Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I agree it's disingenuous but so is calling the Islanders one of the worst teams in the league before LL came on board.
The Islanders not having a permanent home is as much a problem as keeping and obtaining free agents as not having a winning team. Which is why Lou will soon find out its better to trade for these guys first and let them experience the town.
Garth Snow was certainly at a greater disadvantage than Lou with politics and management. If the Islanders missed in the draft than we were really screwed. If this building isn't built soon we too will wallow in mediocrity and false hope.
I'm really tired of not landing top talent and Lou is just continuing the same trend of our previous General Managers.
Were you in the "gotta give to get" camp re: trading Barzal for Duchene? Dobson for Stone or Duchene at TDL (even though they apparently wanted to be in LV and Nash long-term)?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
That is the highest praise that can be given to Snow - he left a team that did not have zero talent. On the other hand, he could live as long as Moses and be GM for 500 years and he'd still never win a Cup. But yeah, I'll grant you the "not zero talent" thing.

Only because you don't want to give Snow any credit for this current Islanders line up.
The large majority of fans have this real disdain or vitriol for Snow. I get the Tavares hate but not the anti-Garth so much.
Snow and every other GM in the league that doesn't win or rebuild well could have done a better job.
Snow is gone and it was time for him to go. Let's give Lou a chance.

Reactions: Quicklime

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Were you in the "gotta give to get" camp re: trading Barzal for Duchene? Dobson for Stone or Duchene at TDL (even though they apparently wanted to be in LV and Nash long-term)?

I was in the gotta get Panarin camp and I'm very happy Lou tried his best. If not for anything else it showed he has a pulse. I also believe they were serious about Trouba. I'm also very happy with Varlomov but I'll still take the wait and see approach.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The thing with Lehner that as a Mental Health advocate really bothers me is that he clearly had his mental illness held against him and was treated far worse than any other goalie in his situation would've been by both the team and the rest of the league. Players who are battling mental illness will be afraid from here on out to tell their story publicly because they know they will be forced to pay a price, and that is simply awful.
I see where you are coming from, but it is a Catch 22 situation. As a mental health professional I'm sure you understand that Lehner's affliction was going to manifest itself one way or another so I am not sure that his public admission makes much difference. In fact, based on his performance and behavior, he had one foot out of the NHL door already when Lou took the chance, a fact you seem to be forgetting. At the same time he appears to have cleaned up his life and he should be judged on his performance. Still, it's only a one year sample size and you can't blame an employer for taking that into account, plus, I am sure you are aware of the recidivism rates. Anyway, it's a tough situation but to call it "awful" is to see things outside of the realm of reality. There are no villains here, we all wish RL the very best and a long, productive and healthy career, the opportunity for which is still very much in his hands.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The thing with Lehner that as a Mental Health advocate really bothers me is that he clearly had his mental illness held against him and was treated far worse than any other goalie in his situation would've been by both the team and the rest of the league. Players who are battling mental illness will be afraid from here on out to tell their story publicly because they know they will be forced to pay a price, and that is simply awful.

Mike you are completely right in what you say.

What it comes down to unfortunately is money. As an owner you are risking millions of dollars on a goalie and you need him to be a sure thing. We all root for Lehner because of who he is but from a business side unfortunately you need to be risk adverse.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Maybe Sorokin decides to not sign a deal in the city where his fellow Russian goalie was booed out of town.

You mean, Sorokin has a time machine and can take the ink off the paper. I hope Varlamov works out and believe he will, but despite Lou saying their friendship is a fringe benefit, everyone and their mother knows this is more about enticing Sorokin to commit long term.

Reactions: nyisles and SI90

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Only because you don't want to give Snow any credit for this current Islanders line up.
The large majority of fans have this real disdain or vitriol for Snow. I get the Tavares hate but not the anti-Garth so much.
Snow and every other GM in the league that doesn't win or rebuild well could have done a better job.
Snow is gone and it was time for him to go. Let's give Lou a chance.
I absolutely credit Snow for his good draft picks and other moves. Barzal, Pulock, Pelech, Toews, etc.. I was probably more of a Snow defender than hater for most of the years he was GM. But the "ownership" excuse only goes so far and it became apparent after a while that he was too concerned with preserving his job/status versus doing the best for the team (eg., the coaches he hired - and not just head coaches).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Really dissapointed in this deal. Not a big fan of Varly. Even if Sorokin comes up and takes the spot, that's still 5 million on a backup. Next year Lou will have a cap crunch, I would rather have tried Lehner on another 1 year deal, then make the tough calls next year.

You decided to make this your first post here on HA Boards? You are going to have to up your burner account game if you want to be taken serious here.

Joined Tuesday huh?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mike you are completely right in what you say.

What it comes down to unfortunately is money. As an owner you are risking millions of dollars on a goalie and you need him to be a sure thing. We all root for Lehner because of who he is but from a business side unfortunately you need to be risk adverse.
And then they give a 4 year deal for the same $ per season to a guy who is older, not as good and with a significant injury history. The odds Varlamov's groin goes are every bit as big as Lehner having a relapse. Also something people aren't pointing out: if Varlamov gets off to a rocky start fans are going to turn on him bad and it could get real ugly.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And then they give a 4 year deal for the same $ per season to a guy who is older, not as good and with a significant injury history. The odds Varlamov's groin goes are every bit as big as Lehner having a relapse. Also something people aren't pointing out: if Varlamov gets off to a rocky start fans are going to turn on him bad and it could get real ugly.
He’s gonna get booed at the home opener. Same as Ron Hextall did. Book it.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Varlamov skill wise is a lateral move from Lehner
Both Lehner last year and Varlamov going forward will have played in front of a team that plays a tight checking defensive game which limits high danger chances.
Korn and Greco working with Varlamov could temper his style to avoid injuries. But let's not forget that 6 out of the past 7 seasons he played 50 or more games(yes I'm counting 49 as 50) and he's going to be in a platoon with Greiss.

He also is an incentive for Ilya Sorokin. Lehner is not.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
He’s gonna get booed at the home opener. Same as Ron Hextall did. Book it.

Yep, idiots booing the home team at their home opener.
No wonder Long Island is so high on players list to come.

I will expect he will work through it and have everyone on his side who will deny they ever did it as well.

Nothing you can do about such idiots but let them be idiots and support your team.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am sad to see Lehner leave and I am not a fan of giving Varlamov four years. However, if Korn and Greco believe that Varlamov can be better than Lehner with some work, that is good enough for me.

Ultimately, Varlamov needs to be solid for the next couple seasons and help get Sorokin over here and settled in. Then as Sorokin (hopefully) earns more playing time and the No. 1 job, the Isles can re-evaluate Varlamov's role. He could end up being a solid backup, traded (if he is still playing at a high level), lost to Seattle in the expansion draft or a buyout candidate.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am sad to see Lehner leave and I am not a fan of giving Varlamov four years. However, if Korn and Greco believe that Varlamov can be better than Lehner with some work, that is good enough for me.

Ultimately, Varlamov needs to be solid for the next couple seasons and help get Sorokin over here and settled in. Then as Sorokin (hopefully) earns more playing time and the No. 1 job, the Isles can re-evaluate Varlamov's role. He could end up being a solid backup, traded (if he is still playing at a high level), lost to Seattle in the expansion draft or a buyout candidate.

3 years would have been ideal, but that 4th year was insurance for Sorokin not panning out.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
Unless he vastly exceeds expectations, it seems like the definitive verdict on the Varlamov move will likely be inextricably tied to Sorokin's decision and then Sorokin's play once he does come over, if he does come Stateside.

Reactions: Quicklime

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't feel mental illness is the reason Lou let Lehner go. I think him and Korn feel they got a more proven veteran who has played more than half seasons.
They could be wrong. If they are it still doesn't mean Robin will take off in Chicago. Nor would repeat his performance with the Islanders. Most likely Robin isn't as good as last year and Varlomov is better than he was with the AVS.

Reactions: CupHolders

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
3 years would have been ideal, but that 4th year was insurance for Sorokin not panning out.

I think it's more like this:
1) Varlamov works with Korn 'n co. and is brought back on track as a top goaltender
2) Varlamov starts, Sorokin backs up
3) Varlamov and Sorokin split duties
4) Sorokin starts, Varlamov is the back-up

Last edited:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I think it's more like this:
1) Varlamov works with Korn 'n co. and is brought back on track as a top goaltender
2) Varlamov starts, Sorokin backs up
3) Varlamov and Sorokin split duties
4) Sorokin starts, Varlamov is the back-up
5 mil for a back up goalie is....yeesh. And we don't even know what kinda contract Sorokin (if he ever comes over) will want

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
5 mil for a back up goalie is....yeesh. And we don't even know what kinda contract Sorokin (if he ever comes over) will want

Yes, but in this scenario, it'd be in solely the final year of his contract and while passing along the duties as the No. 1 to a kid he helped ease in.

In addition, the Isles will still only be paying ELC money for Sorokin at that juncture.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Yes, but in this scenario, it'd be in solely the final year of his contract and while passing along the duties as the No. 1 to a kid he helped ease in.

In addition, the Isles will still only be paying ELC money for Sorokin at that juncture.

Isn't his ELC going to be shorter than the average one due to Sorokin's age? Isn't it only going to be a year (maybe 2)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad