Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is outside of the realm of the thread but its always shortsighted, and misguided to sacrifice longterm results for a short term gain. Hall, the player, and the contract were one of the best values in the game. PPG player longterm for 6M

The reality is we could be in cup contention with a platoon of McDrai, Nuge, and Hall in the stable, and maybe Eberle too. As you say with Sekera, Russell, Nurse, Klef we just needed one more D to work into the top 4 rotation.

Look how easily a D like Muzzin was acquired. Not much pain in that deal.

The trouble is its buyers remorse to get locked into one deal, one purchase, and not consider others. That happened with Chia in regards to Larsson and the rest is history.

This is pure fantasy.

We had all those players and we're worse.

Larsson obviously had a much bigger impact than Hall ever did to the TEAM.

Of course Hall is the better player by a bit but wingers just don't impact the game like a top 3 RD can and DID for the Oilers.

So weird how many just want to pretend the 2015/2016 where all those players sucked together & the 2016/2017 where Hall sucked and Larsson was beast just never happened.

Look at Calgary. Last year they sucked with Hamilton. Made a sideways move at best with Carolina, picked up a new coach and now are tops of the West. No significant injuries.

We lost 3 of our top 4 defenders from the 2016/2017 season and people want to pretend the that isn't a massive factor in the Oilers current situation.

Reactions: TB12 and Summary

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Darnell Nurse is near ppg over the past 2months. He's rounding the corner into a D that will be 50 or more pt range and he's still developing, still getting better.

Darnell moves the puck out of zone as well as a star forward. He supports offense, jumps into the play, anticipates, passes well.

Maybe pay attention to what Darnell already is, the best D that has been playing on this club this season and last, and get back to me.

I pay attention to him getting his ass handed to him and having to pull the puck out of his own net any time he has to play top pairing competition.

He's a 2nd pair defenseman on a contending team, just like the other 3.

Reactions: TB12

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Glad you recognize it as bluster.

Matt Benning is perpetually the most underrated d-man on the team.

Absolutely. He can’t carry a pairing, but people forget just how good he looked with Sekera 2 years ago. We were basically running 2 2nd pairings with Sekera - Benning, and Nurse - Russell in 16/17

I think he looked pretty good last night. I like the fact that he was roaming down low in the o-zone right off the bat. It's really hard to tell based off of one game and ahl competition (even spooner looked good in spurts) but I am reservedly encouraged.

How did his skating look?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is pure fantasy.

Of course Hall is the better player by a bit but wingers just don't impact the game like a top 3 RD can and DID for the Oilers.

So weird how many just want to pretend the 2015/2016 where all those players sucked together & the 2016/2017 where Hall sucked and Larsson was beast just never happened.

Look at Calgary. Last year they sucked with Hamilton. Made a sideways move at best with Carolina, picked up a new coach and now are tops of the West. No significant injuries.

We lost 3 of our top 4 defenders from the 2016/2017 season and people want to pretend the that isn't a massive factor in the Oilers current situation.

We didn't have McD for much of that season and he was not yet at prime when we did have him. What you are missing is ALL of McDrai, Hall, Nuge have gotten better since as happens when you play around greatness. We never got to see that continuing.

Nor did "all those players suck together" Drai and Hall lit it up the first 55games and looked solid. We had two really good lines with that configuration.

Strange that you bring up Calgary. That's the closest example of a club not selling the farm to get a capable D. If Calgary had traded Monahan, to get a capable D, that's in effect what we did..

Instead Calgary improves their club every year, stocks more talent, and add Tkachuk and Lindholm to the stable of producers they already had.

Reactions: space321 and Skar

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Absolutely. He can’t carry a pairing, but people forget just how good he looked with Sekera 2 years ago. We were basically running 2 2nd pairings with Sekera - Benning, and Nurse - Russell in 16/17

How did his skating look?

I think he looked ok relative to the competition. I didn't see him in a situation where he really had to cut hard or drag race anyone. A lot of that is due to his intelligence and positioning. What I noticed and really liked about his game last night is there seemed to be no timidness. That's pretty cool considering how long he was out.

Reactions: guymez and The Nuge

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
This is pure fantasy.

So weird how we didnt have our starting roster until mar 3 that year......

Reactions: Tremor

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I really hope he can rebound health wise for next season. I think some forget how huge he was for us in 16-17.
Klefbom was getting **** on last year when playing injured, but now it's painfully obvious how important he is to the team. Sekera may not step in and have a real impact this year, but I'd love him on the 3rd pairing next year with one of the kids (Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Persson).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We didn't have McD for much of that season and he was not yet at prime when we did have him. What you are missing is ALL of McDrai, Hall, Nuge have gotten better since as happens when you play around greatness. We never got to see that continuing.

Nor did "all those players suck together" Drai and Hall lit it up the first 55games and looked solid. We had two really good lines with that configuration.

Strange that you bring up Calgary. That's the closest example of a club not selling the farm to get a capable D. If Calgary had traded Monahan, to get a capable D, that's in effect what we did..

Instead Calgary improves their club every year, stocks more talent, and add Tkachuk and Lindholm to the stable of producers they already had.

Huh?

Calgary traded the best player for a better all around team... How does that fit your naritive?

Also Hall and Draisaitl failed down the stretch that year and Hall was bad in NJ that first year as well.

I know hockey is a what have you done for me lately but really, pretending the team would be a contender with Hall in and Larsson out is rather ridiculous. I know it's a popular fantasy but I don't see how anyone could pretend the Oilers would go from suck to contender just because of Taylor Hall.

Could you imagine how much worse this team would be no Larsson this year and Hall as injured as he has been this year.

Adding Hall and subtracting Larsson THIS YEAR would equal about 9 more goals for aND at least 20 against.

At least we got one playoff appearance and a good run with Larsson. The same can't be said with Hall.

And Hall was absolutely my favorite player during his time here. But the team, with the defense the way things most likely would be like, would have no chance of doing better than how the team has actually done in the last 3 years.

Reactions: Summary

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This is pure fantasy.

Agreed.

The core of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, etc. were losers. It was a rotten core. I remember during the lockout season, while they all put up nice individual numbers in the AHL, the Condors were literally a bubble playoff team (I don't even think they were a playoff team). AND THIS WAS THE AHL. Those guys couldn't win jack shit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The stat line looks nice. 6-0 win, plus 3.

It was actually 7-1 but Sekera was a +3.

Hard to judge his overall game. He is rarely out of position though and his skating looks quite smooth IMO.
I am surprised that his timing is as good as it is.

The feed really isnt all that great. Same camera angle throughout the game and sometimes the player numbers are hard to see. It is what it is....better than nothing.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
5c5e555448e34.image.jpg

P.S. this needs to be the new Oilers primary jersey by next year

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It was actually 7-1 but Sekera was a +3.

Hard to judge his overall game. He is rarely out of position though and his skating looks quite smooth IMO.
I am surprised that his timing is as good as it is.

The feed really isnt all that great. Same camera angle throughout the game and sometimes the player numbers are hard to see. It is what it is....better than nothing.

Hmm, I find the feed to be quite clear and have no problem picking out the players. The camera angle is a little weird though, being from high up and not ice level.

Anyway, you pretty much touched on it with Sekera. Nothing spectacular but he looks not too far off from typical Sekera, smooth skating, relatively mistake free and gets the puck moving in the right direction. If he keeps this up, I suspect it won't be too long until he's called up to the Oilers perhaps after next weekend's games.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hmm, I find the feed to be quite clear and have no problem picking out the players. The camera angle is a little weird though, being from high up and not ice level.

Anyway, you pretty much touched on it with Sekera. Nothing spectacular but he looks not too far off from typical Sekera, smooth skating, relatively mistake free and gets the puck moving in the right direction. If he keeps this up, I suspect it won't be too long until he's called up to the Oilers perhaps after next weekend's games.

We are seeing the same thing with Sekera. Looking forward to seeing him back with the Oilers.

As for my comment about the feed.
Once on camera they are easy enough to see.
The issue really is the unchanging camera angle. You dont know who has the puck until the announcer calls the players name or the player turns his back to the camera. Otherwise its hard to determine who has the puck.
That's really what I meant about the players numbers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We are seeing the same thing with Sekera. Looking forward to seeing him back with the Oilers.

As for my comment about the feed.
Once on camera they are easy enough to see.
The issue really is the unchanging camera angle. You dont know who has the puck until the announcer calls the players name or the player turns his back to the camera. Otherwise its hard to determine who has the puck.
That's really what I meant about the players numbers.

I see what you mean but I also think that's partly to you know not being familiar with the players yet.
It took me a while as well but once I got used to the skating style of each player, I sort of figured out for myself who had the puck. The announcer also does a good job of spelling it out for us, can you imagine if Quinn was calling AHL games with that camera angle? Oof

Reactions: guymez

space321

May 11, 2011
Agreed.

The core of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, etc. were losers. It was a rotten core. I remember during the lockout season, while they all put up nice individual numbers in the AHL, the Condors were literally a bubble playoff team (I don't even think they were a playoff team). AND THIS WAS THE AHL. Those guys couldn't win jack ****.

Agreed.

This core of McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH are losers. It's a rotten core. I remember last season when they all put up nice individual numbers and we still missed the playoffs. This team can't win jack shit.

Trade McDavid.
Trade Draisaitl.
Trade RNH. Especially RNH, he's been a part of two loser rotten groups!

Oh might as well throw Klefbom in there too, rotten loser!

We should keep Adam 'THE EAGLE' Larsson though, he's a top pairing Dman and his offense is just about to break out I can feel it! Next year he's gonna get 15g 40a and take us to the Cup!

Reactions: harpoon

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I see what you mean but I also think that's partly to you know not being familiar with the players yet.
It took me a while as well but once I got used to the skating style of each player, I sort of figured out for myself who had the puck. The announcer also does a good job of spelling it out for us, can you imagine if Quinn was calling AHL games with that camera angle? Oof

I find in the AHL there's more "unique" skating styles...That's one way I sometimes spot players.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Agreed.

This core of McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH are losers. It's a rotten core. I remember last season when they all put up nice individual numbers and we still missed the playoffs. This team can't win jack ****.

Trade McDavid.
Trade Draisaitl.
Trade RNH. Especially RNH, he's been a part of two loser rotten groups!

Oh might as well throw Klefbom in there too, rotten loser!

We should keep Adam 'THE EAGLE' Larsson though, he's a top pairing Dman and his offense is just about to break out I can feel it! Next year he's gonna get 15g 40a and take us to the Cup!
I see your point in your mocking reply lol

But McDavid and Draisaitl did manage to take this team to the playoffs ;).. something the other core didn't

Reactions: Aerchon

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I see your point in your mocking reply lol

But McDavid and Draisaitl did manage to take this team to the playoffs ;).. something the other core didn't
They fluked hard that year. So I guess there’s that. They won’t be seeing the playoffs again in their Oiler careers.

Reactions: space321

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They fluked hard that year. So I guess there’s that. They won’t be seeing the playoffs again in their Oiler careers.

I can't tell what this post is trying to say but if it's being literal I feel bad for anyone that thinks that way.

Not only is it fundamentally wrong/contradictory but also more pessimistic than should be possible. Even for an Oilers fan.

How does one say a strong regular season and playoff appearance was a fluke but in the same breath claim it could never happen again.

Taylor Hall took a much worse team in the devils to the playoffs last year. I see no reason why the Oilers with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge can't manage the same feat at least one more time during thier time here.

Again. People are ignoring that the team has had massive injury problems to thier top 4 defenders this year. A healthy blue this year and we would easily be in the playoffs.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I pay attention to him getting his ass handed to him and having to pull the puck out of his own net any time he has to play top pairing competition.

He's a 2nd pair defenseman on a contending team, just like the other 3.

I know this isn't likely to happen but I will dare to dream.

A fully healthy group of:

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell XXX

With a massive group of very capable 6,7, and 8th level defenders on the team, in the ahl, or the minors even.

That defense is good. Not great but certainly good. Better than average in this league for sure.

People forget that Talbot. Yes even Talbot, can look like a Vezna winning goalie behind that defense.

Please don't respond with Talbot carried the team. The evidence strongly suggests that Talbot behind sub par defense is a train wreck. Which is true for many goalies.

Talbots extremely limited success has come behind a completely healthy Oilers blueline or a solid Rangers blueline. Imo he has never carried a team like some goalies have to on a regular basis.

Reactions: Summary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->