Injury Report: Seidenberg to miss remainder of season with torn ACL/MCL

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Probably will take some flak, but We beat the rangers in 5 without him and I thought he played like **** in the finals. Nothing against him, but I think what we lose in toughness, we gain in speed and transition. Not overly worried about this loss.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, I didn't think he was overwhelmingly good in the playoffs either. He can log mammoth minutes and not hurt ya though, so there is always going to be some sting from losing that.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Huge loss, and hugely underestimated player. He is a rock, and the Bruins rely on him a lot. I'm going to miss his occasional big, well-timed hits on the sidewall, especially in the playoffs.

However, I will say that his lack of offensive instincts has really been noticed now that we have the likes of Krug, Bart, etc to compare with. While it is something we always knew (Seidenberg, McQuaid, etc, on the powerplay, or offensively in general... just not much there) it really stands out more now that we have defensemen that actually do have offensive skill.

This still sucks. A lot, and it worries me in regards this playoff run, unless we just accept the fact that we are going to probably both score and allow more goals than usual (with younger, but more offensively gifted defenseman).

InfernoOrangeSS

VERITAS AEQUITAS
May 22, 2006
Pelham, AL
I really hated to see this happen. I would think we will see how the young guys affect our game and go from there. If it looks like we need another Top Dman, then we can go after someone at the deadline. Not going to be cheap to get a rental.

:(

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Probably will take some flak, but We beat the rangers in 5 without him and I thought he played like **** in the finals. Nothing against him, but I think what we lose in toughness, we gain in speed and transition. Not overly worried about this loss.

Should be fine against most Eastern teams without him. As for him being crap in the final, well, we lost the final.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
big loss but the most important aspect of it is the ripple effect it will have on Chara's minutes. It's all about Chara. It's always been all about Chara. Time for Dougie to step up big time. How the hell are we going to limit 33's minutes so he's somewhat "fresh" for the playoffs?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

He had a groin strain/pull if not mistaken early in the playoffs, and everyone here, having seen what Seids brings when healthy could see, he wasn`t himself, toss in a hip flexor for Z, and that`s your top 2 shut down D-men not being nearly as mobile and effective as were used to seeing

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

Rangers had zero offense so his being out was not felt as much in my opinion. Where we need him is against the high offense type teams. I don't think Transition and speed help against guys like Crosby/Malkin as much as a guy like Side's does.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Girardi please,....
2 Welland Ont. Guys can't hurt, worked well with Danny and Horts.
Might not be realistic but we sure could use him.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Bring back Ference for the playoffs! But seriously, if Girardi is available he would be a good Seidenberg replacement. Another guy that might look good on the B's is Gleason.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
big loss but the most important aspect of it is the ripple effect it will have on Chara's minutes. It's all about Chara. It's always been all about Chara. Time for Dougie to step up big time. How the hell are we going to limit 33's minutes so he's somewhat "fresh" for the playoffs?

Yep. This is exactly the first thing I thought of. The fatigue at the end of the season really showed in the CHI series and we really, really had to find a way to get Z some breathers throughout the season. It's not just about losing Seidenberg, which is vital enough....it's now about vets needing to do some sheltering for the younger guys who will need to step up.

Glad it appears Dougie's soon to return....and the likes of Miller/Bart/Warsofsky will be helpful in the regular season....but those heavy duty Siedenberg minutes will have to be replaced for the playoff run by someone.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'd love Girardi as a replacement. I'm in the camp of thinking we need a Seidenberg type and I'd only look at UFAs. We need an impact guy but with the rest of the D core locked up through at least next season I don't think we want another contract. Plus UFAs will be a little cheaper. Would be willing to deal Bartkowski for him, would that be enough or would he command more?

Edit: Gleason is signed through 15/16 @ 4 million per. I think he'd be a great fit as well but I don't think we want a contract. If we got a contract like that or resigned Girardi I think that means we say bye to Boychuk over the summer. Could we swing:

Chara @ 7
Seids @ 4
Boychuk @ 3.5ish
Trade @ 4 - 4.5
McQuaid @ 1.6
Hamilton @ 3ish (rookie deal + bonus)
Krug @ 2.5 - 3 (resigned as RFA)

With a real Hamilton contract on the horizon?

Edit 2: More quick math. I see us up around 67/68 next year with a need to replace Iginla (or move people up ie Eriksson to the first, Smith sticks on the 2nd, kid on the third) with the current roster and we'll have to take Iginla's bonus cushion, right? Unless the LTIR money we've technically been saving with Loui and now Seids will help off set that? I forget how that whole deal works.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Dennis Seidenberg calls season-ending injury ‘disappointing’

“Very disappointing,†Seidenberg said. “It’s tough luck the way it happened, but at the end, there’s nothing I can do. It’s all about getting it fixed now and preparing for next season.â€

“It’s totally off, so they’re going to put a couple stitches in the MCL as well,†Seidenberg said. “Sometimes it heals quick, just doesn’t get back to where it was tightness-wise. So we’re going to make sure it’s nice and solid, put some stitches in.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/12/30/bruinsweb/R6VVh1S1kIdM5HNam4sJiO/story.html

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Mike Milbury says the Bruins are not a contender with Seidenberg out. And they won't be able to replace him.

Do you agree with Milbury?

“They were (a contender) before Dennis Seidenberg went down. They are no longer that,†Milbury said. “This is a weaker conference than the Western Conference. You’re not going to replace Dennis Seidenberg. It’s going to take a major trade. Nobody is going to give up a top-flight number two defenseman and insert him into the Bruins lineup just because they want to win another Cup. Not happening.â€

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/m ... up-chances

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Seidenberg is not a "top flight #2" though. He's a solid, stay at home, top 4 defenseman. That is what Chiarelli needs to add. The kid won't/can't handle the work load yet. None of them have Seidenberg's toolbox.

Chiarelli needs to move, quickly. Don't wait until the deadline.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Mike Milbury says the Bruins are not a contender with Seidenberg out. And they won't be able to replace him.

“They were (a contender) before Dennis Seidenberg went down. They are no longer that,†Milbury said. “This is a weaker conference than the Western Conference. You’re not going to replace Dennis Seidenberg. It’s going to take a major trade. Nobody is going to give up a top-flight number two defenseman and insert him into the Bruins lineup just because they want to win another Cup. Not happening.â€

What does he know. Islanders still haven't recovered from his blunders.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Seidenberg is not a "top flight #2" though. He's a solid, stay at home, top 4 defenseman. That is what Chiarelli needs to add. The kid won't/can't handle the work load yet. None of them have Seidenberg's toolbox.

If Seidenberg is not a "top flight #2", I'd be interested to know who is.

DS was often considered underrated before this latest injury. The longterm nature of this injury and the state of the B's defense without him is going to change that IMO.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

The thing is, even though the conference is weaker than the west, they'd only have to go through one western team (in the finals) to win it. So they're still contenders because right now the road is shaping up to be that they'll have to play out of their division and then likely go through Pittsburgh.

It's the NHL playoffs, so who knows?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Sides is a big loss, no ****.

Most of us like to hear ourselves talk....Mike Milbury likes it a lot more than most.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
Half true.

Still contenders as Smith points out. Very unlikely to replace what he brings. Deadline could bring more than expected and show the Bruins gluing things together to get by.

What will knock them out is if Boychuk goes down or the obvious, if Chara goes down.

Kaoz*

You keep underrating Seidenberg. The results speak for themselves. Apparently some people forget the revolving door of dmen before Seidenberg came here when Chia struggled to find that compliment to Z.

Even if Boston could replace Seids at or before the deadline with someone who could step up like he has, it takes time to mesh with this system to the point Seids has.

I agree with Milbury on this one, this is a team that needs all the pieces to fall into place to succeed and Seids has always been a huge piece. Maybe if they could get someone like Phillips asap and get him into the system they might mitigate the loss, just can't see it though.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Losing Seids obviously hurts but this is an overstatement by Milbury. They have enough depth on the blueline and enough chips to acquire another top 4 to remain the team to beat in the East.
Obviously you'd rather have him, but he's not a game breaker or even a #1 dman. He's a very good #2. Great teams can win without very good #2's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->