Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m worried it’s a permanent thing which is a death knell for defencemen in particular. (Ray Whitney after his ankle surgery was never the same, lost his first 3 steps). His game yesterday sounds positive though so that is very encouraging!

I think the only thing thats going to determine if Sekera will recover is time.

Based on what I saw last night I am more encouraged than discouraged.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Different players take it differently. Whitney was kind of an offensive guy that used his skating to produce his offense. Sekera had always been about positioning and error free hockey, which you can still do when your skating starts to go

I respectfully disagree. A D-man simply cannot lose the first 3 steps. That’s the key to creating speed before pivoting and skating backwards at speed. Otherwise it’s turnstile heaven.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I respectfully disagree. A D-man simply cannot lose the first 3 steps. That’s the key to creating speed before pivoting and skating backwards at speed. Otherwise it’s turnstile heaven.
A lot of d slow down with age. D that have always relied on their skating fall off a cliff faster. The smart, methodical d don't get effected by it as much.

Not saying it won't effect him but it'll hurt him far less than it would hurt a guy like Nurse. If Nurse ever has a major leg injury like that, his career is probably done

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A lot of d slow down with age. D that have always relied on their skating fall off a cliff faster. The smart, methodical d don't get effected by it as much.

Not saying it won't effect him but it'll hurt him far less than it would hurt a guy like Nurse. If Nurse ever has a major leg injury like that, his career is probably done
Problem with your theory is we've seen what he looks like without his skating. We have proof he can't play in this league when that happens.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Problem with your theory is we've seen what he looks like without his skating. We have proof he can't play in this league when that happens.
We had proof what happens when he is wearing a brace that makes it so he can barely bend his leg, if his leg was like that without the brace he would retire.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not based on last year.

He was arguably the worst player in the NHL last year without his skating.

Seriously, do people just not remember how bad he was?
Isn't the essence of people who are posting positively about a potential return that he won't have so much trouble with skating as last year? I thought that was the premise of most "hopeful" posts in this thread. It's a big if of course, but if he can skate then he can probably be a real good addition to the team.

I doubt anyone thinks he's a saviour coming in, but he's a $5.5M D, our most expensive D by a bit, sitting in LTIR. I for one what him playing.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
the point is, that with all three of them healthy plus Russell and Nurse it allowed the Oilers to have 3 solid if not spectacular defensive pairings, as opposed to 1 and then 2 pairings of trash without them.

That was the key. The D wasn't high end but in 16/17 they had 3 pairs that you could reasonably trust to not **** up too badly. Lose Klefbom and Sekera though and you lose that, which is why these past couple seasons have been a **** show in comparison.
Yes, and the key is stating it as a collective. Not that Klef, or Larsson, or Sekera alone were big reasons the Oilers got as far as they were but just that they were each doing a share. Those are entirely different statements. The Larsson and Klef fans particularly have a tendency to state it as if those players alone are bending results. Its even stated regarding Sekera which is laughable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You also just described Darnell Nurse, by the way.

Darnell Nurse is near ppg over the past 2months. He's rounding the corner into a D that will be 50 or more pt range and he's still developing, still getting better.

Darnell moves the puck out of zone as well as a star forward. He supports offense, jumps into the play, anticipates, passes well.

Maybe pay attention to what Darnell already is, the best D that has been playing on this club this season and last, and get back to me.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I think he looked pretty good last night. I like the fact that he was roaming down low in the o-zone right off the bat. It's really hard to tell based off of one game and ahl competition (even spooner looked good in spurts) but I am reservedly encouraged.

Reactions: KYams17

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

In that context I agree. Bottom line it sounds positive so far!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Darnell Nurse is near ppg over the past 2months. He's rounding the corner into a D that will be 50 or more pt range and he's still developing, still getting better.

Darnell moves the puck out of zone as well as a star forward. He supports offense, jumps into the play, anticipates, passes well.

Maybe pay attention to what Darnell already is, the best D that has been playing on this club this season and last, and get back to me.
If he anticipates plays along the boards a bit better (especially on the PP) so he can hold the zone more I’ll be completely on the nurse bandwagon.

Reactions: KYams17

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just to add with how Talbot supporters argue he only sucks because the d in front of him is so bad. So with that logic shouldnt Talbot have to share the success of his Vezina caliber play in 16-17 with the Sekera and the other dman who made it possible?

Again, its different to state, that collectively, a D corps allows a team to win than it is to say Sekera, or Klef, or Larsson were individually "big reasons the Oilers got where they did" which is stated often here, as if suggesting that these are star players that move results. Individually they don't. The closest we have to a D that is starting to influence results is Nurse and hard not to notice being that he's been our 4th best player this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If he anticipates plays along the boards a bit better (especially on the PP) so he can hold the zone more I’ll be completely on the nurse bandwagon.

Well, compared to Klefbom he's god on the blueline, just saying. Darnell isn't the guy letting the puck come out by inches, misplaying it, fumbling it, or shooting half his shots into a block. But even with what you mention I see vast improvement and its easy to see that Nurse prowess has resulted in our PP being the best its been since 16-17. I even expected and said PP would improve when Klefbom went down.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Again, its different to state, that collectively, a D corps allows a team to win than it is to say Sekera, or Klef, or Larsson were individually "big reasons the Oilers got where they did" which is stated often here, as if suggesting that these are star players that move results. Individually they don't. The closest we have to a D that is starting to influence results is Nurse and hard not to notice being that he's been our 4th best player this season.
To me it is more like that with a forward core that has McDavid, Drai, and RNH all you need is a passable D that isnt a handicap. With Klef and Sekera at 100% our D is passable and that's what 2016-17 was like. Still not great but it won't be the reason we lose. So yes talking of them individually is a bit wrong but we need a top 4 that has them in it and not Jones or Gravel or players like that. Ideally not Russell tbh

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To me it is more like that with a forward core that has McDavid, Drai, and RNH all you need is a passable D that isnt a handicap. With Klef and Sekera at 100% our D is passable and that's what 2016-17 was like. Still not great but it won't be the reason we lose. So yes talking of them individually is a bit wrong but we need a top 4 that has them in it and not Jones or Gravel or players like that. Ideally not Russell tbh

Pretty much exactly.

I get feathers rustled, myself, because this org traded Hall for one of those "passable D that isn't a handicap" for people to state as they often do that Larsson was a big reason we got where we did is misleading. He didn't change much by himself. He contributed. Same thing with Sekera, Klefbom.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pretty much exactly.

I get feathers rustled, myself, because this org traded Hall for one of those "passable D that isn't a handicap" for people to state as they often do that Larsson was a big reason we got where we did is misleading. He didn't change much by himself. He contributed. Same thing with Sekera, Klefbom.
But it is true imo that Larsson had a greater positive effect than Hall just because we were starved for D, and that explains 2016-17. That does not mean it was a good trade but team needs are more important than total value if we are talking about getting wins in the short term

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But it is true imo that Larsson had a greater positive effect than Hall just because we were starved for D, and that explains 2016-17. That does not mean it was a good trade but team needs are more important than total value if we are talking about getting wins in the short term

This is outside of the realm of the thread but its always shortsighted, and misguided to sacrifice longterm results for a short term gain. Hall, the player, and the contract were one of the best values in the game. PPG player longterm for 6M

The reality is we could be in cup contention with a platoon of McDrai, Nuge, and Hall in the stable, and maybe Eberle too. As you say with Sekera, Russell, Nurse, Klef we just needed one more D to work into the top 4 rotation.

Look how easily a D like Muzzin was acquired. Not much pain in that deal.

The trouble is its buyers remorse to get locked into one deal, one purchase, and not consider others. That happened with Chia in regards to Larsson and the rest is history.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Epic battle tonight for the Condors against those who chop wood and carry water. The Eakins Warriors aka San Diego Gulls.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, compared to Klefbom he's god on the blueline, just saying. Darnell isn't the guy letting the puck come out by inches, misplaying it, fumbling it, or shooting half his shots into a block. But even with what you mention I see vast improvement and its easy to see that Nurse prowess has resulted in our PP being the best its been since 16-17. I even expected and said PP would improve when Klefbom went down.
What? Nurse has been having a good offensive run but he gets absolutely dominated possession wise and defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad