Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I didn't see this anywhere and I don't have an official link, but it looks like the come back is on.

I wonder what the plan is to actually make the cap work.

Edit: I got a Score App update that it's happening or has happened.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Good. Wonder if he'll be able to come back after 2 years of injuries. Not sure how the cap situation will work aswell..

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Good. Wonder if he'll be able to come back after 2 years of injuries. Not sure how the cap situation will work aswell..
I doubt it, but I'll drink to hope! :cheers:
We sure could use a decent Sekera, even if it's for next season.

Cap should not be a problem. If I have learned anything from these last months it is that cap considerations are not really an issue right now.
:popcorn:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Seems like they used aLTI conditioning stint instead of a regular conditioning stint.
13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player who is on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50 may, with his consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception (but in no event during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL Games), be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan (the "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan") for a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games, solely for the purpose of determining whether the Player is fit to play. If the Club determines that it needs more time to assess the Player's fitness to play, the Club may file a written request with the Commissioner's Office, with a copy to the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, to extend the Loan for an additional two (2) games. The Commissioner, upon good cause, may approve the one-time extension. The Commissioner's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. A Player on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan will continue to be listed on Injured Reserve and will not count against the Club's 23-man roster limit. The Club's Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception will continue until the Conditioning Loan ends, and his Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses will continue to count against the Club's Upper Limit and the Players' Share during such time. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is placed on a Bona Fide Long- Term Injury/Illness Conditioning Loan. If he has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers or otherwise to Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take other disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate. A Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Conditioning Loan may be extended on one occasion. This procedure can only be used once during each period of time that the Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception.

So they didn’t have to activate him yet. But if he’s healthy enough to prove he can lay down there we will need to activate him very soon in which case the team will need to be putting a couple guys on waivers or making some trades.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Seems like they used aLTI conditioning stint instead of a regular conditioning stint.

So they didn’t have to activate him yet. But if he’s healthy enough to prove he can lay down there we will need to activate him very soon in which case the team will need to be putting a couple guys on waivers or making some trades.
They likely have something else in the works to clear up cap space. Talbot traded maybe hopefully spooner, manning

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
49A49245-5DDE-4469-A74A-1DFDDCA30879.gif

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Fingers crossed he can get going down there. Getting back Klefa and Sekera, at even like 75% of what he used to be, would be huge for this team

Reactions: LaGu

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm probably in the minority here but we may as well just shut him down until next season. Have him skate and participate in practices. I'd rather have a 100% healthy Sekera come next October. This season is a write off anyways. Opening night I expect:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-acquisition
Sekera-Bouchard/Jones/Persson

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm probably in the minority here but we may as well just shut him down until next season. Have him skate and participate in practices. I'd rather have a 100% healthy Sekera come next October. This season is a write off anyways. Opening night I expect:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-acquisition

Now that he’s been sent on an LTIR conditioning stint after 3 games or 6 days and he - not the club - feels he is NHL ready we cannot shut him down. He’s passed the baseline tests so that ship has sailed. He can stay 2 more games on approval from Bettman alone. After that he’s on our NHL roster.

We need to clear about 1.5m off the cap before Sunday basically.

So goodbye 1 of Petrovic or Talbot. I don’t think Benning or Manning are movable. Both will be pressboxed as our 7/8 pairing once Sekera and Klefbom are back. Sekera will take the bottom with one of Gravel Benning or Manning.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think this is a virtual guarantee of activity at the trade deadline.
Trade deadline may not be overly enjoyable from an Oilers fan perspective but it should be very interesting.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I didn’t think the oilers had the cap space to activate him.

They do with a couple of transactions, but it's going to be interesting how they do it.

The simplest way would be to send Malone and Gravel down, but if they don't want to risk losing Gravel, they'll have to do something funky like playing a defenseman at forward.

I think they'd only have to run with 12F/7D for a couple of games after Sekera is back in the lineup to gain enough wiggle room to bring another forward back up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On another note...I am really pulling for Sekera to at least be at 80% of the Sekera from 2 years ago.

He was the FA acquisition I wanted back in 2015...he was a such a solid and well rounded dman for the team until his first major injury.
I really like this player and I hope he isnt done.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
On another note...I am really pulling for Sekera to at least be at 80% of the Sekera from 2 years ago.

He was the FA acquisition I wanted back in 2015...he was a such a solid and well rounded dman for the team until his first major injury.
I really like this player and I hope he isnt done.

Hell even 60% Reggie would be the Oilers' second best D until Kelf is back given the way Larsson has been playing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hell even 60% Reggie would be the Oilers' second best D until Kelf is back given the way Larsson has been playing.

I hear you. With Klefbom out all of the dmen have been struggling. Just goes to show how valuable he really is.
My thinking is that if reggie can get close to 80% then adding him and Klefbom is a major deal for thsi team.
Its like a whole new defence...2 players added that can actually move the puck and defend

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-acquisition

Why?... Imagine if he gets back to full form. We'd have a top 4 that's an actual top 4 and Russell will be on the bottom pair with Gravel.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Sekera
Gravel Russell

Looks good no?

Reactions: Crude

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-acquisition
He was bad when he was inserted back into the lineup last year, this is probably the most reasonable course of action

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad