Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'd choose Sekera at 50% over Benning, Manning, etc. any day of the week.

CzMhIwO.gif
It’s amazing how quickly the anger comes back after watching this.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Hitchcock in the pre-game presser about Sekera:

"The players are bugging us all the time because they see him at practice, and they see how good he is at practice, and they're hoping that this weekend he jumps ahead. .... It's basically a 1 and 1A which we've played 30 games without, which is hard to do. We held on for a little while ... then we brought in players because we wanted to try to stay afloat but it didn't probably work as well as we maybe thought it might. He [Klefbom] is good at making first passes and Sekera is excellent at making first passes, so if we ever get these two guys back in it's gonna make our whole group completely different."

I know people have soured on Hitch, but some interesting comments in there imo.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hitchcock in the pre-game presser about Sekera:

"The players are bugging us all the time because they see him at practice, and they see how good he is at practice, and they're hoping that this weekend he jumps ahead. .... It's basically a 1 and 1A which we've played 30 games without, which is hard to do. We held on for a little while ... then we brought in players because we wanted to try to stay afloat but it didn't probably work as well as we maybe thought it might. He [Klefbom] is good at making first passes and Sekera is excellent at making first passes, so if we ever get these two guys back in it's gonna make our whole group completely different."

I know people have soured on Hitch, but some interesting comments in there imo.
Considering the Oilers are asking for the extension for the Conditioning stint you'd think he wouldn't say this?

Great too hear though

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Sekera is good again our D is our strong point. Like Gravel would be our 6th man. B
I feel like he felt good and looked good last year as well, but once the game happened he couldn't keep up.

Maybe they keep it simple and he is just out there to make outlet passes

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I would not expect much of anything for the first 10 games or do (if he gets activated). Sheltered 3rd line mins and just trying not to mess up too much. Sekera Gravel as 3rd pair.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would not expect much of anything for the first 10 games or do (if he gets activated). Sheltered 3rd line mins and just trying not to mess up too much.
I think he'd be good at defensive zone starts. Get the puck out quicker and make a change.

I just don't know that Hitch would really play him 14 minutes a night or is he going to be at 20

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Unlike most, I'm actually pretty stoked about Sekera's return to game action. I'm hopeful he's back to full health and performs well during his stint in Bakersfield. I'm not expecting a miracle, but if he can still play, perform well enough, and stay healthy through the remainder of the season, it gives the next GM a bit more flexibility on moves he can make in the offseason.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think he'd be good at defensive zone starts. Get the puck out quicker and make a change.

I just don't know that Hitch would really play him 14 minutes a night or is he going to be at 20
Considering how he talked about him I could see him getting 20 mins, but I then he'd have to play right side I guess. Or do we cut down Nurse and Klefbom's time massively from 22-25 mins/night.

Anyhow, all hypothetical. I'll remain positive, but I also realise that there is probably a big chance that they don't even activate him and he remains on IR. Would be a bummer though.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Considering the Oilers are asking for the extension for the Conditioning stint you'd think he wouldn't say this?

Great too hear though

Where did you hear they asked for an extension? They can ask but I haven’t seen where they did and thought they only could after 3 games and only with the players consent.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I feel like he felt good and looked good last year as well, but once the game happened he couldn't keep up.

Maybe they keep it simple and he is just out there to make outlet passes
Unfortunately this isn’t like football where you can say, have a guy do nothing but long snap a ball. He’ll have to be capable of holding his own in a lot more things than just making outlet passes.

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Sekera should request to stay in Bakersfield for the rest of the season. Make the same money to play in California on a winning team or come play in the Arctic on a sinking ship.

Reactions: guymez

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
To all people in this thread that are thinking that Sekera could slip onto our 2nd line, keep on dreaming.
The dude has hardly played any hockey over the past two seasons. He didn't even get enough time to play last season to get over his last injury.
His ass will be stuck on the 3rd pairing for the entire season. If we're lucky he'll be challenging for the #4 spot by the end of the year and he avoids injury this off season for the first time in... 3 off-seasons.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unfortunately this isn’t like football where you can say, have a guy do nothing but long snap a ball. He’ll have to be capable of holding his own in a lot more things than just making outlet passes.
Why Bergeron just took draws at the Olympics. Gagner just played PP. You can have Reggie just playing defensive zone starts and then leaving.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Where did you hear they asked for an extension? They can ask but I haven’t seen where they did and thought they only could after 3 games and only with the players consent.
Gregor had it in his game day article

The Oilers are hoping the league accepts their application for Sekera to have his conditioning stint extended from three games to five. If the league does then Sekera could play this Friday, Saturday and next Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and that would allow interim GM, Keith Gretzky, more time to facilitate a trade so when the activate Sekera they won’t have to send two players to the minors.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

The Oilers are hoping the league accepts their application for Sekera to have his conditioning stint extended from three games to five. If the league does then Sekera could play this Friday, Saturday and next Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and that would allow interim GM, Keith Gretzky, more time to facilitate a trade so when the activate Sekera they won’t have to send two players to the minors.

Ugh. It sure sounds like we are going to be stuck with Sekera and his 5.5 million contract. 5.5 is rather expensive for a guy who will be, at best, playing the equivalent of a 7th dman. (and I'm not even sure he'll be able to do that)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To all people in this thread that are thinking that Sekera could slip onto our 2nd line, keep on dreaming.
The dude has hardly played any hockey over the past two seasons. He didn't even get enough time to play last season to get over his last injury.
His ass will be stuck on the 3rd pairing for the entire season. If we're lucky he'll be challenging for the #4 spot by the end of the year and he avoids injury this off season for the first time in... 3 off-seasons.
Guy looked like crap last year. Now add another bunch of missed time. Not sure why he all of sudden will be better than he was last year.

And it's not like last year's options of Davidson, Gryba, Bear and Auvitu were better than what we have this year

Reactions: thadd

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Guy looked like crap last year. Now add another bunch of missed time. Not sure why he all of sudden will be better than he was last year.

And it's not like last year's options of Davidson, Gryba, Bear and Auvitu were better than what we have this year
It's been well reported and commented on that his knee brace really messed with him and his mobility when he came back. He had it off for the world championships and looked much better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's been well reported and commented on that his knee brace really messed with him and his mobility when he came back. He had it off for the world championships and looked much better.
A handful of games against second rate talent isn't enough of a test for me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It would be beyond great if he can come back and look like the Sekera of '16-17 again. Much better to have him return to form that buy him out in the offseason. That said I am very skeptical that he can and will return to form.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Thanks!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I wish I could be optimistic, but I think he is done. Just too many injuries. I don't think he will contribute much and at all and will get hurt again quickly.

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad