I'm tired of cheering for this team to lose so that we can be competitive sooner again. Those years should have been over by now, which is why a lot of us are frustrated. I'm tired of following the prospects because the team a) doesn't really have any, and b) doesn't inspire that much excitement.

I miss cheering for a team that genuinely makes me look forward to games instead of dutifully checking each calendar day down before we can draft someone to help us get back to relevancy. This month has been a nice little oasis for my fandom, much like August 2020 was, where I can actually dissect every little play, scour over every save with baited breath, like I used to when I started watching the team when I was 12. The raw emotional side of the fandom too long was plagued by what I thought was a very dogmatic and conservative view of the appreciation for what this sport and this team can mean. Let's get back there, eh?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The problem I had with petan in the shootout was he hasn't demonstrated any kind of ability to score against NHL caliber goalies this season.

I was prepared to be pleasantly surprised if he did manage to score but the actual result was not surprising at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad