Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sekera was a big reason that 16-17 team went as far as they did. I'm still optimistic he'll be a better option than Manning/Gravel.

Talbot was the big reason.

THAT and barely getting by a SJ Sharks club that had critical players injured. Its not even like the accomplishment that season was monumental. A blip on the radar.

Yet every convo its like; Sekera was a huge reason we did as well as we did, interchangeable with people saying Klefbom, or Larsson, really I've heard all 3 argued at length and none of these D are really any kind of elite difference makers.

The big story that season is Talbot, and a team having the fortune to go through a season without significant injury trouble which with players made out of glass like Klef and Sekera is pretty amazing in it self. The chance of both being healthy for a season at the same time is remote.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I've never even understood what people have seen in this player. I always thought he was poorly suited for the intense WC, pacific division forecheck and has trouble handling the apes. He isn't particularly strong, isn't particularly skilled. I could see him excelling at a lower rung of hockey but at this point he's done at this level and has looked like it for a longtime. The last time he even had a good game was the 16-17 season and it was the only year here when he was good for us.

Its odd that for weeks people are talking about how the team will be better with Klef back and then he's back and now its talk about Sekera. The reality is, if you've seen Sekera skate at all the last coupld months we're probably better off with Gravel, or even Petrovic.

Really for Sekera to take several months after skating in a no contact Jersey to getting back in games is incredibly foretelling. Its basically clear indication that the progress has been interminably slow or not significant.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear he's completely done before the season is out.

Well you are a glass is 98% empty guy, so really it is no surprise... ;)

Reactions: TB12

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Thought he looked decent in 15/16, problem was that after Klefbom went down after 30 GP he was the only D on the ice capable of handling top4 minutes. He looked great in 16/17 when we actually had four top4 D men, since then he's been injured or playing with a brace so I don't really see a point going after him because of that.

I don't think anyone sees him as the saviour for this team, but the fact remains that the only time this team has looked good on D is when we've had four actual top4 D available. Add in that Nurse has developed into one now I only see positives with Sekera back and healthy. Gives us more options in how to deploy our D in the best possible situations.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
Sekera has a good head on his shoulders. That’s more important than being a physical D. Even Hitch said that Sekera is “excellent at making the first pass”. He’s a difference maker on this team which has had brutal D this year.

Reactions: Consultant

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

THAT and barely getting by a SJ Sharks club that had critical players injured. Its not even like the accomplishment that season was monumental. A blip on the radar.

Yet every convo its like; Sekera was a huge reason we did as well as we did, interchangeable with people saying Klefbom, or Larsson, really I've heard all 3 argued at length and none of these D are really any kind of elite difference makers.

The big story that season is Talbot, and a team having the fortune to go through a season without significant injury trouble which with players made out of glass like Klef and Sekera is pretty amazing in it self. The chance of both being healthy for a season at the same time is remote.
It's funny that you choose to hang your hat on Talbot's 16/17 as a point of reference for his level (potential) while for Sekera, Klefbom and Larsson, who all had very good seasons, it is not to be considered... Talbot had a great season, but others were also big parts in the success the team had that year. SJS was a SC final team just the year before, injuries or not, it was a formidable opponent.

Anyhow, I am not about to join further in that discussion but it is interesting how opinions get molded to fit for players you like or dislike.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well you are a glass is 98% empty guy, so really it is no surprise... ;)

In fairness I'm probably among the biggest supporters of Nurse on the board. I like D that are making an impact and appreciably getting better. Darnell is going to be a star in this league and making quite clear differences.

Sekera is a case of a D making quieter contributions but as in the case of Larsson the offensive upside of Sekera was really oversold and the contract is really quite high for what the player has brought, and also considering he's rarely in the lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's funny that you choose to hang your hat on Talbot's 16/17 as a point of reference for his level (potential) while for Sekera, Klefbom and Larsson, who all had very good seasons, it is not to be considered... Talbot had a great season, but others were also big parts in the success the team had that year. SJS was a SC final team just the year before, injuries or not, it was a formidable opponent.

Anyhow, I am not about to join further in that discussion but it is interesting how opinions get molded to fit for players you like or dislike.

Not at all. Just that people are equally saying that all of Klef, Sekera, or Larsson were big reasons for the run. I think Talbot, McD, Drai probably had a lot more to do with the team success that season and its not an unfathomable take. I do think the contributions of the 3 D in question here get chronically overstated. These are not elite D, not anything close. They don't move results, and of them, in a way that stellar D can.

Talbot was in Vezina trophy consideration in 16/17 and could have won had he been playing on a better team, with a better and complete lineup, and with shutdown D, none of which these guys are.

These 3 are not PMD, they are not offensive D, they are not shutdown D, or even efficient transition D. There is no key facet any of them excel at. They are good D, but underwhelming relative to the better D in this league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not at all. Just that people are equally saying that all of Klef, Sekera, or Larsson were big reasons for the run. I think Talbot, McD, Drai probably had a lot more to do with the team success that season and its not an unfathomable take. I do think the contributions of the 3 D in question here get chronically overstated. These are not elite D, not anything close. They don't move results, and of them, in a way that stellar D can.

Talbot was in Vezina trophy consideration in 16/17 and could have won had he been playing on a better team, with a better and complete lineup, and with shutdown D, none of which these guys are.

These 3 are not PMD, they are not offensive D, they are not shutdown D, or even efficient transition D. There is no key facet any of them excel at. They are good D, but underwhelming relative to the better D in this league.
My word.....

Reactions: TB12 and LaGu

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Does anybody understand, how is this all LTIR process calculated?

I followed the instruction on Capfriendly, but im very confused how did they come to their numbers.

Oilers team

LTIR FAQ

I think it's simply just based on the cap current cap hit.

They're at $80.721M right now and need to get down to $79.5M.

That's a $1.22M difference.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

You also just described Darnell Nurse, by the way.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sounds like he had a good game. Stauffer was saying he’s lost his explosiveness a few weeks ago but perhaps he’s made enough progress to be effective at the NHL level in a bottom pair. He’d be a massive upgrade there and sorely needed.

This may be more a mental thing than anything else.
Pushing off full force on a leg that has been repaired kind of messes with your mind for a while. You just dont know if it will hold up.
Then one time a situation comes up and you just react without thinking and it requires an explosive movement and everything is fine. That might be what its going to take for Sekera as well.

I think the posters writing Reggie off are mostly posters who didnt see him play last night.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Sekera was a big reason that 16-17 team went as far as they did. I'm still optimistic he'll be a better option than Manning/Gravel.
Everyone loved Klef. I thought Sekera and Larsson were why our D was so solid that year. Larsson hasnt been anywhere near as good since his first year and obviously Sekera been injured.

Sekera his first year was just ok but really improved his second year here and him and Russel were a very solid pairing the playoff year

Reactions: LaGu

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Just to add with how Talbot supporters argue he only sucks because the d in front of him is so bad. So with that logic shouldnt Talbot have to share the success of his Vezina caliber play in 16-17 with the Sekera and the other dman who made it possible?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Everyone loved Klef. I thought Sekera and Larsson were why our D was so solid that year. Larsson hasnt been anywhere near as good since his first year and obviously Sekera been injured.

Sekera his first year was just ok but really improved his second year here and him and Russel were a very solid pairing the playoff year

Lots of people seem to forget that Klefbom was an absolute train wreck for almost the entire first half of that season before he went beast mode.

Sekera was a big reason they were competitive early in the season.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Sekera has very good hockey sense aside from shinpad assassination.

One of his best skills is knowing when not to force a play. At his prime he was essentially error-free.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This may be more a mental thing than anything else.
Pushing off full force on a leg that has been repaired kind of messes with your mind for a while. You just dont know if it will hold up.
Then one time a situation comes up and you just react without thinking and it requires an explosive movement and everything is fine. That might be what its going to take for Sekera as well.

I think the posters writing Reggie off are mostly posters who didnt see him play last night.

I’m worried it’s a permanent thing which is a death knell for defencemen in particular. (Ray Whitney after his ankle surgery was never the same, lost his first 3 steps). His game yesterday sounds positive though so that is very encouraging!

Reactions: guymez

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
To be clear, which I think is what most are saying, Sekera returning to a 3rd pairing role would be great. I don't think many thinks it will be more than that this season.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

the point is, that with all three of them healthy plus Russell and Nurse it allowed the Oilers to have 3 solid if not spectacular defensive pairings, as opposed to 1 and then 2 pairings of trash without them.

That was the key. The D wasn't high end but in 16/17 they had 3 pairs that you could reasonably trust to not f*** up too badly. Lose Klefbom and Sekera though and you lose that, which is why these past couple seasons have been a shit show in comparison.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m worried it’s a permanent thing which is a death knell for defencemen in particular. (Ray Whitney after his ankle surgery was never the same, lost his first 3 steps). His game yesterday sounds positive though so that is very encouraging!
Different players take it differently. Whitney was kind of an offensive guy that used his skating to produce his offense. Sekera had always been about positioning and error free hockey, which you can still do when your skating starts to go

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sekera on 1 leg > Benning. :nod:
Not based on last year.

Different players take it differently. Whitney was kind of an offensive guy that used his skating to produce his offense. Sekera had always been about positioning and error free hockey, which you can still do when your skating starts to go

He was arguably the worst player in the NHL last year without his skating.

Seriously, do people just not remember how bad he was?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad