Seguin Vs Matthews

• Seguin

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
no, but that's a coaching choice more than an indication of ability. Talk about misleading

There's a reason Seguin a lot of the time is our lone forward on a 5 on 3 penalty kill. Coaching choice is because he has confidence in Seguin and knows he is good enough defensively to be relied on in the final minutes of a game, a full 2 minute 5 on 3, or any penalty kill for that matter. He has saved a countless number of sure goals for us this year, and that's not an exaggeration. You think Hitchcock, a heavily defensively minded coach, would put someone out there who isn't good defensively? Lol there's a reason Spezza doesn't kill penalties for us. Does Babcock put players who aren't good defensively out there on the PK? Or does he not base it off of ability?

Reactions: 278 others

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There's a reason Seguin a lot of the time is our lone forward on a 5 on 3 penalty kill. Coaching choice is because he has confidence in Seguin and knows he is good enough defensively to be relied on in the final minutes of a game, a full 2 minute 5 on 3, or any penalty kill for that matter. He has saved a countless number of sure goals for us this year, and that's not an exaggeration. You think Hitchcock, a heavily defensively minded coach, would put someone out there who isn't good defensively? Lol there's a reason Spezza doesn't kill penalties for us
there's also a reason Babcock wants Hyman and Brown out there to block shots rather than our best offensive player. Babcock trusts Matthews to hold a lead in the dying minutes of a game, he just doesn't really want him to throw his body in shooting lanes on the PK. Matthews is 2nd in the league in defensive zone faceoff % and has pretty good results defensively

Reactions: Menzinger

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
No but if he spent more time right in front of the net like Matthews deflecting pucks or tapping them into a basically empty net I'm sure he would. He's more of a shooter from distance. Benn/Radulov deal with the loose pucks down low. Come back when Matthews kills penalties. Until then his 2-way game isn't on the same level

If im not mistaken, Seguin started killing penalties this year at age 26, Matthews is 20, and Babcock has a different approach to the PK than most

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Voted Matthews, but Seguin could potentially change my opinion if he can start producing in the playoffs (seems to be a choke artist in that regard).

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Okay maybe. I don't watch Dallas games. I also honestly could care less about two way play. He's a center, and an offensive oriented one, and I find his offensive output very underwhelming (especially this season with so many forwards scoring so much, I would have expected him to be one of those).

I pick Matthews based on that
I'm sorry but huh? He has a PPG avg of .98 over the last 5 years even with his off season last year where he still scored 26 goals and had 72 points in 82 games. How is that even remotely "Underwhelming"?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm going to say Leafs fans would go with Matthews and Stars fans would go with Seguin.

So I guess if your not a fan of either team who do you choose?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
3 seasons makes it close for Seguin. If Matthews is anywhere near the beast he was last season in the playoffs especially if the Leafs end up beating someone like the Bruins and Matthews edges out Bergeron then you could realistically make a case for him

Uh, he was quite good but 5 points/4 goals in 6 games absolutely does not qualify as "beast."

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They literally have the same PPG with Seguin having larger sample-size. If you couldn't care less (still amazes me how often native speakers get the phrase wrong) about two way play, what's the rationale of picking Matthews first?

Just that Matthews is younger and still getting better. I feel as though Seguin has/is peaking, and i'm disappointed because i thought his peak would be a bit better

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Matthews for sure. not only he's better offensively but miles better defensively.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Leafs have a top 3 PK last I checked. I don't think they need Matthews to kill penalties. The role players are doing just fine.

Well the Stars have a top 5 PK and Seguin is a big part of that success. Btw Leafs are #9.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Well the Stars have a top 5 PK and Seguin is a big part of that success. Btw Leafs are #9.

Ron Hainsey plays the most PK minutes in the league. If PK time is indicative of defensive ability, then we'd love to ship Hainsey out for that Klingberg bum. After all, he plays the least PK minutes out of any of the regular Dallas defensemen. Don't worry, we'll add a 2nd or something.

OR, or, PK means not a whole lot and coaches would sometimes like to save their best players for other stuff that's not throwing their bodies in front of slapshots. Leafs and Stars both have 4 SHG this year, so the offensive capabilities difference between Seguin and Hyman isn't making much of a difference. It's a coaching choice that is easily explained. Good for Seguin, but that's it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Seguin is the better hockey player, so choice is pretty easy without Leaf goggles on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad