Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't see Sekera agreeing to it. The team would then have the power to let him sit in the AHL all year. Not saying they would, but I don't know that a player would take that chance.

No they don’t. They can request him to play 2 more games and Bettman must agree as well. After that he must go on the active roster. Because of his NMC it has to be the Oilers roster. Because he’s missed so much hockey the last 2 years Bettman will probably agree to it.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
do you guys know how much $$$ oilers need to move out to add sekera to the line up? 2.5 million is the number I keep seeing. So the oilers will be under the gun to move someone

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
do you guys know how much $$$ oilers need to move out to add sekera to the line up? 2.5 million is the number I keep seeing. So the oilers will be under the gun to move someone

Talbot is all but traded. I’ll go with the obvious to Philly for Elliot...as usual 1 for 1.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Looks like Talbot is the chosen one since no one wants the 7M worth of garbage Chia picked up with his last trifecta of deals.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No they don’t. They can request him to play 2 more games and Bettman must agree as well. After that he must go on the active roster. Because of his NMC it has to be the Oilers roster. Because he’s missed so much hockey the last 2 years Bettman will probably agree to it.
I was more referencing the theory of him waiving his NMC to stay longer

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Looks like Talbot is the chosen one since no one wants the 7M worth of garbage Chia picked up with his last trifecta of deals.

I dont understand why the Oiler fans are so gullible. Chiarelli purposely f***ed up the cap for this season. The whole firing him at the end of the 2nd period was an indicator the team picked up on this. The guy definitely was on trajectory to trade the 1st pick too.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I've got an idea that's so crazy it just might work...

What if they send Sekera down to make room for Sekera?

If the team thinks Reggie could use a few more games in Bako after his conditioning stint to get up to speed and he agrees, could it work? No one is going to claim him off waivers(and woohoo if someone miraculously does!).

His NMC would a be a roadblock though. I don't know enough about the CBA to know if he could just waive it for this instance and keep it or if waiving it once gets rid of it for the rest of the contract. Obviously Reggie wouldn't want to lose it just for that.

That wouldn't work anyways, once he is activated from LTIR, his Cap becomes full value putting the Oilers ~1.2M over the cap. We can only bury $1.025 in the minors per contract so even if this was possible, we'd still be about $200K over the cap and would need to demote another player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm kinda shocked the NHL wouldn't just say "oh he played 20+ minutes 3 games, why does he need more conditioning, he's already playing big minutes"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm kinda shocked the NHL wouldn't just say "oh he played 20+ minutes 3 games, why does he need more conditioning, he's already playing big minutes"
I'm pretty sure the league prefers to let teams get away with things like this. It's not like it's anything blatant.

Reactions: Canada Drai

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Who said Sekera looks slow? I'm watching the game right now and he is, by no means, slower than before. He looks the same to me

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It goes back to when he had to play with a knee brace. I doubt many people have actually watched him this year

I have watched 4 of the 5 games Sekera has played. He is skating nothing like he did last season.
He will still need to get up to NHL speed though but I have no doubt he will help this team starting in his first NHL game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->