Injury Report: Seidenberg to miss remainder of season with torn ACL/MCL

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
I wouldn't trade for anyone. This team is more than capable of winning without Sieds. All this overreacting about who we should trade for is hysterical. You would think we just lost bergeron, chara, and krejci in one shot.

Id say you are severely underrating Seidenberg. Will the bruins miss him during the regular season? No but the guy is a playoff beast. Arguably has been better than Chara. The Seidenberg/Chara pairing was unbeatable and capable of completely shutting down anyones top line. That is a huge loss for the playoffs

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
I mean...

Please go ask Philly fans what they've thought of Meszaros this year, and for that matter, any fan who has had the chance to watch him over the past 4 or 5 years and get back to me on that.

Why is everyone so desperate to make a move NOW NOW NOW instead of just testing the depth of our D (Hamilton will be returning) and making a trade possibly down the road. As I said, pump the brakes. We're not in some crazy, unthinkable bind at the moment that some are making it out to be.

I look at it like this:

- you want your kids to get exposure- they are now.
- you want to make a deal if you need to earlier than later to allow guys to acclimate to systems/partners.
- you want to avoid deadline prices if at all possible. Bidding wars and chasing for remaining guys can hurt the wallet
-you need another veteran guy that can eat minutes. You can't ask kids with no experience to do so.

If you went in with your current d pool, you'd have 2 guys that have played big minutes in big games, 1 depth guy that has really good experience and 2 guys who you will look to in the playoffs but both with limited experience. The rest, completely untested.

What you need is the other veteran guy that can eat minutes and be on the PK. You don't need to require them to move the puck, play the pp but they need to be able to play top 2 pairs and skate well enough to not be a liability. Mostly, you want them to, as Dan put it, have ice water in their veins when games are most important and tight to keep the rest of your guys calm.

Thats why I'm jumping on the "let's make a deal train" already.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Id say you are severely underrating Seidenberg. Will the bruins miss him during the regular season? No but the guy is a playoff beast. Arguably has been better than Chara. The Seidenberg/Chara pairing was unbeatable and capable of completely shutting down anyones top line. That is a huge loss for the playoffs

Right now yes, it is. There's time though. We may be ok. We have to be.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I look at it like this:

- you want to make a deal if you need to earlier than later to allow guys to acclimate to systems/partners.
- you want to avoid deadline prices if at all possible. Bidding wars and chasing for remaining guys can hurt the wallet
-you need another veteran guy that can eat minutes. You can't ask kids with no experience to do so.

If you went in with your current d pool, you'd have 2 guys that have played big minutes in big games, 1 depth guy that has really good experience and 2 guys who you will look to in the playoffs but both with limited experience. The rest, completely untested.

What you need is the other veteran guy that can eat minutes and be on the PK. You don't need to require them to move the puck, play the pp but they need to be able to play top 2 pairs and skate well enough to not be a liability. Mostly, you want them to, as Dan put it, have ice water in their veins when games are most important and tight to keep the rest of your guys calm.

I guess I'm not really opposed to looking into a depth move.

It's the people who bring up names like Byfuglien and Meszaros who drive me crazy. A huge reason for the Bruins' success is because they don't give or eat big contract unless the player is proven and is playing up to that level (exactly why Seguin was traded before his contract began). There is one big injury and now all the sudden people are talking about making a move which is not even guaranteed to help the team now and very well could haunt it, cap wise, for years to come, possibly causing Chia to have to make moves he doesn't want to make to stay under the cap.

I understand it's time to look at both what we have in the organization and what we could possibly get somewhere else, but these high risk-low reward type suggestions are suggestive of people who think of a team as a fantasy hockey team rather than what it really is.

Personally, I wait it out a bit. See how things go. Tonight without Chara will be a very interesting test and when both him and Hamilton are back, that will be a test. I'm all for finding a bottom 3 D-man (one that is considered a rental and costs us little the other way) for depth, but I don't think you make a gigantic move in this situation. That's got kneejerk written all over it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For those suggesting that the Bruins won't need to make a move for a top 4 d-man, do you think any of this group (Bartkowski, Krug, McQuaid, Miller, Morrow, Trotman, Warsofsky) will be ready to step in and play 20+ minutes per game during this year's playoffs?

Yes.

Based on what I have seen of Miller, I think he, Bart, or Krug could be capable of 20+ min per night by the time the playoffs roll around.

Chara, JB, Dougie, McQuaid, Bart, Krug, Miller

Losing Sides hurts, and the remaining D is young, but give them minutes from now until the deadline before doing anything stupid. The B's might be pleasantly surprised.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Yes.

Based on what I have seen of Miller, I think he, Bart, or Krug could be capable of 20+ min per night by the time the playoffs roll around.

Chara, JB, Dougie, McQuaid, Bart, Krug, Miller

Losing Sides hurts, and the remaining D is young, but give them minutes from now until the deadline before doing anything stupid. The B's might be pleasantly surprised.

Great minds GD, great minds :D

iiBruins17*

The guy on Hockey Night in Canada said they're going to wait and see what they have and wouldn't be surprised if they call the Rangers about Giardi

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I look at it like this:

Well said, but I still am in favor of letting the kids play, unless Chia can get an absolute steal on a guy with the requisite abilities (which is unlikely).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For those suggesting that the Bruins won't need to make a move for a top 4 d-man, do you think any of this group (Bartkowski, Krug, McQuaid, Miller, Morrow, Trotman, Warsofsky) will be ready to step in and play 20+ minutes per game during this year's playoffs?

At Sieds level? No.

At a #4 D level? Yes. Remember, Ference was in the top 4 in 2011.

The more important question is this: Can one of Hamilton or Boychuk step up and play those hard mins next to Chara to replace Seids in the playoffs?

I think Hamilton will man up.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Unless Seids is replaced by a solid / stud d-man, we won't win the cup. Period. Regular season we will be fine...etc...but come playoffs, this is our weakness, not our strength. Want to win the cup? Chia will have to make a deal - which I am sure he will.

agree

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Unless Seids is replaced by a solid / stud d-man, we won't win the cup. Period. Regular season we will be fine...etc...but come playoffs, this is our weakness, not our strength. Want to win the cup? Chia will have to make a deal - which I am sure he will.

I would ask how you can say this (and agree) before you have even see the current group play for an extended period?

As a counter to this, I would mention that the B's made the Finals last year with less experienced versions of both Krug and Bart playing significant minutes.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Ugg. Crushing.

Next up. Bart. Welcome to a full time spot. Sure, i'd look to upgrade the D at the deadline. Try. But it is what it is. Gotta plan to go with Bart for the haul.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Dmitri kulikov and kris russell are too names jumping onto my radar... affordable cap hits... one a rfa the other ufa... I think Russell is taking a huge step forward this year but is currently injured. kulikov needs a change of scenery.

cost for these guys might be bartowski +
both teams might like caron???
obviously both teams need draft picks

theres other moving pieces we might be able to use if the deal goes down at deadline. cammalleri would be a sweet addition or maybe its time to ask Kelly to please accept a trade to warm weather florida and bring back some affordable depth forward like brad boyes for playoffs instead?

I think our top 4 is still solid with Hamilton/chara and boychuck/with either krug or bartowski but id love to bump these kids down to play with mcquaid and get someone like kulikov or Russell instead for the big mins

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Dmitri kulikov and kris russell are too names jumping onto my radar... affordable cap hits... one a rfa the other ufa... I think Russell is taking a huge step forward this year but is currently injured. kulikov needs a change of scenery.

cost for these guys might be bartowski +
both teams might like caron???
obviously both teams need draft picks

theres other moving pieces we might be able to use if the deal goes down at deadline. cammalleri would be a sweet addition or maybe its time to ask Kelly to please accept a trade to warm weather florida and bring back some affordable depth forward like brad boyes for playoffs instead?

I think our top 4 is still solid with Hamilton/chara and boychuck/with either krug or bartowski but id love to bump these kids down to play with mcquaid and get someone like kulikov or Russell instead for the big mins

I like Kulikov, but FLA would want a King's Ransom if he was even available. Russell?

Pass...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I like Kulikov, but FLA would want a King's Ransom if he was even available. Russell?

Pass...

Kulikov is pretty meh to me too. And I can't see the Panthers wanting to deal him.

Russel I like (have for a long time). But we have a lot of guys who I think would be to his level of effectiveness available to us already.

Kaoz*

Seidenberg has been absolutely instrumental to Boston's success. He was huge in the Bruins cup run and huge again last year and at time as important, perhaps even more so then Chara.

A lot of people downplaying his importance imo, this one's devastating to the Bruins hopes this year. Replacing him through trade wouldn't be easy either, if at all possible.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Agree with this.
You will also have to consider that we would be going into the playoffs without Claude Julien who would most likely have a massive stroke if he had to ice a defense roster half comprised of players with limited to no playoff experience.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Too much doom and gloom. I'm not underestimating Seid's importance, but let's just run with what we have for a few games before throwing out chum into the trade waters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad