Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Interesting trade deadline this year. We know for sure there will be more than a few players leaving via trade or sent to the minors.

Only the players other teams want and are useful will be traded. Teams don't want the other ones and wont take them. Oilers will trade them because it makes it appear as if they are 'doing something' so the STH have hope.

But they will be easy to replace, right? Just like all the other times. I'm sure that third round pick will be just peachy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know a lot of people are writing him off based on how bad he looked last season.
His skating looks much better this time around...I think he has some game left.
The biggest issue I had was he flat out said himself last year that as a vet you usually take a few games to get into it after pre-season and training camp. He then went on to say how when he came back last year everyone was in game shape and game speed and he was still so far behind.

Be interesting if he can read NHL games properly once he gets up here. Good to hear about the skating though. Wonder if he's kicking himself for not go the AHL route last year?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Only the players other teams want and are useful will be traded. Teams don't want the other ones and wont take them. Oilers will trade them because it makes it appear as if they are 'doing something' so the STH have hope.

But they will be easy to replace, right? Just like all the other times. I'm sure that third round pick will be just peachy.

The Oilers have to do more than change optics though...they have to make tangible changes to their roster.
There is no other option IMO.

Reactions: Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The biggest issue I had was he flat out said himself last year that as a vet you usually take a few games to get into it after pre-season and training camp. He then went on to say how when he came back last year everyone was in game shape and game speed and he was still so far behind.

Be interesting if he can read NHL games properly once he gets up here. Good to hear about the skating though. Wonder if he's kicking himself for not go the AHL route last year?

Lots of positive reports coming in on Sekera. Pretty much confirms what I have been seeing as well.
I think this bodes really well for whats to come with this player.

Andrej Sekera already moving better in Bakersfield than he did all of 2017-18

David Staples said:
As for Sekera, I’ll give him a thumbs up. He showed more agility and speed in the two games in the Bake than he demonstrated all of last year, 2017-18, in his return from major knee surgery. It’s still hard to know how his game will translate at the NHL level, but he’s passed his first test. He’s moving better. He was never a speed burner at the NHL level, he always got by on his smarts, and those smarts are still there. It looks like his skating is closer to 2016-17 levels than it was last year, so just maybe there’s reason to hope here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lots of positive reports coming in on Sekera. Pretty much confirms what I have been seeing as well.

The really problem for me is we didn't have that AHL test that we have now. He could very well have looked not as bad last year in the AHL as well.

I do think the AHL will be good for him though, it will allow him to catch up to game speed a lot quicker.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The really problem for me is we didn't have that AHL test that we have now. He could very well have looked not as bad last year in the AHL as well.

I do think the AHL will be good for him though, it will allow him to catch up to game speed a lot quicker.

I dont agree.
I remember watching Sekera skating last season and it was clear that his mobility was restricted.
The first time I saw him on the ice this season I noticed immediately the elevated fluidity in his skating. That was just an isolated shot of him in the D-zone. There was no comparison with other players on the ice for me.
It was all about Sekera.

No comparison between his skating this season and last season IMO. Dont much care who was on the ice with him.
I am quite confident that once he gets into game shape his skating will be a non issue.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I think the difference is that Sekera is in the AHL right now, not in the NHL. Let's see how he does in the NHL. Obviously getting this type of review is better than the alternative, but I just don't think it means much.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the difference is that Sekera is in the AHL right now, not in the NHL. Let's see how he does in the NHL. Obviously getting this type of review is better than the alternative, but I just don't think it means much.

Of course...its pretty obvious that he needs to adjust to the pace in the NHL again and we wont know what that looks like until it happens.

I am just speaking from a mobility perspective compared to last season. His skating is vastly improved.
I dont expect it to be an issue. Time will tell.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm extremely happy his rehab assignment seems to be going very well, but I would be over the moon if he could put together a game where "he looks head and shoulders" better then his competition before comes back to the Oilers.

He doesn't have to, but it would be great to see him trend in that direction

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it is great that he's coming back but it might be a couple weeks late. So maybe with the time left there is still time, but it seems like we need to start winning NOW, and he won't be back in for a little bit and then probably won't be up to full speed for a little while after that. If we are 8 points back and there are only 20 games left, that's tough, and it might be worse than that even

edit: I will remain optimistic for now though, and maybe we can get some wins together without Sekera.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
8. After tonight’s game, the Oilers might have to make a roster move. Andrej Sekera plays his third game in the AHL. He will meet and talk with Keith Gretzky and depending on how he feels the Oilers will decide if they will formerly submit an application for him to play an extra two games in the AHL. The Oilers have spoke to the league about it, but they couldn’t file the application to extend his conditioning stint from three games to five games until after Sekera had played three games. If Sekera and the Oilers feel he would benefit from a few more AHL games they will apply. But just because they apply doesn’t mean the NHL will accept it.
9. It would be odd to see the NHL take a hard stance on two extra games in the AHL, but allow teams to have players not even come to camp or be around teams and stick them on LTIR. I’m not sure the Oilers are trying to start a new trend by having veteran players play two extra AHL games. First off a player has to agree to go down on the conditioning stint. But more importantly, if a player feels they will benefit from a few more games in the AHL, why would the NHL be so against it? Again, it is two games. In this case, instead of being activated on Thursday, Sekera will be activated on Sunday. It also allows AHL fans to see an NHL veteran for a few more games. If the Oilers, or any team with a player in the situation of Sekera, applies for an extra two games, I don’t see much of an issue with it. I’ve long argued veterans coming off a lengthy stay on the LTIR, or even IR, should play a few games in the AHL to get back up to speed anyways.

GDB Game Notes: Oilers @ Penguins

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thanks Joe, I would suspect they apply for those 2 games. As for what I expect from the league? They'll turn it down after the Eastern media makes some dumb noise about it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I've got an idea that's so crazy it just might work...

What if they send Sekera down to make room for Sekera?

If the team thinks Reggie could use a few more games in Bako after his conditioning stint to get up to speed and he agrees, could it work? No one is going to claim him off waivers(and woohoo if someone miraculously does!).

His NMC would a be a roadblock though. I don't know enough about the CBA to know if he could just waive it for this instance and keep it or if waiving it once gets rid of it for the rest of the contract. Obviously Reggie wouldn't want to lose it just for that.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I've got an idea that's so crazy it just might work...

What if they send Sekera down to make room for Sekera?

If the team thinks Reggie could use a few more games in Bako after his conditioning stint to get up to speed and he agrees, could it work? No one is going to claim him off waivers(and woohoo if someone miraculously does!).

His NMC would a be a roadblock though. I don't know enough about the CBA to know if he could just waive it for this instance and keep it or if waiving it once gets rid of it for the rest of the contract. Obviously Reggie wouldn't want to lose it just for that.
They would have to activate him before sending him down. AT that point they would be over the cap. Nice outside the box thinkin though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
They would have to activate him before sending him down. AT that point they would be over the cap. Nice outside the box thinkin though.

You could easily do it with a paper transaction though. Send down say Pulju, activate and waive Sekera, call up Pulju and send down Sekera.

he also has a nmc which makes that not allowable

He brought that up. Sekera could waive to allow it if he feels it’s in his best interest. It’s not like he’s going to get claimed. As desperate as teams are for quality dmen, you don’t yet know where Sekera is going to fit on the scale from 2 years ago (#2 dman) to last year (#6 dman).

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I'm expecting an Adrian Peterson type of return for Sekera. Torn all the alphabet ligaments in his knee and came back to win MVP.

Leggooooo.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What is this about?

Oilers violating the salary cap. Doubtful they find a willing trade partner for any of Reider Talbot Manning or Petrovic now or if the 2 game extension is allowed, by Tuesday next week v Az. Probably means two of Manning Petrovic Gravel Reider sent down in order to be cap compliant.

Reactions: Aerchon

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I’m super curious as to how the idiots running the team are going to botch this fairly simple recall from conditioning assignment without getting a cap penalty.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m super curious as to how the idiots running the team are going to botch this fairly simple recall from conditioning assignment without getting a cap penalty.

It’s really impossible to botch. Worst case scenario is the 2 D we just traded Cagguila and a 3rd for are waived and sent packing. That’ll look good on Chiarelli.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see Sekera agreeing to it. The team would then have the power to let him sit in the AHL all year. Not saying they would, but I don't know that a player would take that chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad