Seguin Vs Matthews

• Seguin

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
no we wouldn't. don't make things up with no basis to attack people personally because you can't make a smart argument. it makes you look really bad

Says "CantLoseWithMatthews". Oh please, everyone knows how Leafs fans are on here. Come back when Matthews is a PPG player in his career and puts up 70+ points consistently.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
There's a reason they say if you wanna score goals go to the front of the net. I'm not saying they count less, but it's generally easier to put a puck in a half empty net yes. Common sense

If I'm following your logic here:
A: If you want to score more, go to the front of the net
B: It is easier to score in a half empty net.

Drawing from your logic, why wouldn't any player just stand in front of the net and score more goals? Why don't 4th line plugs park themselves there and just score?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Seguin is in his prime for those next 3 years. If he plays in them the way he is playing this year then he is easily the choice here. Leafs fans will overwhelm this vote for Matthews though and it likely won't end up close due to the amount of them on here. Long term? Matthews probably. For the next 3 years? Seguin easily. I also don't trust Matthews to stay healthy

Yeah those stupid Leafs fans will definitely skew the vote, if only there was some sort of people that hated the Leafs and voted.............uhg, I guess we'll never truly know who is better!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah those stupid Leafs fans will definitely skew the vote, if only there was some sort of people that hated the Leafs and voted.............uhg, I guess we'll never truly know who is better!
we just need more neutral Dallas fans like him to tell us PK time and long distance goals are the mark of the best player

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Seguin 10 times out of 10. Tremendous player, every season. Also less injury prone. Matthews has missed too much time in his first two seasons to mr.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Looks at poll results.

Decides to read expecting total leaf fan melt down.

Thread delivers.

I think the poll results are accurate, it’s a really tough call. In the end I voted Seguin, AINEC.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Seguin has never hit 40g, and he is regarded as one of the better goal scorers in the league.
I'll take Matthews. just a better all around player and who knows what his potential is.
we pretty much know seguin is a 35g/75ptish guy, I'd guess Matthews gets to 45g/85pts next year if healthy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Seguin 10 times out of 10. Tremendous player, every season. Also less injury prone. Matthews has missed too much time in his first two seasons to mr.

last year

19 year old Matthews: 40g,69pts,+2
25 year old Seguin: 26g,72pts, -15

10 times outta 10? ha nope

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Seguin has never hit 40g, and he is regarded as one of the better goal scorers in the league.
I'll take Matthews. just a better all around player and who knows what his potential is.
we pretty much know seguin is a 35g/75ptish guy, I'd guess Matthews gets to 45g/85pts next year if healthy

Only a 5 pt difference between goals and assists?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There's a reason Seguin a lot of the time is our lone forward on a 5 on 3 penalty kill. Coaching choice is because he has confidence in Seguin and knows he is good enough defensively to be relied on in the final minutes of a game, a full 2 minute 5 on 3, or any penalty kill for that matter. He has saved a countless number of sure goals for us this year, and that's not an exaggeration. You think Hitchcock, a heavily defensively minded coach, would put someone out there who isn't good defensively? Lol there's a reason Spezza doesn't kill penalties for us. Does Babcock put players who aren't good defensively out there on the PK? Or does he not base it off of ability?

he doesnt put any of his top offensive guys on the PK, no questions asked.
leafs have a very good pk consisting of Hyman,Komarov,Kapanen and Plekanek.
Matthews not being on the PK is not an indication of his 2 way ability.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
he doesnt put any of his top offensive guys on the PK, no questions asked.
leafs have a very good pk consisting of Hyman,Komarov,Kapanen and Plekanek.
Matthews not being on the PK is not an indication of his 2 way ability.
As of today the Leafs rank 10th on the PK and that's where they finished last year. So they are doing fine without Matthews having to play on it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
For the next 3 years? Majority of GMs would take Seguin, the better player. You Leafs fans need to chill over Matthews lol he scores most of his goals the same way JVR does yet you hate on him half the time. When a player is heavily relied on on his team, he will usually put up more points or goals than expected, but it doesnt mean all of a sudden they're god-like and better than Seguin or other players who have been consistently good for many years now. Look at MacKinnon and Hall this year as examples. Doing much better than they typically would because they're having to carry their teams.

I think you have lost track of the original question.

Ok so Seguin is the better player despite the stats showing Matthews is better defensively and their offense is almost identical. Hmmm.

Let's say Seguin is better because he is more proven, which seems to be the only reason to think that but whatever...

So the 2nd year player is unlikely to improve in the next 3 years to be better?

It's kind of like picking stocks One opened low and eventually leveled off at a dollar after a few years and seems set until decline, the other opened higher, met the others level point in his 2nd year and has peaked?

Only on HF would people have these opinions and take themselves seriously. No logical person would conclude based on the current evidence that Matthews will not be the superior player within that 3 year window if he isn't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad