Injury Report: Seidenberg to miss remainder of season with torn ACL/MCL

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Don't know how much stock folks put into Mick Colageo's thoughts, but here is a tweet of his and a couple of entries from his blog that might add fuel for the trade fire.

Via Twitter:

Here are a couple of his blog entries.

In the SC year,Seidenberg was an absolute beast and may have been their best defenseman. Not quite at that level last year after a slow start but still as important as any #2 defenseman in hockey and outplays the #1 many times. Huge loss.

Kaoz*

I'm not looking for any of the young guys to become an incredibly solid #2 capable of shutting down a Crosby or Malkin, but then again, that's not even what Seidenberg did in the PO's. He paired with Chara to form a shut down pair. I think Boychuk is capable of that.

The question should be whether or not the B's can find a legit 3 and 4 out of McQuaid, Hamilton, Bart, Krug, or Miller. IMO, that is possible, unlike what you suggested.

You and I remember Boston's playoffs very differently. Seids was at times paired with Chara to give Boston what was the best shutdown pairing in the playoffs, but he was often split away from Chara as well when the opposition had more then one line that needed to be shut down.

Boychuk can't replace that, he has neither the ability nor the savvy and of the guys you mentioned I'd only have Hamilton pegged as someone who can potentially backfill even Boychuks role, and he's still pretty raw to be expected to sure it all up on his lonesome.

Boston will need to be in someone of serious significance to fill that void. Everyone remembers the Krejci injury from the Flyers series, no one really remembers the fact that Seids was also a huge loss during that playoff run.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
5ish months? No.

Don`t think so plus, would you really put a player coming off that surgery into the heat of battle?? I love Seids, his value has been documented well here, but I just can`t see him being ready or even if he is capable, do you want someone who hasn`t played in that long to be asked to do so in the playoff heat?

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Don`t think so plus, would you really put a player coming off that surgery into the heat of battle?? I love Seids, his value has been documented well here, but I just can`t see him being ready or even if he is capable, do you want someone who hasn`t played in that long to be asked to do so in the playoff heat?

Yeah exactly plus he would be rusty anyhow it would be a gigantic roll of the dice only to probably be a disappointment and possibly cause Dennis to tweak his [serious] injuries. Not worth the risk for a guy who will/would have been 5 months away from hockey.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Losing Seidenberg stinks ... really, I mean it stinks.
I was afraid of this since last cup run.

Both Chara and Seidenberg are aging and mostly targeted by big hits from opponents. Fatigue, aging, big minutes all time is not a good recipe for health.

We needed a top 4 D before this now it's in a hurry we need it!.

Chara can be paired to Boychuck if needed and Hamilton will need to take big minutes and hopefully respond like a vet.

Miller did surprise me. I put him with Mcquaid on the bottom 6 if needed in the playoffs. 47 has to upgrade his game. He is no more a surprise for opponents and while important on PP, he is not reliable in D up to now, big and bad turnovers. With a new big no 4 D, He would be my 7 th D going in playoffs.

As for Bart... he has all the tools, but that is about it! His game decision, lack of physicality defines my lack of confidence in his game. I can't remember the numbers of time opponents players seek behind him for the bomb pass and breakaway since the beginning of the year. That says a lot on his hockey IQ in my book. No confidence in playoffs with him in the line up starting the PO run.

Bruins need to get a big tough top 4 D. And for that in their actual condition, with Seidenberg out, will cost more than ever to get it!

As for the cup run.... long season to go. Tampa with Stamkos out were saying the same...

Marc978

Dec 29, 2013
With Seidenberg out I think Chara should be pared up with Boychuk or Mcquaid and guys like Krug and the guys just called up from providence need to step up and help Rask out more. They just need to make good plays and decisions and we should be fine

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Bruins need to get a big tough top 4 D.

They may need to pick up another d-man, but I'm not sure they need to be in a big rush to aquire one. Hamilton may be able to become that shutdown D and he has size. So:

Chara (tough) - Hamilton <- Their absence is temporary.
Boychuck (tough) - Krug
McQuaid (tough) - Bartkowski

I don't see the dire straits that others do right now. Yeah, agree 100% that losing the "Moose" sucks. But with the D-corps mentioned above, and the temps in place right now, I still don't think Chia needs to rush right out and trade away for a missing piece.

I will allow that I could be overlooking something, but I just don't think so.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
The Rangers are high on Bart and Girardi (R) is a Seidenberg clone in terms of style and substance. There is a deal based around those 2 if the Bruins want it.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
The Rangers are high on Bart and Girardi (R) is a Seidenberg clone in terms of style and substance. There is a deal based around those 2 if the Bruins want it.

Is Chia in contact with the Rangers?

I'd love Girardi on this team, but I doubt the Rangers would let him go.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You and I remember Boston's playoffs very differently. Seids was at times paired with Chara to give Boston what was the best shutdown pairing in the playoffs, but he was often split away from Chara as well when the opposition had more then one line that needed to be shut down.

Boychuk can't replace that, he has neither the ability nor the savvy and of the guys you mentioned I'd only have Hamilton pegged as someone who can potentially backfill even Boychuks role, and he's still pretty raw to be expected to sure it all up on his lonesome.

Boston will need to be in someone of serious significance to fill that void. Everyone remembers the Krejci injury from the Flyers series, no one really remembers the fact that Seids was also a huge loss during that playoff run.

It's not that I remember the playoffs any different from you, I think we are just looking at it from two different perspectives. Whereas you seem to think of Seidenberg's injury as some sort of catastrophic loss, I prefer to look at it as a large obstacle that can be overcome by the Bruin's team defense. The Bruins experimented with splitting Sides and Chara up, but they were paired together more often than not, and I think that Boychuk and possibly even Hamilton may be able to fill that role by season's end.

I think you may be forgetting that Seidenberg missed 4 games in the PO's last year and was clearly not himself at either end of the ice after suffering some sort of knee/leg injury (groin?) early in the playoffs. Despite averaging nearly 26 minutes per game, he contributed 1 point and was only a plus 1 for the entire playoffs. The B's also lost Ference for 8 games. He was at 24:30 per game, and only contributed 2 assists (+2).

Both of those guys are "warriors" (no disrespect to the members of the armed forces), but contributed very little in the way of offense last season. Despite your assertion that Boychuk lacks the ability and savvy (not even sure what this means in this context?) to replace Sides, he actually outperformed him last season in the PO's, averaging 24 minutes per game, 7 pts (6g/1a), and was a plus 4. I would maintain that because of their lack of offensive output, they are more easily replaced in the B's system by guys like Boychuk and McQuaid stepping up, and hopefully their roles being filled by the youngsters.

I also think that with the play of Spooner, the B's have the ability to slide Kelly onto the 4th line and give them an even bigger role in the process, so that the B's are truly "rolling 4 lines" come playoff time, and wearing down the opposition, which should lessen the load on the D corps.

Seidenberg is definitely a big loss, but the B's have time to assess the damage and find out if internal replacements can do the job, before before making a costly move for a veteran #2 d-man.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I like Girardi a lot, but Bartkowski is a high price to pay for a rental, and why would the Rags be willing to mail it in already when they are only one game under .500 with a bunch of injuries to key guys.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Girard being a RH shot is a minimal concern when it comes to potentially replacing Seidenberg. I don't know if the Rangers are at the point right now where they'd entertain trading him, but it seems as though he's almost out of favor there with Vingeault as the coach. That might factor in to the Rangers possibly dealing him as opposed to their current standings place.

Stuart is a nice thought in a nostalgic sense, and would be cheaper, though he'd have a harder time filling Seids shoes. He'd be more of a depth guy that would push Boychuk up the depth chart.

I'd trade Bartkowski for Girardi though. I would.

You could see either...

Chara-Boychuk
Girardi-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid

Miller & Warsofsky

Or...

Chara-Boychuk
Stuart-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid

Bartkowski & Miller

Last edited:

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Not sure if Girardi can play both sides, but currently, B's have:

Z - LH
Krug - LH (can play RS)
Bart - LH
Warsofsky - LH
Dougie - RH
McQuaid - RH
Miller - RH
Trotman - RH

And Sides was a lefty who could play either side.

No doubt Girardi would be a great addition, but I'd rather have a true LH dman. Main issue would be losing him on the free agency.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
They may need to pick up another d-man, but I'm not sure they need to be in a big rush to aquire one. Hamilton may be able to become that shutdown D and he has size. So:

Chara (tough) - Hamilton <- Their absence is temporary.
Boychuck (tough) - Krug
McQuaid (tough) - Bartkowski

I don't see the dire straits that others do right now. Yeah, agree 100% that losing the "Moose" sucks. But with the D-corps mentioned above, and the temps in place right now, I still don't think Chia needs to rush right out and trade away for a missing piece.

I will allow that I could be overlooking something, but I just don't think so.

---
That's where I disagree with you. Hope though you are right and I am wrong.

Krug on the second pairing and Bart as a regular on the third pairing is just not good for the Bruins. Need an upgrade.

At best Krug on a third pairing, and at best - Bart as a 7 th. But that is it.

Hamilton is young but I believe he has what's needed. I still believe that he is really young to manage primary minutes on a long season and playoffs coming.

I throw for sure Miller in there before Bart. As for Krug, I like the guy. But In D zone, he is in difficulty.

Bart will fit more on an open ice - up tempo game team rather than the organized structured Bruins. Throw him in a trade.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Girard being a RH shot is a minimal concern when it comes to potentially replacing Seidenberg. I don't know if the Rangers are at the point right now where they'd entertain trading him, but it seems as though he's almost out of favor there with Vingeault as the coach. That might factor in to the Rangers possibly dealing him as opposed to their current standings place.

Stuart is a nice thought in a nostalgic sense, and would be cheaper, though he'd have a harder time filling Seids shoes. He'd be more of a depth guy that would push Boychuk up the depth chart.

I'd trade Bartkowski for Girardi though. I would.

You could see either...

Chara-Boychuk
Girardi-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid

Miller & Warsofsky

Or...

Chara-Boychuk
Stuart-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid

Bartkowski & Miller

I'm on the fence. IMO, Bart is solid on his own end and can improve. Obviously not now, but if possible I'd trade McQuaid in the offseason. About Girardi, he is going to demand US$ 4.5M+ and I don't think we can pay that, but, just in case:

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug-Girardi
Bartkowski-Miller

Best defense in the NHL? I don't know, top 5 for sure.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
I'm on the fence. IMO, Bart is solid on his own end and can improve. Obviously not now, but if possible I'd trade McQuaid in the offseason. About Girardi, he is going to demand US$ 4.5M+ and I don't think we can pay that, but, just in case:

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug-Girardi
Bartkowski-Miller

Best defense in the NHL? I don't know, top 5 for sure.

I meant it in the sense that Girardi would be a rental. I'd still trade Bartkowski for him were that the case. I don't think there's any way we could resign him, but I wouldn't be looking to.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.

Makes sense to me. Bartkowski has alot of Seidenberg in him though. I think he has a chance to be the same player down the road. The big question is if we get Girardi do we keep him and if we do does that mean McQuaid gets moved?

Its funny, well not really, because I just posted a feed about how much depth we had. I should have put in there that if we lost Chara, Seidenberg, Bergeron, Lucic or Krejci it doesn't matter how much depth we have because those guys cannot really be replaced. To me those five are our core guys. Girardi would be the best fit to replace Seidenberg for the short term and would fit well with this team as the cap goes up for the future.

I would not have a problem with us riding this out though. Miller can be solid if anyone else gets hurt and it would be a good test for Dougie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad