• Seguin

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Ron Hainsey plays the most PK minutes in the league. If PK time is indicative of defensive ability, then we'd love to ship Hainsey out for that Klingberg bum. After all, he plays the least PK minutes out of any of the regular Dallas defensemen. Don't worry, we'll add a 2nd or something.

OR, or, PK means not a whole lot and coaches would sometimes like to save their best players for other stuff that's not throwing their bodies in front of slapshots. Leafs and Stars both have 4 SHG this year, so the offensive capabilities difference between Seguin and Hyman isn't making much of a difference. It's a coaching choice that is easily explained. Good for Seguin, but that's it.

I wasn't declaring that because Seguin plays a lot of PK that he is therefore a good defensive player. That was just a statement of the condition of Stars' penalty kill and where it is this year. And also that Seguin is a big part of that PK success with his faceoff skills, speed and developed defensive awareness. He isn't good defensively because he plays PK, he plays on the PK because he is good defensively.

Seguin is Stars' best player and is also used on the PK, just facts. And the coaching choice is that Seguin has been the Stars' second best player in their own zone after Faksa.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Seguin is the better hockey player, so choice is pretty easy without Leaf goggles on.
Seguin can't wear Matthews' jock strap. Get a f***ing grip. Matthews had 40 goals in his D+1 rookie year. Seguin had 11 goals in a similar situation. This is Seguin's 8th year and he still hasn't scored 40 yet (albeit he probably will this year barring an injury).

Reactions: LeafsNation75

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
for the next 3 seasons Matthews. His upwards trajectory might have him eventually surpass Seguin's peak year(s) in one of those years

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Well the Stars have a top 5 PK and Seguin is a big part of that success. Btw Leafs are #9.
Two bad games probably dropped them. Anyways the point was that their PK was doing good without our 3 star kids on it. No need for them to go on the PK just so we can boast about it on HF.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Matthews is far and away the Leafs best offensive player. It's not even close. Look at Seguin on the Stars: him Radulov, and Benn are all close, with Seguin leading the way.

How is this even close? 1) Matthews destroys Seguin 5v5; 2) Seguin has never scored 40 goals 3) Matthews is by far Toronto best offensive player, Benn and Radulov are close to Seguin; 4) Seguin plays with better players 5v5 compared to Matthews. Need I go on? Jeez this site is exhausting. No GM in the world would prefer Seguin to Matthews.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Seguin can't wear Matthews' jock strap. Get a ****ing grip. Matthews had 40 goals in his D+1 rookie year. Seguin had 11 goals in a similar situation. This is Seguin's 8th year and he still hasn't scored 40 yet (albeit he probably will this year barring an injury).

Lol Seguin did not immediately jump into a #1C roll on Boston. Toronto had nothing that's why Matthews was so heavily relied on at center.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Two bad games probably dropped them. Anyways the point was that their PK was doing good without our 3 star kids on it. No need for them to go on the PK just so we can boast about it on HF.
It's one thing if Matthews blocks a shot towards the end of the game if he's on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead. However it's another thing if Babcock has him out on the penalty kill where it's a given that he needs to do that. I rather see him not risk getting hurt again blocking a shot if he does not need to.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Matthews is far and away the Leafs best offensive player. It's not even close. Look at Seguin on the Stars: him Radulov, and Benn are all close, with Seguin leading the way.

How is this even close? 1) Matthews destroys Seguin 5v5; 2) Seguin has never scored 40 goals 3) Matthews is by far Toronto best offensive player, Benn and Radulov are close to Seguin; 4) Seguin plays with better players 5v5 compared to Matthews. Need I go on? Jeez this site is exhausting. No GM in the world would prefer Seguin to Matthews.

For the next 3 years? Majority of GMs would take Seguin, the better player. You Leafs fans need to chill over Matthews lol he scores most of his goals the same way JVR does yet you hate on him half the time. When a player is heavily relied on on his team, he will usually put up more points or goals than expected, but it doesnt mean all of a sudden they're god-like and better than Seguin or other players who have been consistently good for many years now. Look at MacKinnon and Hall this year as examples. Doing much better than they typically would because they're having to carry their teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For the next 3 years? Majority of GMs would take Seguin, the better player. You Leafs fans need to chill over Matthews lol he scores most of his goals the same way JVR does yet you hate on him half the time. When a player is heavily relied on on his team, he will usually put up more points or goals than expected, but it doesnt mean all of a sudden they're god-like and better than Seguin or other players who have been consistently good for many years now. Look at MacKinnon and Hall this year as examples. Doing much better than they typically would because they're having to carry their teams.
Matthews shots the puck a lot more than JVR and scores the majority of his goals that way. The fact he stands in front of the net for some rebound or deflected goals is a bonus. So I suggest watching some Leafs games when Matthews is healthy for you to see that and not make any assumptions.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Matthews shots the puck a lot more than JVR and scores the majority of his goals that way. The fact he stands in front of the net for some rebound or deflected goals is a bonus. So I suggest watching some Leafs games when Matthews is healthy for you to see that and not make any assumptions.

Actually I watched something better, every goal of his from last season and this season. Pretty sure he already has more goals from shooting the puck in this net this season though than he did all of last season. Not as many tap-ins but still.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Lol Seguin did not immediately jump into a #1C roll on Boston. Toronto had nothing that's why Matthews was so heavily relied on at center.
Nazem Kadri scored 30 goals last year. Tyler Bozak scored 50 points last year. The Leafs had a whole lot more than nothing down the middle. Matthews was the #1C because he was the best of the bunch.

And I wasn't aware that tap ins counted for less. Maybe you should be the one to tell Brett Hull.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

In what world is Tyler Seguin (who has never score 40 goals, yet Matthews did it his rookie year) better than Matthews? Did Matthews really carry the Leafs? And are you seriously arguing that Matthews scores too close to the net? Who cares where you score, as long as the puck goes in the net.

Tyler Seguin is a solid player and has been for years now. But he isn't currently better than Matthews. Matthews scores more goals, with less PP time, and with lesser linemates.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nazem Kadri scored 30 goals last year. Tyler Bozak scored 50 points last year. The Leafs had a whole lot more than nothing down the middle. Matthews was the #1C because he was the best of the bunch.

And I wasn't aware that tap ins counted for less. Maybe you should be the one to tell Brett Hull.

Oh I wasn't saying they count for less, I'm saying it's an easy way to get more goals that Seguin does not do which is why he doesn't have as many. Majority of his shots and goals come from distance. I don't see Matthews scoring 40 consistently if he isn't right up around that net. But hey, every player has a different play style or a different coaching style and it's a smart way to get easy goals to help your team win.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

And are you seriously arguing that Matthews scores too close to the net? Who cares where you score, as long as the puck goes in the net.
I always think of that as anti Leafs logic on HF because when their players do that it's wrong, however when players from other teams do that it's a great thing.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In what world is Tyler Seguin (who has never score 40 goals, yet Matthews did it his rookie year) better than Matthews? Did Matthews really carry the Leafs? And are you seriously arguing that Matthews scores too close to the net? Who cares where you score, as long as the puck goes in the net.

Tyler Seguin is a solid player and has been for years now. But he isn't currently better than Matthews. Matthews scores more goals, with less PP time, and with lesser linemates.

Do you guys ever look at anything other than goals? Do goals determine if a player is better than another? Lol Ovi is the best player in the league I guess. Has been for many years even better than Crosby according to all of you.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Do you guys ever look at anything other than goals? Do goals determine if a player is better than another? Lol Ovi is the best player in the league I guess. Has been for many years even better than Crosby according to all of you.
How many rookie centers in the past 30 years scored 40 goals? Seguin wasn't entrusted as a center until when? Matthews centered the top line of a playoff team in his draft+1 season. How many other player can also say that?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Oh I wasn't saying they count for less, I'm saying it's an easy way to get more goals that Seguin does not do which is why he doesn't have as many. Majority of his shots and goals come from distance. I don't see Matthews scoring 40 consistently if he isn't right up around that net. But hey, every player has a different play style or a different coaching style and it's a smart way to get easy goals to help your team win.

An easy way to get more goals? An... easy... way...? Why aren't they all doing it then? What an odd statement. Matthews scores 40 goals and more than Seguin because he is better around the net. Corey Perry won a Hart trophy for standing in front of the net. Easy goals lol. Have a nice day.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How many rookie centers in the past 30 years scored 40 goals? Seguin wasn't entrusted as a center until when? Matthews centered the top line of a playoff team in his draft+1 season. How many other player can also say that?
Since 1997 the only #1 picks to play in the playoffs during their Draft+1 season was Joe Thornton and Nathan Mackinnon and Auston Matthews.

Now I realize that Thornton was not the player we all know he is today and I don't think Mackinnon was on the Avalanche #1 line at that time. However regardless of that it shows how small that list is.

As for rookie centres to score 40 goals, in his rookie season Sidney Crosby scored 39 goals and no I'm not comparing Matthews to him. Just stating for a fact that Matthews happen to score 1 more goal than Crosby did in his rookie season.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
this is extremely dumb. Is Seguin purposely not trying to score easy goals because it's beneath him or something?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Did Matthews have Patrice Bergeron on his team when he first came into the NHL? hmm there's a reason Seguin wasn't the #1C lol.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
this is extremely dumb. Is Seguin purposely not trying to score easy goals because it's beneath him or something?
Nope, just not his playing style. I just realized I'm wasting my time arguing with people who literally have Matthews in their name lol who am I kidding you guys would take Matthews over anyone, and I mean anyone, in the entire NHL. It's just how you guys are. I'm done here too many Leafs and Matthews fans to make any difference. You guys would take him over McDavid, Crosby, or anyone else in a heartbeat whether you admit it or not. The obsession is real

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Easy goals? In the NHL?

And have you seen his release? Off the rush, in stride? He scores a lot because he can score in so many ways.

Not sure where people come up with this crap?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Easy goals? In the NHL?

And have you seen his release? Off the rush, in stride? He scores a lot because he can score in so many ways.

Not sure where people come up with this crap?

There's a reason they say if you wanna score goals go to the front of the net. I'm not saying they count less, but it's generally easier to put a puck in a half empty net yes. Common sense

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nope, just not his playing style. I just realized I'm wasting my time arguing with people who literally have Matthews in their name lol who am I kidding you guys would take Matthews over anyone, and I mean anyone, in the entire NHL. It's just how you guys are. I'm done here too many Leafs and Matthews fans to make any difference. You guys would take him over McDavid, Crosby, or anyone else in a heartbeat whether you admit it or not. The obsession is real
no we wouldn't. It says a lot about you that you'd rather make things up to discredit people personally than actually make a smart argument for once. Sorry that your player isn't as good as Matthews, but that doesn't mean we're all obsessed

Seguin must be a very low IQ player if he deliberately avoids scoring easy goals so he can focus on making highlight reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad