Sportsnet: Senators’ Dorion talks team’s payroll, off-season moves and 2019-20 optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You are right on all accounts, but saying things like 'we're so stacked we can afford to have one or two prospects bust' is foolish.

We're not stacked anywhere in our pool. We have a very large group of legit NHL prospects with one elite (Brannstrom), and two very good ones (Bathtub, Brown). Lassi might move into one of these groups, but atm he's not there yet.

Being hopeful is good and fine, and I guarantee you we all are, but let's not be too unrealistic as to say our prospect pool is 'stacked'.

We are stacked with quality goaltending prospects, and we have at least 3 top 4 potential quality defence men, not including Wolanin, and Branstrom has elite potential.

To me that’s stacked for kids in those to positions, and we’ll be adding more high picks over the next two years for certain. Some won’t pan out, sure, but while the kids are still looking promising, I figure I’ll just keep enjoying the suspense and excitement of it all. After all, we don’t get to live through a full blown rebuild very often!

We need more forwards, for sure, but we have a ton of quality kids looking to crack the NHL, which tends to be what happens when you trade away star vets, and finish at the bottom of the league for a few years.

Next year we need to add an elected forward, or two.

I’ll leave it to you to be ‘realistic’, I’m more than happy in the warm embrace of my opinion on this matter :)

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Playoff competitive in 3 or 4 years means 2021-2022 and 2022-2023, leaving 2019-20 and 2020-21 as years 1 and 2. Personally I don’t see a playoff team until 4 or 5 years ahead at best. There are no quality vets left on this team.

What exactly is a quality vet? The vets brought in this year, with the exception of Zaitsev, are here to help stabilize. They aren't here to lead us to any promised land.

When does one actually become a quality vet?

5 years from now
Chabot will have played 500 games
Brannstrom will have 300 games
The other young D projected to be potential top 4s will be in season 3 or better of their careers.

White will have played 500 games
Tkachuk will be over 400
Batherson over 300
There are a whack of guys that we could list that will be over 200 depending on which pan out

And we need one of our goalie prospects to become a starter

I see a playoff quality team by the drop of the puck in 2021. We need some of our prospects to pan out for that to happen but there appears to be enough depth that we certainly do not require every prospect to hit their ceiling.

I try to separate the players we have versus the ownership situation. If the ownership stays and the budget situation also stays, fielding a playoff competitive team likely never happens.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What exactly is a quality vet? The vets brought in this year, with the exception of Zaitsev, are here to help stabilize. They aren't here to lead us to any promised land.

5 years from now
The other young D projected to be potential top 4s will be in season 3 or better of their careers.

Tkachuk will be over 400
Batherson over 300
There are a whack of guys that we could list that will be over 200 depending on which pan out

I see a playoff quality team by the drop of the puck in 2021. We need some of our prospects to pan out for that to happen but there appears to be enough depth that we certainly do not require every prospect to hit their ceiling.

I try to separate the players we have versus the ownership situation. If the ownership stays and the budget situation also stays, fielding a playoff competitive team likely never happens.

Would be surprised if even 1 or 2 are still with the team in 5 years.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

5 years from now

Tkachuk will be over 400
Batherson over 300

The vets brought in this year are there to help reach the cap floor. Nothing else.

I also like how Batherson who's only played 20 NHL games is already pencilled in as having played 300games... I'll bet you that if they have a bunch of 200+ game guys at that point, then it's likely because they had no choice and they were the cheapest option available and not necessarily have to do with talent.

Also, when was the last time the Sens drafted/acquired a prospect who became a legitimate starter for the team? I just checked and since 1992 the Sens have drafted 2 goalies who've had NHL success (Ray Emery - RIP and Robin Lehner). Of the 2, Lehner is a legitimate NHL starter but the most he played with Ottawa was 36g in a season. So even while here he was a backup and only really put things together the past few seasons. So it's really optimistic to think one of the current goalies will turn into a legitimate starter on any NHL team.

I think people are really overestimating what this organization has with respect to prospects. They have a lot of decent pieces that would make a great supporting cast, but no game breakers or legitimate stars like Karlsson and Stone.

I don't think this team has a plan for the future other than spend as little money as possible TODAY. If the team legitimately wanted to build a winning team, they'd at least hire a front office. At this point, the Gatineau Olympiques and Ottawa 67's have a better front offices than the Senators.

Reactions: Sens

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
The vets brought in this year are there to help reach the cap floor. Nothing else.

I also like how Batherson who's only played 20 NHL games is already pencilled in as having played 300games... I'll bet you that if they have a bunch of 200+ game guys at that point, then it's likely because they had no choice and they were the cheapest option available and not necessarily have to do with talent.

Also, when was the last time the Sens drafted/acquired a prospect who became a legitimate starter for the team? I just checked and since 1992 the Sens have drafted 2 goalies who've had NHL success (Ray Emery - RIP and Robin Lehner). Of the 2, Lehner is a legitimate NHL starter but the most he played with Ottawa was 36g in a season. So even while here he was a backup and only really put things together the past few seasons. So it's really optimistic to think one of the current goalies will turn into a legitimate starter on any NHL team.

I think people are really overestimating what this organization has with respect to prospects. They have a lot of decent pieces that would make a great supporting cast, but no game breakers or legitimate stars like Karlsson and Stone.

I don't think this team has a plan for the future other than spend as little money as possible TODAY. If the team legitimately wanted to build a winning team, they'd at least hire a front office. At this point, the Gatineau Olympiques and Ottawa 67's have a better front offices than the Senators.

LOL, I hadn't even thought of this, take a look at the 67's front office and compare to Sens, the NHL hasn't even updated our page as I guess it would be too embarassing.

Hockey Operations - Ottawa 67s

Front Office

If you really want to see how we compare around the league you can find the leafs front office here: Maple Leafs Management

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
More hot air,and little else....The team has done nothing but sell off more assets for cash,yet tells us everything is fine ...Lets give TB an easy out from their cap hell so they can help pay our bills,really puts everything into prospective

Reactions: RaMai and MiscBrah

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013

I disagree with your evaluation of our prospects.

Imo Tkachuk Batherson White Brown will be fantastic players in the next 3 or 4 years.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Imo Tkachuk Batherson White Brown will be fantastic players in the next 3 or 4 years.

After all the talent the Sens shipped out they don’t even have a top 10 prospect system... it’s sad

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
After all the talent the Sens shipped out they don’t even have a top 10 prospect system... it’s sad

I mean I’m not worried. When the tdl comes around we’ll trade pageau for a second + and then we’ll have a bunch of 2nd rounders. I bet we end up with like 3 1st.

It will be a defining draft for this franchise

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Chabot, Batherson, Tkachuk and White all existed before we sold off our players for LTIR contracts and low salary high cap

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I mean I’m not worried. When the tdl comes around we’ll trade pageau for a second + and then we’ll have a bunch of 2nd rounders. I bet we end up with like 3 1st.

So Brannstrom, Pinto and two additional firsts for Duchene, Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Dzingle...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Did you see this past draft... bunch of character foot soliders

Sens are looking for prospects that won’t be to expensive in the future if they develop

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Brian Elliott?

But yeah, Ottawa's track record of goalie development has not been great.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Meh, we hold opposing perspectives on virtually everything, so no surprises here. I’m fine with that.
I guess if you prefer quantity over quality, you could say its stacked. Our big problem is quality. We could have all our prospects pan out and we'd still only have a team that would have to fight till the last day of the NHL schedule to make the playoffs. I'd trade every single one of our prospects not named Batherson for a legit young #1 C and RD.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I am thinking that they will bring in more vets as the time goes on.

Lest we forget.... we are in tank phase.

Relax

With our current front office, if you think quality vets will come here, and that we'll sign them (especially considering Eugene's new stance on UFA's - 26 == too old for a UFA contract), I think you need to be pinched to wake up from that dream.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I’m not trying to give false hope, I honestly believe they’re on their way to building a quality team. We have some great pieces and we’ll be adding more 3 years we’re in the PO’s consistently.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
+ Norris who is very underrated, Balcers, whatever our return on Demelo + the 2nds we got from Dzingel + Davidsson

Looks like a lot of quantity, but not quality. Brannstrom is the only real quality piece that we got in return for any of those guys. Everything else is just lottery tickets.

We should have got a Brannstrom-esque player for Duchene and EK as well, but PD cratered his leverage and was dealing from a position of weakness in every deal.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Looks like a lot of quantity, but not quality. Brannstrom is the only real quality piece that we got in return for any of those guys. Everything else is just lottery tickets.

We should have got a Brannstrom-esque player for Duchene and EK as well, but PD cratered his leverage and was dealing from a position of weakness in every deal.
Brannstrom level or more first rounders, we couldn't pull off either trading 3 of the top 10 players at their respective positions. Embarrassing frankly

Reactions: Rand0m

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

Not many posts I can agree with you, this one is easy and I think you are 100% correct!

I'm sure Tkachuk, Batherson and White will be fantastic players, not to sure about Brown but he has at least the tools...so highly possible as well.
The big question is for whom are those guys playing in 3-4 years, my guess is only Brown will be left on the Sens as he will not reach his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad