GDT: Seattle Kraken Free Agent Frenzy Discussion

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The old "energy line" is pretty much dead, but I would say a lot of team use their 4th line as a defensive line. Instead of the old checking line, they're a "bad minutes" line - dzone starts and PK guys.
The talented kids often start on a sheltered third offensive line, but last year the Kraken were so deep at forward that the 4th line had that role. It'll be interesting to see if Hakstol changes his usage with the changes at the bottom of the lineup.

Wright probably breaks in on a sheltered offensive third line type unit, we'll just have to make sure they get more minutes than last year's 4th did. That might be tough for Hak to do.

I could see them potentially mixing Wennberg and Wright's roles, so they'd split the winger group of Schwartz, Bura, Tanev, Yama, where Wenny takes the harder matchups but much less minutes than he had last year. We don't want to touch the Gourde or Beniers lines.

Reactions: rsteen

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Wright probably breaks in on a sheltered offensive third line type unit, we'll just have to make sure they get more minutes than last year's 4th did. That might be tough for Hak to do.

I could see them potentially mixing Wennberg and Wright's roles, so they'd split the winger group of Schwartz, Bura, Tanev, Yama, where Wenny takes the harder matchups but much less minutes than he had last year. We don't want to touch the Gourde or Beniers lines.
I think it comes down to where Wright is allowed to play. If they are allowed to send him to the AHL (looks doubtful) I think they do that. He could use the development at that level and can bring him up easy if there are injuries or he takes a big step vs AHL competition. If they have to send him to the OHL I think they find a way to keep him in Seattle instead and rotate him into the lineup on the 2nd line depending on matchups then hope he's a fixture by the end of the season.

Ideally, we want him to show he can take over for Wennberg by next offseason. It really simplifies things next year if he can.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think it comes down to where Wright is allowed to play. If they are allowed to send him to the AHL (looks doubtful) I think they do that. He could use the development at that level and can bring him up easy if there are injuries or he takes a big step vs AHL competition. If they have to send him to the OHL I think they find a way to keep him in Seattle instead and rotate him into the lineup on the 2nd line depending on matchups then hope he's a fixture by the end of the season.

Ideally, we want him to show he can take over for Wennberg by next offseason. It really simplifies things next year if he can.
I am pretty sure he won't be getting Wennberg's minutes next season if he plays in juniors. If AHL is not an option, I really don't know what the best choice here is. Forcing him into the NHL could cause more harm than good.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
The old "energy line" is pretty much dead, but I would say a lot of team use their 4th line as a defensive line. Instead of the old checking line, they're a "bad minutes" line - dzone starts and PK guys.
The talented kids often start on a sheltered third offensive line, but last year the Kraken were so deep at forward that the 4th line had that role. It'll be interesting to see if Hakstol changes his usage with the changes at the bottom of the lineup.
They're no less deep at forward this year, pretty much the whole group is back. Geekie, Spong and Donato are replaced by Bellemare, Yamamoto, Kartye, and Wright. Burakovsky is starting the year healthy.

Ideally Wright plays in the AHL, but I'd rather he play on the 4th line than go back to the OHL at this point. He can learn a lot from being around pros in a winning atmosphere, playing games at the top level. He'll have decent linemates from the start and opportunities will come.

McCann - Beniers - Eberle
Schwartz - Wennberg - Burakovsky
Tolvanen - Gourde - Bjorkstrand
Kartye - Wright - Tanev
(Bellemare, Yamamoto)

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
They're no less deep at forward this year, pretty much the whole group is back. Geekie, Spong and Donato are replaced by Bellemare, Yamamoto, Kartye, and Wright. Burakovsky is starting the year healthy.
If the kids pan out they'll be just as deep, but you've got Kartye and Wright with 18 NHL games between them, and Bellemare who's old enough to be Wright's dad almost. A healthy Bura will be a boost I agree.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Great deal for the team. You really can't argue that we can't pay Dunn in the next four years. The team doesn't have much high end talent to pay. And this let's us avoid the back end risk if he falls off. I'm a bit surprised Dunn went for four years, I like that he's betting on himself but players in his position usually don't take mid term like this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I am pretty sure he won't be getting Wennberg's minutes next season if he plays in juniors. If AHL is not an option, I really don't know what the best choice here is. Forcing him into the NHL could cause more harm than good.

I've never been super bullish on Wright but I think we're maybe too worried about him. The club did well when he was on the ice last year.

Give him 13 sheltered minutes a game with a couple good wingers, and I think it would go fine. Something like Tanev-Wright-Burakovsky, while Wennberg can roll with some combination of Schwartz, Kartye, and Yamamoto. Schwartz would have been the prefect player for Wright to start with but judging by his regular season play last year I think he might be too far past his prime now, he would be a drag based on how he played last year.

We're blessed to have both Wennberg and Gourde capable of eating up hard minutes to free up easy matchups and offensive zone starts for the young centers. And we should be excited to have Shane on the PP, he can be an upgrade for us there maybe as soon as this year.

I strongly lean towards starting Wright in the NHL if he isn't AHL eligible, you can always change things up later if need be. An AHL conditioning stint and/or an OHL assignment would be ok as fallbacks. I don't think bouncing around between leagues is bad for development either.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Interesting deal, definitely not the agreement I anticipated after waiting this long in the process. Wish I was a fly on the wall during their various discussions to see where both sides came in, that this was the “middle ground” they landed upon.

Still, no real complaints. Excited to see him pick up where he left off last season!

Reactions: majormajor

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Not sure I like the idea of giving minutes to Wright instead of Wennberg which seem to be what you're proposing? Wennberg is a valuable player and a great passer,skater and stickhandler to go with high defensive awareness and play...whereas Wright is not anything as of right now

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I've never been super bullish on Wright but I think we're maybe too worried about him. The club did well when he was on the ice last year.

Give him 13 sheltered minutes a game with a couple good wingers, and I think it would go fine. Something like Tanev-Wright-Burakovsky, while Wennberg can roll with some combination of Schwartz, Kartye, and Yamamoto. Schwartz would have been the prefect player for Wright to start with but judging by his regular season play last year I think he might be too far past his prime now, he would be a drag based on how he played last year.

We're blessed to have both Wennberg and Gourde capable of eating up hard minutes to free up easy matchups and offensive zone starts for the young centers. And we should be excited to have Shane on the PP, he can be an upgrade for us there maybe as soon as this year.

I strongly lean towards starting Wright in the NHL if he isn't AHL eligible, you can always change things up later if need be. An AHL conditioning stint and/or an OHL assignment would be ok as fallbacks. I don't think bouncing around between leagues is bad for development either.
If Wright's not ready sure would like to be able to send him to Sweden for a one year stint where he plays heavy minutes in all roles and then comes back stronger,wiser and more ready than playing 4th line minutes split between himself and Bellemare

Ideally Wright plays in the AHL, but I'd rather he play on the 4th line than go back to the OHL at this point. He can learn a lot from being around pros in a winning atmosphere, playing games at the top level. He'll have decent linemates from the start and opportunities will come.

McCann - Beniers - Eberle
Schwartz - Wennberg - Burakovsky
Tolvanen - Gourde - Bjorkstrand
Kartye - Wright - Tanev
(Bellemare, Yamamoto)
Like your line up

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I don't see how anyone could not like that Dunn contract. I was worried with the types of deals Nurse and Sergachev got and the cap increasing that this one might be 8+M with at least 6 years.

7.35AAV is great for what he brings. I have no reason to believe his offence will regress much over the next 4 years. He is in his prime, he has newfound confidence that he can play at this level. There are also no current threats in the organization for his role. He's the guy for at least a couple seasons.

Even if, for some reason, things go south for him in say year 2, it's only a 4 year deal.

This is really the best case scenario for the Kraken.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure I like the idea of giving minutes to Wright instead of Wennberg which seem to be what you're proposing? Wennberg is a valuable player and a great passer,skater and stickhandler to go with high defensive awareness and play...whereas Wright is not anything as of right now

I'm fine with a little learning on the job, as long as he isn't getting caved in, in which case we'd send him down. I might have a different attitude if the club was really going for it but they seem to be taking a patient approach with their moves.

If Wright's not ready sure would like to be able to send him to Sweden for a one year stint where he plays heavy minutes in all roles and then comes back stronger,wiser and more ready than playing 4th line minutes split between himself and Bellemare

I think we've covered this and the OHL would have to sign off on him going to Sweden, they still own his rights if he's not in the NHL. All other leagues are excluded, not just AHL.

Reactions: rsteen

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems like that talk about Erik Karlsson having turned down the Kraken and only Carolina and Pittsburgh being in it isn't all that true.

According to Karlsson he has spoken to Carolina, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Seattle and didn't say anything about where he wanted to go.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Seems like that talk about Erik Karlsson having turned down the Kraken and only Carolina and Pittsburgh being in it isn't all that true.

According to Karlsson he has spoken to Carolina, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Seattle and didn't say anything about where he wanted to go.
It is probably still a long shot, but having EK and Dunn as the defensemen on the PP would be amazing!

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
I don't know who we would move out even to entertain EK on the roster. With less than 1M in available cap space, its going to take more than just moving Driedger.
True tat! Even having Schultz as part of any EK trade (provided that SJ is not on Schultz's 10 team no trade list) only frees up $3 million, so the Sharks would have to eat a lot of Karlsson's salary and / or take on several contracts just to make it work cap wise

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That’s your subjective opinion. Can you name me a top 5 draft pick who developed into a top 6 player who began their career on the teams 4th line?

It often has more to do with team depth than anything else. Not a lot of top 5 pick drafted forwards in general, and usually teams drafting top 5 have crap for depth for a couple of years after drafting that high, so the young talented forwards are often thrown into top 6 roles.

Teams with good depth though will often ease their top 5 forwards into the lineup with 4th line spot duty. Guys like Marleau, Seguin, Ladd, Johansen all started there, just a few off the top of my head.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara

EK65 in Seattle would be fun.

Reactions: Hocktopus

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Citing examples from pre-2000 through 2012 isn’t really doing much to budge me from my opinion that it does absolutely nothing to develop Wright on the Kraken’s 4th line alongside Tanev, Bellemare and Yamamoto.

They’d be better off working a “loan” agreement with a top European league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad