GDT: Seattle Kraken Free Agent Frenzy Discussion

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
So Seattle is being guaranteed an NBA team? You know this because???? This is what it sounds like you are saying.

I am saying nothing is certain, if you somehow know for fact that that is incorrect, please post your information, if you don't know for fact, then why are you attacking my position that the decision is undecided at this time?

Your post makes zero sense.

Why I believe it is relevant that the NBA is undecided is because of the interviews Leiweke gave where he flatly said that he wants the Kraken to be competitive to show the NBA how great the area's fans are and that securing the NBA expansion was the number one goal of the ownership group. That is not reading into anything, that is taking the owner directly at his words.

As far as creating doomsday scenario, how did you get that from my post? All I said is that we do not know if Seattle will get an NBA expansion in 2025, and it was not guaranteed. Hell, the league may not expand for a decade if the economy tanks - anything is possible.

*If* Seattle were guaranteed the NBA expansion then there would be no talk from ownership about how they want to convince the league that Seattle is the best choice. This is why I do not believe there is some pre-arranged agreement and why I think ownership is pushing Francis to build the team a bit different than he had originally planned (his expansion told one story, his moves this past year seem to be facilitating a different plan). I believe next year we will see a commitment to winning in the present, which is not the slow build mentality Francis is known for, but we shall see.
I think financially Seattle is almost guaranteed given market size etc. It's also a wealthy market with a good arena. Other than Vegas I don't see who else is in front of the queue. Ironically Oklahoma needs a new arena now and are getting a gun to their head by the league since they are one of the smallest markets. A few analysts are saying why not just move them back to Seattle if Oklahoma can't get the new arena built. Would help a little with continuity.

Reactions: Hocktopus and Irie

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
What does any of this have to do with NHL free agency?

Well @The Marquis is a big Kamloops Blazers fan and hopse some of them make it to the NHL? :sarcasm:

Overall I've tried to move my discussion with @Irie to another thread but it's offseason and besides waiting on Dunn, without any informations by the "insiders", there's nothing happening for Kraken fans to talk about.

• Haha
Reactions: The Marquis

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I’ve heard he needs to improve his edge work.

giphy.gif

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Nosek signs with NJ for 1 year / $1mil? GMRF really thought Bellemare was a better option than that? Hell, why not both? Not loving this one…

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Nosek has more left in the tank than Bellemare. Don't expect any offense but if you want to get out of the dzone safely he's your guy.

Kind of surprised Boston didn't bring him back for that price either. Maybe that's a sign his initial ask was higher but nobody bit on it.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Nosek has more left in the tank than Bellemare. Don't expect any offense but if you want to get out of the dzone safely he's your guy.

Kind of surprised Boston didn't bring him back for that price either. Maybe that's a sign his initial ask was higher but nobody bit on it.

Exactly this. More in the tank and flat out just better at the job they’re wanting done by that role. “Bellemare is good enough” is a weird hill to plant your flag when Nosek is objectively better by every metric.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
so you want another 2022 situation then where wright can't get barely any significant mins just cause we signed a better 4c?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
so you want another 2022 situation then where wright can't get barely any significant mins just cause we signed a better 4c?
Wright shouldnt be playing on the 4th line. That line is going to eat a ton of dzone starts and slot in against other "grind" lines. That's not how you develop Wright, he needs more sheltering than that.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Nosek signs with NJ for 1 year / $1mil? GMRF really thought Bellemare was a better option than that? Hell, why not both? Not loving this one…
I wanted Nosek over Bellemare too, but it's not a big deal. Hopefully Wright can make the team and Bellemare's the 13th forward.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I'm guessing Nosek's initial contract demands were higher in both term and money, and he settled for a lot less than he wanted. Meanwhile, Francis found a player that'll sign a one year deal.

In hindsight, the Nosek deal looks better, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have signed that contract 2 weeks ago. You gotta figure he was looking for something similar to his Boston deal at $1.75M x 2 years.

If you wait too long for bargain shopping, sometimes you don't get anything. Not gonna make a big deal out of a 4th line center on a one year deal.

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Honestly can’t believe Nosek has had this much discussion on this board. It’s fine, but it’s amusing to me. That’s sort of what I’m growing to love about it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wright shouldnt be playing on the 4th line. That line is going to eat a ton of dzone starts and slot in against other "grind" lines. That's not how you develop Wright, he needs more sheltering than that.

and that's the problem when you have such a STRONG top 9 where shoving wright higher up may not necessary produce the desire results among the other lines. A tolvy gourde bjorkstrand is better than a gourde-wennberg-bjorkstrand. A tolvy gourde bjorkstrand is better than a gourde wright bjorkstrand

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Not a lot of "grind" lines left in the NHL. The 4th line is usually where young players break into the league and learn the NHL day-to-day life until opportunities arise. On a depth-based team like Seattle, that line is 3B.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Not a lot of "grind" lines left in the NHL. The 4th line is usually where young players break into the league and learn the NHL day-to-day life until opportunities arise. On a depth-based team like Seattle, that line is 3B.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Stutzle never spent a single second on Ottawas 4th line. Neither has Lafreniere, Kakko, Hughes or Zegras for their respective teams.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Stutzle never spent a single second on Ottawas 4th line. Neither has Lafreniere, Kakko, Hughes or Zegras for their respective teams.

the reason why those players played higher up on the chart cause well the teams weren't that great to start with at the time.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Honestly can’t believe Nosek has had this much discussion on this board. It’s fine, but it’s amusing to me. That’s sort of what I’m growing to love about it.
I mentioned his name at the start of free agency. It's because the team only needed 4th liners and 3rd pair D.

I'd rather be arguing about goalies, but Grubauer's contract pretty much locks him in. Discussions will be a lot more interesting next season and beyond as contracts expire.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
the reason why those players played higher up on the chart cause well the teams weren't that great to start with at the time.
That’s your subjective opinion. Can you name me a top 5 draft pick who developed into a top 6 player who began their career on the teams 4th line?

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
The old "energy line" is pretty much dead, but I would say a lot of team use their 4th line as a defensive line. Instead of the old checking line, they're a "bad minutes" line - dzone starts and PK guys.
The talented kids often start on a sheltered third offensive line, but last year the Kraken were so deep at forward that the 4th line had that role. It'll be interesting to see if Hakstol changes his usage with the changes at the bottom of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad