Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Isn't his ELC going to be shorter than the average one due to Sorokin's age? Isn't it only going to be a year (maybe 2)?

It will be a one year ELC at this point for Sorokin. If he comes over at the end of the season and gets in a game or two, that ELC season could be burned and he'd directly go into his RFA contract in 2020-21.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It will be a one year ELC at this point for Sorokin. If he comes over at the end of the season and gets in a game or two, that ELC season could be burned and he'd directly go into his RFA contract in 2020-21.

If it goes to an RFA contract it likely won't cost much, but he could still use the KHL as leverage to get what he wants.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
If it goes to an RFA contract it likely won't cost much, but he could still use the KHL as leverage to get what he wants.
Well seeing as what this current crop of RFA's is doing/getting, I wouldn't be surprised if Sorokin asks for a big payday if he performs well. Obviously this is all contingent on if he ACTUALLY ever comes to NA

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’ve watched a lot of Varly over the years. He’s boom or bust; if he plays lights out, this team can reach 103 pts again. Varly can steal games, when he’s locked in he’s one of the best goalies in the league. But if he’s not locked in enough, or is hurt, or is plain mediocre. Welcome to a mediocre season.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but my take on Varlamov is that Korn told Lou/Trotz that he saw a guy that he could turn into one of the consistently best goalies in the league. But we'll see.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but my take on Varlamov is that Korn told Lou/Trotz that he saw a guy that he could turn into one of the consistently best goalies in the league. But we'll see.
And maybe Korn told Lou/Barry that he didn't think Lehner could repeat the season he just had.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I hope Varlamov succeeds as much as anyone and do believe that when he is on his game over the last 4-5 years, he is as good as anyone and can steal games. However, I am genuinely afraid that if he stinks up the joint early in the season, it could get ugly and I mean REALLY ugly. I already think the majority of Isles fans are not happy with the signing and the choice over Lehner. If he comes in and looks like Greiss of 2 years ago (allowing 4-5 goals every game), I could see the booing of him at home games reaching epic proportions. And based on the way Trotz criticized the fans for certain things last year, if things go bad and no further moves are made I could see the already frustrated fan base getting back into the kind of animosity relationship with the team that we saw two years ago when the players were speaking out against the fans booing and chanting about Snow/Weight. I hope Varly plays like a Vezina candidate, but I could absolutely see this going really bad.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
On the latest Spittin' Chiclets interview with Sean Burke, he specifically credited the goalie coach in Phoenix for re-invigorating his play as a 35 year old and allowing him to be an All-Star, 3rd in the Vezina and 4th in the Hart.

That makes me extremely appreciative having Korn & co. with the Isles and relieves a lot of worry with Varlamov (outside of the injuries).

Reactions: MJF

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
None of us know anything about how or why this decision was made. It's done. If Varly is great, good on Lou and staff. If he is so-so or terrible, or regularly injured, there will be hell to pay. Doubly so if at the same time Lehner shines in CHI behind a sh*tty defense. This will be one of Lou's defining decisions. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I like the player and trust the coaches to evaluate him vs Lehner but the term is just hard to wrap my head around. Similar to the Komorov deal, I can't imagine that we really needed to add a 3rd (much less a 4th!!!) year to close the deal.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I hope Varlamov succeeds as much as anyone and do believe that when he is on his game over the last 4-5 years, he is as good as anyone and can steal games. However, I am genuinely afraid that if he stinks up the joint early in the season, it could get ugly and I mean REALLY ugly. I already think the majority of Isles fans are not happy with the signing and the choice over Lehner. If he comes in and looks like Greiss of 2 years ago (allowing 4-5 goals every game), I could see the booing of him at home games reaching epic proportions. And based on the way Trotz criticized the fans for certain things last year, if things go bad and no further moves are made I could see the already frustrated fan base getting back into the kind of animosity relationship with the team that we saw two years ago when the players were speaking out against the fans booing and chanting about Snow/Weight. I hope Varly plays like a Vezina candidate, but I could absolutely see this going really bad.

The reason why Griess was giving up 4-5 goals per game was because the team was giving up 50-60 shots per game. Given our coaching staff and successful defensive structure last year, I'm not too worried about goaltending.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
None of us know anything about how or why this decision was made. It's done. If Varly is great, good on Lou and staff. If he is so-so or terrible, or regularly injured, there will be hell to pay. Doubly so if at the same time Lehner shines in CHI behind a sh*tty defense. This will be one of Lou's defining decisions. It's that simple.
It's true that we don't KNOW, but we do know.

It wasn't merely Lou reading stats and deciding Varlamov needed $20 million.

Lou has a great defensive coach who also happens to be a genius at dealing with players. And Lou has the acknowledged goalie guru/whisperer working for him. So we know he consulted with them. I think we can extrapolate that after consulting with Trotz and Korn, Lou decided that Varlamov was the better option (for whatever reasons).

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's true that we don't KNOW, but we do know.

It wasn't merely Lou reading stats and deciding Varlamov needed $20 million.

Lou has a great defensive coach who also happens to be a genius at dealing with players. And Lou has the acknowledged goalie guru/whisperer working for him. So we know he consulted with them. I think we can extrapolate that after consulting with Trotz and Korn, Lou decided that Varlamov was the better option (for whatever reasons).
All of that may be true but the reasons why will only matter on these pages and in the press and only until Oct. After that, it's put up or get crucified time. Isles fans will have even less mercy than usual if this one goes south.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d be stays healthy is a fine starting goalie. I’m happy we have greiss though. I know Varly has the big contract but we can depend on Greiss and Trotz won’t hesitate to play the best guy. They should really push each other like Greiss and Lehner did last year

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I’ve watched a lot of Varly over the years. He’s boom or bust; if he plays lights out, this team can reach 103 pts again. Varly can steal games, when he’s locked in he’s one of the best goalies in the league. But if he’s not locked in enough, or is hurt, or is plain mediocre. Welcome to a mediocre season.
Wait....so he's boom, bust or in the middle? Way to go out on a limb there.

Reminds me of the old Mitch Hedberg line....
upload_2019-7-19_15-40-57.jpeg

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That can be said for a lot of starting goalies in the league. What separates good goalies from bad ones is the consistency. Pointing out that he is in fact not consistent enough, makes it even harder to believe we hit 103 points again.

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
Varley is a buster ... he’s crap .. hope I’m wrong ... but this year is about playing the kids and if we get busted up and have a high pick next year , I’ll take it !

Reactions: Riseonfire

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Varley is a buster ... he’s crap .. hope I’m wrong ... but this year is about playing the kids and if we get busted up and have a high pick next year , I’ll take it !
That's the exact antithesis of what this season should be. A majority of our roster is experienced. Other than Toews, there aren't too many evaluation based players. Beau, maybe...

This team swept their way into the second round, if this upcoming session was more predicated on evaluation, then why bring back Nelson, Eberle, and Lee to long term deals?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I’d prefer to build on last year and try to win at least 2 playoff series this year. I’m a draft nut and an avid follower of junior and college hockey. That being said, I won’t no part of a lottery pick for a king time. We should be focused on winning at this time.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
How did Lehner's history look when the Isles signed him? Bleak. Who thought Lehner would become a Vezina candidate last season? No one. Did Lehner have a good goalie coach? One of the best. Sounds a lot like a guy named Varlamov I've heard of.

Reactions: BTrotts19

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
All of that may be true but the reasons why will only matter on these pages and in the press and only until Oct. After that, it's put up or get crucified time. Isles fans will have even less mercy than usual if this one goes south.
Yeah, that's true. Lehner was a fan fav.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Yeah, that's true. Lehner was a fan fav.
A fan favorite who openly campaigned to return. Sucks the way things played out. That being said, I am admittedly curious as to why Lehner took another one year prove it deal.

Despite my disliking of bringing in Varlamov, I'm objective to the fact that, all things considered Lehner took; what appears to be another prove it deal.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Wait....so he's boom, bust or in the middle? Way to go out on a limb there.

Reminds me of the old Mitch Hedberg line....
View attachment 245457

As I stated, when he’s on, he’s one of the better goalies in the league, when he’s not, pucks seem to get through him, softies of the Halak variety; hence the dichotomy. If he’s mediocre, imho, that’s a bust, but if he plays to his potential, enhances his game via Korn/Greco, and stays healthy, he can make saves that Lehner isn’t capable of.

For me, he’s a big question mark; that’s why I wouldn’t have given him 4 years.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
As much as I loved what Lehner did last year (and hope that he continues his success), he is in no way, a sure thing.

I really shake my head sometimes, reading posts about what posters think transpired, because 'we' just see the tip of the iceberg. We have no idea. Maybe he started going off the rails? Again, I admire his work and success, but addiction is a multi-headed beast. I bet we all know people who are high-functioning addicts. I am going to trust LL. We pined for someone like him, and now that we have him, we expect miracles overnight?

Varly is neither a slam dunk, nor an upgrade... yet. Why stress ourselves about something that seems so unpredictable? He has a decent history, how about we give him a chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad