Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Jimmi McJenkins, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

This is pure fantasy.

We had all those players and we're worse.

Larsson obviously had a much bigger impact than Hall ever did to the TEAM.

Of course Hall is the better player by a bit but wingers just don't impact the game like a top 3 RD can and DID for the Oilers.

So weird how many just want to pretend the 2015/2016 where all those players sucked together & the 2016/2017 where Hall sucked and Larsson was beast just never happened.

Look at Calgary. Last year they sucked with Hamilton. Made a sideways move at best with Carolina, picked up a new coach and now are tops of the West. No significant injuries.

We lost 3 of our top 4 defenders from the 2016/2017 season and people want to pretend the that isn't a massive factor in the Oilers current situation.

TB12 and Summary like this.
  2. syz

syz [1, 5, 6, 14]

I pay attention to him getting his ass handed to him and having to pull the puck out of his own net any time he has to play top pairing competition.

He's a 2nd pair defenseman on a contending team, just like the other 3.

TB12 likes this.
  3. LaGu

LaGu Registered User

Pictures or it didn't happen!

4. The Nuge

The Nuge Top 9 Forward Count - 5/9

Absolutely. He can’t carry a pairing, but people forget just how good he looked with Sekera 2 years ago. We were basically running 2 2nd pairings with Sekera - Benning, and Nurse - Russell in 16/17

How did his skating look?

5. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

We didn't have McD for much of that season and he was not yet at prime when we did have him. What you are missing is ALL of McDrai, Hall, Nuge have gotten better since as happens when you play around greatness. We never got to see that continuing.

Nor did "all those players suck together" Drai and Hall lit it up the first 55games and looked solid. We had two really good lines with that configuration.

Strange that you bring up Calgary. That's the closest example of a club not selling the farm to get a capable D. If Calgary had traded Monahan, to get a capable D, that's in effect what we did..

Instead Calgary improves their club every year, stocks more talent, and add Tkachuk and Lindholm to the stable of producers they already had.

space321 and Skar like this.
  6. Shathar

Shathar Registered User

I think he looked ok relative to the competition. I didn't see him in a situation where he really had to cut hard or drag race anyone. A lot of that is due to his intelligence and positioning. What I noticed and really liked about his game last night is there seemed to be no timidness. That's pretty cool considering how long he was out.

guymez and The Nuge like this.
  7. DaGap

DaGap Registered User

So weird how we didnt have our starting roster until mar 3 that year......

Tremor likes this.
  8. ToeMcDrag83

ToeMcDrag83 5-14-6-1

Engineer
    I really hope he can rebound health wise for next season. I think some forget how huge he was for us in 16-17.
    Klefbom was getting **** on last year when playing injured, but now it's painfully obvious how important he is to the team. Sekera may not step in and have a real impact this year, but I'd love him on the 3rd pairing next year with one of the kids (Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Persson).

9. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

Huh?

Calgary traded the best player for a better all around team... How does that fit your naritive?

Also Hall and Draisaitl failed down the stretch that year and Hall was bad in NJ that first year as well.

I know hockey is a what have you done for me lately but really, pretending the team would be a contender with Hall in and Larsson out is rather ridiculous. I know it's a popular fantasy but I don't see how anyone could pretend the Oilers would go from suck to contender just because of Taylor Hall.

Could you imagine how much worse this team would be no Larsson this year and Hall as injured as he has been this year.

Adding Hall and subtracting Larsson THIS YEAR would equal about 9 more goals for aND at least 20 against.

At least we got one playoff appearance and a good run with Larsson. The same can't be said with Hall.

And Hall was absolutely my favorite player during his time here. But the team, with the defense the way things most likely would be like, would have no chance of doing better than how the team has actually done in the last 3 years.

Summary likes this.
  10. Ctrain2k

Ctrain2k Registered User

How’s he playing tonight?

11. Consultant

Consultant Registered User

The stat line looks nice. 6-0 win, plus 3.

CycloneSweep likes this.
  12. Del Preston

Del Preston Registered User

Sekera might want to stay down in Bakersfield.

Burnoutboi, Summary and CycloneSweep like this.
  13. Bliss

Bliss Tier 2 Fan

Agreed.

The core of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, etc. were losers. It was a rotten core. I remember during the lockout season, while they all put up nice individual numbers in the AHL, the Condors were literally a bubble playoff team (I don't even think they were a playoff team). AND THIS WAS THE AHL. Those guys couldn't win jack ****.

Summary, McNuge and Aerchon like this.
  14. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

It was actually 7-1 but Sekera was a +3.

Hard to judge his overall game. He is rarely out of position though and his skating looks quite smooth IMO.
    I am surprised that his timing is as good as it is.

The feed really isnt all that great. Same camera angle throughout the game and sometimes the player numbers are hard to see. It is what it is....better than nothing.

Aerchon and CycloneSweep like this.
  15. Bliss

Bliss Tier 2 Fan

5c5e555448e34.image.jpg
    P.S. this needs to be the new Oilers primary jersey by next year

Mcnotloilersfan and Crude like this.
  16. oobga

oobga Tier 2 Fan

Suck it Eakins! :)

17. McCupofOil

McCupofOil Still Evaluating

Hmm, I find the feed to be quite clear and have no problem picking out the players. The camera angle is a little weird though, being from high up and not ice level.

Anyway, you pretty much touched on it with Sekera. Nothing spectacular but he looks not too far off from typical Sekera, smooth skating, relatively mistake free and gets the puck moving in the right direction. If he keeps this up, I suspect it won't be too long until he's called up to the Oilers perhaps after next weekend's games.

18. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

We are seeing the same thing with Sekera. Looking forward to seeing him back with the Oilers.

As for my comment about the feed.
    Once on camera they are easy enough to see.
    The issue really is the unchanging camera angle. You dont know who has the puck until the announcer calls the players name or the player turns his back to the camera. Otherwise its hard to determine who has the puck.
    That's really what I meant about the players numbers.

19. McCupofOil

McCupofOil Still Evaluating

I see what you mean but I also think that's partly to you know not being familiar with the players yet.
    It took me a while as well but once I got used to the skating style of each player, I sort of figured out for myself who had the puck. The announcer also does a good job of spelling it out for us, can you imagine if Quinn was calling AHL games with that camera angle? Oof

guymez likes this.
  20. space321

space321 Registered User

Agreed.

This core of McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH are losers. It's a rotten core. I remember last season when they all put up nice individual numbers and we still missed the playoffs. This team can't win jack ****.

Trade McDavid.
    Trade Draisaitl.
    Trade RNH. Especially RNH, he's been a part of two loser rotten groups!

Oh might as well throw Klefbom in there too, rotten loser!

We should keep Adam 'THE EAGLE' Larsson though, he's a top pairing Dman and his offense is just about to break out I can feel it! Next year he's gonna get 15g 40a and take us to the Cup!

harpoon likes this.
  21. Senor Catface

Senor Catface Registered User

I find in the AHL there's more "unique" skating styles...That's one way I sometimes spot players.

22. Bliss

Bliss Tier 2 Fan

I see your point in your mocking reply lol

But McDavid and Draisaitl did manage to take this team to the playoffs ;).. something the other core didn't

Aerchon likes this.
  23. GreatKeith

GreatKeith Only In Last Every Regular Season

Accountant
    They fluked hard that year. So I guess there’s that. They won’t be seeing the playoffs again in their Oiler careers.

space321 likes this.
  24. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

I can't tell what this post is trying to say but if it's being literal I feel bad for anyone that thinks that way.

Not only is it fundamentally wrong/contradictory but also more pessimistic than should be possible. Even for an Oilers fan.

How does one say a strong regular season and playoff appearance was a fluke but in the same breath claim it could never happen again.

Taylor Hall took a much worse team in the devils to the playoffs last year. I see no reason why the Oilers with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge can't manage the same feat at least one more time during thier time here.

Again. People are ignoring that the team has had massive injury problems to thier top 4 defenders this year. A healthy blue this year and we would easily be in the playoffs.

Summary and Davo Ikinzom like this.
  25. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

I know this isn't likely to happen but I will dare to dream.

A fully healthy group of:

Nurse Larsson
    Klefbom Sekera
    Russell XXX

With a massive group of very capable 6,7, and 8th level defenders on the team, in the ahl, or the minors even.

That defense is good. Not great but certainly good. Better than average in this league for sure.

People forget that Talbot. Yes even Talbot, can look like a Vezna winning goalie behind that defense.

Please don't respond with Talbot carried the team. The evidence strongly suggests that Talbot behind sub par defense is a train wreck. Which is true for many goalies.

Talbots extremely limited success has come behind a completely healthy Oilers blueline or a solid Rangers blueline. Imo he has never carried a team like some goalies have to on a regular basis.

Summary likes this.