Injury Report: Seidenberg to miss remainder of season with torn ACL/MCL

Kaoz*

Too much doom and gloom. I'm not underestimating Seid's importance, but let's just run with what we have for a few games before throwing out chum into the trade waters.

Because maybe Trotman, Millar, Warsofsky, or Krug will blossom into an incredibly solid #2 capable of shutting down the likes of Crosby or Malkin and carrying a pairing defensively on their own.

Just can't see it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Seidenberg has been absolutely instrumental to Boston's success. He was huge in the Bruins cup run and huge again last year and at time as important, perhaps even more so then Chara.

A lot of people downplaying his importance imo, this one's devastating to the Bruins hopes this year. Replacing him through trade wouldn't be easy either, if at all possible.

He's not replaceable. Straight up.

What we need to do however, is find someone in and around 2/3 of what he is... And rely on our third pair to kick some ass and take on a little more responsibility.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Because maybe Trotman, Millar, Warsofsky, or Krug will blossom into an incredibly solid #2 capable of shutting down the likes of Crosby or Malkin and carrying a pairing defensively on their own.

Just can't see it.

I'm not looking for any of the young guys to become an incredibly solid #2 capable of shutting down a Crosby or Malkin, but then again, that's not even what Seidenberg did in the PO's. He paired with Chara to form a shut down pair. I think Boychuk is capable of that.

The question should be whether or not the B's can find a legit 3 and 4 out of McQuaid, Hamilton, Bart, Krug, or Miller. IMO, that is possible, unlike what you suggested.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I'm not looking for any of the young guys to become an incredibly solid #2 capable of shutting down a Crosby or Malkin, but then again, that's not even what Seidenberg did in the PO's. He paired with Chara to form a shut down pair. I think Boychuk is capable of that.

The question should be whether or not the B's can find a legit 3 and 4 out of McQuaid, Hamilton, Bart, Krug, or Miller. IMO, that is possible, unlike what you suggested.

wont happen.
seids wad able to take the hits shots speed and pressure of playoff hockey. hes a beast like chara and boychuk somewhat.

i can maybe see miller . but thats just in my bruins colored glasses.

girardi would be the best fit.
even if we have a guy step up. the bottom 2 would only get worse.
we need to bring in a top 4 if we want a deep run.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
confirmed:
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=697825
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/...y/2013/12/seidenberg_injury_leaves_gapin.html

It's always tough to lose a veteran defenseman like Seidenberg, but... defensive defenseman are easier to find than offensive defensemen right?

What are the pairings now?

Chara-Hamilton
Boychuck-Krug
Mcquaid-Bartkowski

With Miller as the 7th defenseman? Plus Warsofsky and Trotman have been called up.
It's not that bad. Not that great but not that bad either.
It would be nice to add some veteran depth to the defense, but I wouldn't act desperately and overpay either.

I guess we might try to make a deal with the Rangers for one of their extra defensemen. But who to target?
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...mors-glen-sather-desperately-seeking-partners

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Id say you are severely underrating Seidenberg. Will the bruins miss him during the regular season? No but the guy is a playoff beast. Arguably has been better than Chara. The Seidenberg/Chara pairing was unbeatable and capable of completely shutting down anyones top line. That is a huge loss for the playoffs

Quite accurate. Particularly as this is an Olympic year. Who knows who else among the Bruins could become injured during that event, as well. Even at best, Chara, who was completely gassed during last year's playoff campaign, would have it even harder this year, given that. But, without Seids, it's a real problem. Love our young guys, but a Cup final would be a big lift.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Huge loss, no doubt, but some of the doom and gloom seems a bit premature. First, we have no idea if they'll plan on adding a shutdown d-man for the stretch run and playoffs. And second, given the maturity of Hamilton couldn't you see Boychuk playing the #2/Seidenberg role with Chara, and Hamilton becoming the solid second line option?

Far from perfect, it's always tough losing a top player, but it's not as if other teams are without injury and a (minor) blessing is that this came early enough that they can plan for life without Dennis, either adding another top d-man in a trade or at least spending half a year adjusting to a D corp without a ready-made #2 guy.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Huge loss, no doubt, but some of the doom and gloom seems a bit premature. First, we have no idea if they'll plan on adding a shutdown d-man for the stretch run and playoffs. And second, given the maturity of Hamilton couldn't you see Boychuk playing the #2/Seidenberg role with Chara, and Hamilton becoming the solid second line option?

Far from perfect, it's always tough losing a top player, but it's not as if other teams are without injury and a (minor) blessing is that this came early enough that they can plan for life without Dennis, either adding another top d-man in a trade or at least spending half a year adjusting to a D corp without a ready-made #2 guy.

"Well, Joel, you've done some respectable work here,...but, it's not quite Ivy League, now, is it..."

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
"Well, Joel, you've done some respectable work here,...but, it's not quite Ivy League, now, is it..."

I'm of the mind that, given a reasonably healthy offense, this team could be incredibly potent come playoffs, Yeti with a full year under his belt, the additions of Loui, Iginla and Smith (and a subtraction of Seguin, who really didn't contribute much during the playoffs, and Peverley), the speed of Spooner...they may not need the crazy shutdown defense they've had in the past with this kind of offense.

Not saying it's a great situation, Seidenberg was HUGE in their Cup runs, but they might have a bit more room for error on the D corp with an improved offensive game.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Seidenberg is of course a huge loss and not a player who can easily if at all be replaced. That said, 39 games into the Season isn't time to panic, and it's not as if the Bruins don't have any kind of Defensive depth. Let's see what some of these young guys can do; and also not overuse Chara in the process. If by the Olympic break all signs are showing that the Bruins depth chart isn't going to be good enough, then let's see what magic Chia can come up with. But assuming that Seidenberg is going to be back for next Season, I wouldn't go selling the farm to try and replace Seidenberg with the cost of anyone who could somehow equal him.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
Although the Bruins may be able to get by with what is available, there is not enough depth behind it. We are only half way through the year and there is still more opportunity for further injuries.
Seidenberg is not replaceable, the guy is a workhorse, not many D around like him let alone available.
But this could be a good time to open a spot for Spooner, he just belongs in the lineup.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Compound this with Erikkssons issues... a lack of top end offensive talent.... ouch.

I don't the no this a year they can trade picks or prospects for Anything that would be an 'over the top' addition.....

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Jesus Christ... This is a colossal blow as far as I'm concerned. Yes, we have depth, but losing one of the best #2 d-men in the league isn't something that can be easily replaced.

Missed the game today as well. How did that blueline hold up minus all those key guys?

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Sucks for the team and the draft / prospects as some are going away to try to backfill the gap the B's have on D now...

Other than that, I wish the guy a speedy and full recovery from this and all the best. He appears to be a genuine nice guy and I look forward to seeing him on the B's when he's back and recovered.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Sucks... my condolences...

Wille Mitchell: Take a look at this guy. He missed last year so the Kings brought in Regehr. Mitchell and Regehr are both nice, but with the cap and the Kings need to address LW they maybe forced to move Mitchell. Kings are about to put together a 3-4 game losing streak that could push Lombardi into making a trade.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He's not replaceable. Straight up.

What we need to do however, is find someone in and around 2/3 of what he is... And rely on our third pair to kick some ass and take on a little more responsibility.

ideally boychuk can step up and a kid can grow into Johnny's role

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Seidenberg gotta be at least semi-replaced. If not it is an awfully young defence core to put up with the likes of Crosby and Malkin. If I'm PC I have my eye on two guys. Either Kulikov out of Florida or Robidas out of Dallas. Both guys won't be UFA until after next season but with the cap rising and their not so huge contracts it shouldn't be a problem. Kulikov has already been shopped by Florida so can definitely be had. It'll cost us a young Dman for sure. They'll want probably a roster forward and and decent prospect/pick....It could cost Bartkowski, Caron and Koko and possibly more. I also think a similar package would be needed for Robidas. Either way I definitely explore these two teams to see what it would take.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Id say you are severely underrating Seidenberg. Will the bruins miss him during the regular season? No but the guy is a playoff beast. Arguably has been better than Chara. The Seidenberg/Chara pairing was unbeatable and capable of completely shutting down anyones top line. That is a huge loss for the playoffs

QFT.

Loosing Seids is very bad. Dennis will be hard to replace and the B's chances in the playoffs without him aren't as good.

Sucks

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seidenberg is of course a huge loss and not a player who can easily if at all be replaced. That said, 39 games into the Season isn't time to panic, and it's not as if the Bruins don't have any kind of Defensive depth. Let's see what some of these young guys can do; and also not overuse Chara in the process. If by the Olympic break all signs are showing that the Bruins depth chart isn't going to be good enough, then let's see what magic Chia can come up with. But assuming that Seidenberg is going to be back for next Season, I wouldn't go selling the farm to try and replace Seidenberg with the cost of anyone who could somehow equal him.

Great post and Chia doesn`t operate like that either (sell the farm).

The luxury is, the B`s are in a good spot in the standings and have "some" wiggle room to absorb a stretch of less productive play (point wise).

Another thing going for him is the East is garbage so likely he won`t have to make a move prematurely

We shall see, any way you cut it, fun to watch the kids in the system playing, terrible for Seids, such a warrior

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Don't know how much stock folks put into Mick Colageo's thoughts, but here is a tweet of his and a couple of entries from his blog that might add fuel for the trade fire.

Via Twitter:
@MickColageo: Made a short list of left-shot Dmen #NHLBruins may consider at March 5 trade deadline.

Here are a couple of his blog entries.

Seidenberg loss a crippling blow

In the long view, the news that defenseman Dennis Seidenberg is out for the season is a devastating blow to the Bruins’ hopes for another run at the Stanley Cup this spring. It’s a game changer for the March 5 trade deadline, as the management team will immediately up its pro scouting charge from finding potential bottom-end help to a top-four rental on a team that, come the deadline, could be out of the playoff chase (Dan Girardi?).

Window shopping

A midseason look at left-shooting veteran defensemen who are impending free agents that the Bruins may consider in the trade market if their teams are out of the playoff chase at the March 5 trade deadline. Included: player, team, age at time of 2014 Stanley Cup, HT/WT, 2013-14 stats, average ice time, contract status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad