Injury Report: Seidenberg to miss remainder of season with torn ACL/MCL

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
They have enough depth on the blueline and enough chips to acquire another top 4 to remain the team to beat in the East.

How do you manage the cap issue that results from picking up a top 4 dman? One day Seids comes back. Then what?

Obviously you'd rather have him, but he's not a game breaker or even a #1 dman. He's a very good #2. Great teams can win without very good #2's.

But this team is not winning without our very good dman. I think you, too, are underestimating the moose's contributions and value to the team.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
How do you manage the cap issue that results from picking up a top 4 dman? One day Seids comes back. Then what?

Just on this point- Seids is going to be down for the season. You have the ability to manage the cap until seasons end because of that and can then make your adjustments to become prepared for next season during the summer.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

But this team is not winning without our very good dman. I think you, too, are underestimating the moose's contributions and value to the team.

A) You've got LTIR to manage the cap hit from acquiring another top 4 d-man

2) I have been lauding the contributions of Dennis Seidenberg since he got here. In my opinion he's the most underrated player on this team. That said, they've rarely had more depth on D than they do this season, and they have the assets to acquire another top 4, or better, if needed. The question isn't whether this lineup can win without Seidenberg. The question is whether a defense of Chara, Boychuk, #3 TBD, McQuaid, Hamilton, Krug, etc. is a Cup contending defense. I say it absolutely is.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

Just on this point- Seids is going to be down for the season. You have the ability to manage the cap until seasons end because of that and can then make your adjustments to become prepared for next season during the summer.

A) You've got LTIR to manage the cap hit from acquiring another top 4 d-man

Yes, I understand what both of you are saying. However, I would argue that Chiarelli is not likely to pick up a Seidenberg replacement (top-4 dman, who is really top-2 during the playoffs) as a rental. This replacement will be costly and could be difficult to move in the post season. Then what? It's the post season adjustments I would be concerned with.

Outside of the loss of Seidenberg I think our D-corps is actually quite good if not a little young. I don't see Chia moving anyone presently on the roster to make room for this rental, and I don't see Chia picking up a comparable replacement for the moose that he will be able to move in the off-season.

I think this is a bit of a conundrum.

2) I have been lauding the contributions of Dennis Seidenberg since he got here. In my opinion he's the most underrated player on this team. That said, they've rarely had more depth on D than they do this season, and they have the assets to acquire another top 4, or better, if needed. The question isn't whether this lineup can win without Seidenberg. The question is whether a defense of Chara, Boychuk, #3 TBD, McQuaid, Hamilton, Krug, etc. is a Cup contending defense. I say it absolutely is.

Agreed the team is deep. Disagree, though, that the team is going to be able to find this #3 rental and be able to manage this person (i.e. get him off the payroll) in the post season. I could be wrong, and probably am. But I see this as a big problem.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Agreed the team is deep. Disagree, though, that the team is going to be able to find this #3 rental and be able to manage this person (i.e. get him off the payroll) in the post season. I could be wrong, and probably am. But I see this as a big problem.

To me, it doesn't matter whether Dennis Seidenberg's loss hurts this team. We can agree it obviously does. And we can even agree that any acquisition isn't likely to replace his value. But if the debate is whether this team is a contender anymore without Seids, I have to laugh. If they're not a contender anymore, then who in the East is? The team we swept last playoffs whose goalie is completely unreliable? Tampa Bay? Montreal is better than us now?

Being a "contender" is a relative analysis. Show me the team in the East better equipped for a longer playoff run.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
You keep underrating Seidenberg. The results speak for themselves. Apparently some people forget the revolving door of dmen before Seidenberg came here when Chia struggled to find that compliment to Z.

Even if Boston could replace Seids at or before the deadline with someone who could step up like he has, it takes time to mesh with this system to the point Seids has.

I agree with Milbury on this one, this is a team that needs all the pieces to fall into place to succeed and Seids has always been a huge piece. Maybe if they could get someone like Phillips asap and get him into the system they might mitigate the loss, just can't see it though.
I'm not underrating Seids. I'm rating him exactly how he deserves to be rated. A solid, top 4 defenseman who is great along the wall and does a lot of things very well. He is missed, badly.

I believe if they don't add a similar player, someone who can take hard minutes from 54 and 55 and put Bartkowski in the press box, we are cooked.

Kaoz*

I'm not underrating Seids. *I'm rating him exactly how he deserves to be rated. A solid, top 4 defenseman who is great along the wall and does a lot of things very well. He is missed, badly.

I believe if they don't add a similar player, someone who can take hard minutes from 54 and 55 and put Bartkowski in the press box, we are cooked.

*says you in your opinion.

In mine he's much better then a solid top 4 dman and simply getting another top 4 minute eater isn't going to plug the gap, they need more then that. He is the second biggest cog in this teams defensive system and has at different periods of time been the biggest (I believe during the cup run he saw just as much TOI as Chara). That makes him a very solid #2 dman on a team that thrives on their defensive system which makes him near irreplaceable.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

In mine he's much better then a solid top 4 dman and simply getting another top 4 minute eater isn't going to plug the gap, they need more then that. He is the second biggest cog in this teams defensive system and has at different periods of time been the biggest (I believe during the cup run he saw just as much TOI as Chara). That makes him a very solid #2 dman on a team that thrives on their defensive system which makes him near irreplaceable.

You are absolutely correct in you assessment. The guy is pretty much irreplaceable and this point. I think they need to get a shot-blocker/pker to at least fill that part of his role. I doubt they'll find a 25-27 minute guy like him, so they'll need to get as close to that as they can.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

Fully agreed.

Not only are a lot of minutes needed to be filled but they are also the toughest minutes. The trickle down effect to the rest of our d-men, half of which are practically rookies, can't be underestimated.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I said it as soon as he went down and still believe that his loss is going to be huge if we make it deep into the playoffs. We will have enough talent once everyone is healthy to make it past a round or two. However, we are not going to win the Cup without finding a suitable replacement. He was a monster this year up until his injury and was masking defensive deficiencies of some of the other guys. Yes, we have depth at D, but not enough depth to replace a top-flight defensive defenseman. The B's record and defensive play since Seids' injury should be enough to show how big of a loss he has been.

I don't know what can be done though. To trade for someone of his caliber is going to cost us in a trade, and that would be basically as a soldier for hire for the rest of the year. Seids will be back next year, meaning it would present some cap issues to keep a person we may get past this season. I guess Chia has to make a tough decision about whether or not to roll the dice and put together a trade package and give this team a good chance at a Cup this year. The alternative would be to cross his fingers and hope that somehow the defense can be good enough without an adequate replacement for Seids to take us to the finals. He's a smart guy so if anyone can do it Chia can come up with something.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Top 4 d-man? Seids is a great #2. You don't have to have much of an offensive game to be a good number 2 guy.

Chara is a great #1, Boychuk a good #3, Hamilton is looking like a good #4 at the moment, and Krug and McQuaid are a perfect bottom pairing to have. Bartkowsi and Miller are even great guys to fill in. Unfortunately, Seids being out screws everything up as everyone is playing a bit over their heads except Chara, but he has to pick his game up to pick up the slack. Seids absolutely needs to be replaced.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Top 4 d-man? Seids is a great #2. You don't have to have much of an offensive game to be a good number 2 guy.

Chara is a great #1, Boychuk a good #3, Hamilton is looking like a good #4 at the moment, and Krug and McQuaid are a perfect bottom pairing to have. Bartkowsi and Miller are even great guys to fill in. Unfortunately, Seids being out screws everything up as everyone is playing a bit over their heads except Chara, but he has to pick his game up to pick up the slack. Seids absolutely needs to be replaced.

I agree Seids is a top two and needs to be replaced, I just don't know who out there is available that can come close to what the B's lost with Dennis being out.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
can't believe some would argue that Seids is not at least a tremendous #2.

Think about what Seidenberg brings...he's a really physical shutdown guy who moves the puck and skates pretty well for a shutdown guy, can fill in on the powerplay, can play 30 minutes (!) a night when needed to in the playoffs and can go toe to toe with guys like Ovechkin and hold his own.

Now think about the guys around the league who have all those same qualities. Most guys who fit that description are number 1's for their respective teams. Seids is better than a lot of teams' number 1 guy, so on what planet can it be argued that he's just "a solid top 4 guy" and nothing more?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
can't believe some would argue that Seids is not at least a tremendous #2.

Think about what Seidenberg brings...he's a really physical shutdown guy who moves the puck and skates pretty well for a shutdown guy, can fill in on the powerplay, can play 30 minutes (!) a night when needed to in the playoffs and can go toe to toe with guys like Ovechkin and hold his own.

Now think about the guys around the league who have all those same qualities. Most guys who fit that description are number 1's for their respective teams. Seids is better than a lot of teams' number 1 guy, so on what planet can it be argued that he's just "a solid top 4 guy" and nothing more?

Agree

He`s a legit #2, heck, on some teams, he`d be the #1 guy, pretty much the reason CJ puts him with Z come playoff time IMO

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Yeah, that is very cool. Today's rehab is amazing. As long as there is no other internal injury to the knee requiring immobilization, they get these patients up and walking as quickly as possible.

Very good to hear.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
No surprise there. I tore my ACL & Meniscus and was told if not for the meniscus, they would have had me on the bike ASAP. Instead, I couldn't bend my knee for 10 days, made taking a **** pretty difficult.

Here's to a speedy recovery

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
My friend works at the garden and there was a free skate the other dajy. He said Seids looks great. Great news, it sucks being immobile. Can't speak for myself but I'm sure even more so with young kids.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
If he's already walking without crutches, there is a possibility he could be game-ready for the playoffs. I'm no doctor though, anyone been at that stage of recovery know how long it may take him to get to 100%?

member 96824

If he's already walking without crutches, there is a possibility he could be game-ready for the playoffs. I'm no doctor though, anyone been at that stage of recovery know how long it may take him to get to 100%?

I can see it now. Game 7, Stanley Cup finals at the TD Garden.

Pregame, lights go down...spotlight shines to the ceiling as Dennis Seidenberg propels down to the ice. Plants next to Chara as Kashmir plays in the background.

and we lose the game 4-3 in overtime because Dennis Seidenberg hasn't played a hockey game in 6 months.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad