Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I can't tell what this post is trying to say but if it's being literal I feel bad for anyone that thinks that way.

Not only is it fundamentally wrong/contradictory but also more pessimistic than should be possible. Even for an Oilers fan.

How does one say a strong regular season and playoff appearance was a fluke but in the same breath claim it could never happen again.

Taylor Hall took a much worse team in the devils to the playoffs last year. I see no reason why the Oilers with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge can't manage the same feat at least one more time during thier time here.

Again. People are ignoring that the team has had massive injury problems to thier top 4 defenders this year. A healthy blue this year and we would easily be in the playoffs.
The team this year is heavily downgraded from the one that made the playoffs. There hasn’t been a single roster improvement since then. Roughly 60% of this year’s team is dead weight.

The team is essentially healthy now and they still suck. Meanwhile we are behind the Coyotes who have had numerous injury issues. Stop blaming injuries. The team is garbage this year and probably will be next year too without some serious overhaul.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I can't tell what this post is trying to say but if it's being literal I feel bad for anyone that thinks that way.

Not only is it fundamentally wrong/contradictory but also more pessimistic than should be possible. Even for an Oilers fan.

How does one say a strong regular season and playoff appearance was a fluke but in the same breath claim it could never happen again.

Taylor Hall took a much worse team in the devils to the playoffs last year. I see no reason why the Oilers with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge can't manage the same feat at least one more time during thier time here.

Again. People are ignoring that the team has had massive injury problems to thier top 4 defenders this year. A healthy blue this year and we would easily be in the playoffs.

If Nuge has decided to show up in the playoffs we probably would have made at minimum conference finals. Guy is severely overrated

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I know this isn't likely to happen but I will dare to dream.

A fully healthy group of:

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell XXX

With a massive group of very capable 6,7, and 8th level defenders on the team, in the ahl, or the minors even.

That defense is good. Not great but certainly good. Better than average in this league for sure.

People forget that Talbot. Yes even Talbot, can look like a Vezna winning goalie behind that defense.

Please don't respond with Talbot carried the team. The evidence strongly suggests that Talbot behind sub par defense is a train wreck. Which is true for many goalies.

Talbots extremely limited success has come behind a completely healthy Oilers blueline or a solid Rangers blueline. Imo he has never carried a team like some goalies have to on a regular basis.

Well if they can get some health for next year, that's basically what they have.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Russell-Bear/Jones/Bouchard
Benning/Manning

Ideally though, you trade Manning and Benning for picks, and keep Gravel as the #7 on the cheap, freeing up 2mil for elsewhere on the roster.

space321

May 11, 2011
I see your point in your mocking reply lol

But McDavid and Draisaitl did manage to take this team to the playoffs ;).. something the other core didn't

I thought trading Hall for Larsson was the reason this team made the playoffs, that's why I said keep Larsson.

Also McDavid and Draisaitl have now missed the playoffs two years in a row (let's face it they're not making it this year). I won't even count their first year together because when we missed in 2015-2016 I think that was Hall's fault. But nowadays all they do is pad their own stats. McDavid is 2nd in league scoring and Draisaitl top 10, but what good have they done for the team?

I still think they should trade these two bum losers before their cancerous leadership affects the rest of our excellent character locker room.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The way things are going I could see Sekera asking for more time in Bakersfield even if he feels good....Condors are rolling right now, Woodcroft probably uses the threat of being recalled if you play bad....lol

Reactions: Yeah15

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The way things are going I could see Sekera asking for more time in Bakersfield even if he feels good....Condors are rolling right now, Woodcroft probably uses the threat of being recalled if you play bad....lol
I know what you mean. Who’d want to fly on a chartered plane first class with top notch hotel rooms instead of rolling along the highway on the awesome team bus.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He’s got 52 points in 55 games and is, at worst, a pretty solid 2nd line center on any team in the league. Nobody calls him a world beater so, no, he is not over-rated and is more than a complimentary player.

Yes, his point production is decent, but I still haven’t seen him drive his own line. When he’s the second best player on his line, he’s effective. When he’s expected to elevate others, not so much.

Reactions: harpoon

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Yes, his point production is decent, but I still haven’t seen him drive his own line. When he’s the second best player on his line, he’s effective. When he’s expected to elevate others, not so much.
Well, since you’ve conceded that his point production has been decent this year, and aside from a short time playing wing with McDavid, we know he has almost never been the second best player on his line. That would seem to indicate he’s been driving things pretty well this year. In the last couple years, I would be agreeing with you. This year I think his offensive game has rebounded significantly.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
The team this year is heavily downgraded from the one that made the playoffs. There hasn’t been a single roster improvement since then. Roughly 60% of this year’s team is dead weight.
Ding ding f***ing ding.

When you keep trading a dollar for 70 cents, don't stop and wonder why you have a f***ing pocket full of useless change.

Reactions: McBeastMode

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If Nuge has decided to show up in the playoffs we probably would have made at minimum conference finals. Guy is severely overrated

Im sorry but some of the best players in the league had awefule 1st and 2nd playoff experiences.

You need to be in playoffs to learn what playoffs are.

ScorScorScor
SeasonAgeGPGAPTS+/-
2001-0223213361
2002-03244000-3
2003-0425120661
2005-062750330
2006-07281888162
2007-08292210132313
Career157427111334
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This player is considered one of the best 2way players of all time. He didn't get playoffs for the first few times he was in them

Just for reference Here's RNH's first time in playoffs

ScorScorScor
SeasonAgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-
2016-1723EDMNHL13044-3
Career1 yrNHL13044-3
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
Im sorry but some of the best players in the league had awefule 1st and 2nd playoff experiences.

You need to be in playoffs to learn what playoffs are.

ScorScorScor
SeasonAgeGPGAPTS+/-
2001-0223213361
2002-03244000-3
2003-0425120661
2005-062750330
2006-07281888162
2007-08292210132313
Career157427111334
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This player is considered one of the best 2way players of all time. He didn't get playoffs for the first few times he was in them

Just for reference Here's RNH's first time in playoffs

ScorScorScor
SeasonAgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-
2016-1723EDMNHL13044-3
Career1 yrNHL13044-3
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't know what the guy you're quoting thinks, but for the record I completely agree with you. I have nothing against RNH as a player, and I see him as a positive contributor to this team and I hope he can stay at least till his contract ends.

What really gets me is the clear double standard on this board regarding RNH vs his teammates. In your playoff example I compare him with Eberle, who was basically ostracized for his terrible playoffs. Yes Eberle was 3 years older, but that doesn't mean he can't have a bad playoff series and still contribute positively to this team through the rest of his contract. I think the guy you posted is Datsyuk(?) and that's proof that a playoff preforming reputation isn't just a one year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Eberle has a better performance in the playoffs this year with NYI.

The next comparison I'll make is RNH vs Draisaitl. One gets completely torn apart for every single mistake and the other gets a free pass (mostly) for similar lazy games. I've seen RNH be lazy with my own two eyes, as recently as the two or three games right after the bye week. There might be a few voices on here pointing that out, but the overwhelming narrative is that RNH is a 200ft complete player who gives 100% every game, when in reality he has brain lapses just like Draisaitl. Drai makes 8.5m compared to RNH's 6m but lets not forget when those contracts were signed.

It's like RNH is immune to criticism on here. Let's not forget that everything applicable to Hall era Oilers also applies to RNH. He might look like a quiet dude or whatever but I doubt he's spending his evenings chilling in front of a fireplace drinking tea and reading a book lol. Even if he's somehow the perfect guy off the ice, doesn't party, etc. His on ice play still left a lot to be desired from a 1st overall pick in those years.

Reactions: harpoon

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know what the guy you're quoting thinks, but for the record I completely agree with you. I have nothing against RNH as a player, and I see him as a positive contributor to this team and I hope he can stay at least till his contract ends.

What really gets me is the clear double standard on this board regarding RNH vs his teammates. In your playoff example I compare him with Eberle, who was basically ostracized for his terrible playoffs. Yes Eberle was 3 years older, but that doesn't mean he can't have a bad playoff series and still contribute positively to this team through the rest of his contract. I think the guy you posted is Datsyuk(?) and that's proof that a playoff preforming reputation isn't just a one year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Eberle has a better performance in the playoffs this year with NYI.

The next comparison I'll make is RNH vs Draisaitl. One gets completely torn apart for every single mistake and the other gets a free pass (mostly) for similar lazy games. I've seen RNH be lazy with my own two eyes, as recently as the two or three games right after the bye week. There might be a few voices on here pointing that out, but the overwhelming narrative is that RNH is a 200ft complete player who gives 100% every game, when in reality he has brain lapses just like Draisaitl. Drai makes 8.5m compared to RNH's 6m but lets not forget when those contracts were signed.

It's like RNH is immune to criticism on here. Let's not forget that everything applicable to Hall era Oilers also applies to RNH. He might look like a quiet dude or whatever but I doubt he's spending his evenings chilling in front of a fireplace drinking tea and reading a book lol. Even if he's somehow the perfect guy off the ice, doesn't party, etc. His on ice play still left a lot to be desired from a 1st overall pick in those years.

Oh It's the same story for Ebs with regards to Playoffs,

RNH im guessing wasn't feeling great after the bye week.

oiler-dude

Agreed.

The core of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, etc. were losers. It was a rotten core. I remember during the lockout season, while they all put up nice individual numbers in the AHL, the Condors were literally a bubble playoff team (I don't even think they were a playoff team). AND THIS WAS THE AHL. Those guys couldn't win jack ****.

I mean, if you're going to make claims like this about what you remember, maybe even a bit of research would be in order.

The 2012-2013 Oklahoma City Barons finished 40-25-11 and made it to Game 7 of the conference finals against the eventual Calder Cup champ Griffins. On Jan. 5 (around the time the lockout ended, and the 3 would have left) they were 18-12-4.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My lord people. I thought I'd check out this thread to see how Sekera's weekend went and there is maybe four posts on the matter. The rest of it is debating the Hall/Larsson trade, the 16/17 season (whether it was luck, goalie or defense), RNH's skill level, the failures of the previous core, etc. Basically it's a catch all of arguments of the past.

Let's hear more about actual topic at hand.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Andrej Sekera played 20 and 21 minutes in back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday for Bakersfield. He moved much better than he did coming off his ACL injury last year. He isn’t wearing a knee brace and he told me that makes a huge difference. He has more range of motion and can skate much better. There was some rust in his game like handling the puck, which is understandable considering he’s only played 38 games since May of 2017. It was a solid weekend in the AHL for him.

Monday Musings: Chiasson, Development, Sekera and More

I'd be curious how he felt on Sunday or even today. Big test playing back to back games after such a long lay off

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Andrej Sekera played 20 and 21 minutes in back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday for Bakersfield. He moved much better than he did coming off his ACL injury last year. He isn’t wearing a knee brace and he told me that makes a huge difference. He has more range of motion and can skate much better. There was some rust in his game like handling the puck, which is understandable considering he’s only played 38 games since May of 2017. It was a solid weekend in the AHL for him.

Monday Musings: Chiasson, Development, Sekera and More

I'd be curious how he felt on Sunday or even today. Big test playing back to back games after such a long lay off

I know a lot of people are writing him off based on how bad he looked last season.
His skating looks much better this time around...I think he has some game left.

Reactions: McDNicks17

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My lord people. I thought I'd check out this thread to see how Sekera's weekend went and there is maybe four posts on the matter. The rest of it is debating the Hall/Larsson trade, the 16/17 season (whether it was luck, goalie or defense), RNH's skill level, the failures of the previous core, etc. Basically it's a catch all of arguments of the past.

Let's hear more about actual topic at hand.

So it’s pretty much like every other thread around here.:D

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I know a lot of people are writing him off based on how bad he looked last season.
His skating looks much better this time around...I think he has some game left.

Skating with no knee brace makes a huge difference. I hope he has been able to recover a majority of his first 3 steps. Will be interesting to see what happens once his conditioning stint is completed. Oilers will need to trade someone fast or send 2 bodies down. Maybe that’s why Petrovic hasnt been playing as they don’t want to risk any injury to him and he’s going to be moving out shortly.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Skating with no knee brace makes a huge difference. I hope he has been able to recover a majority of his first 3 steps. Will be interesting to see what happens once his conditioning stint is completed. Oilers will need to trade someone fast or send 2 bodies down. Maybe that’s why Petrovic hasnt been playing as they don’t want to risk any injury to him and he’s going to be moving out shortly.

Interesting trade deadline this year. We know for sure there will be more than a few players leaving via trade or sent to the minors.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad