Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
This is the pretty logical way. Assuming you don’t work something out with Iafallo.

I would love it if they could work out some trick where they don't have to sign Iafallo and then Seattle doesn't claim him because he's UFA etc etc etc

I just cannot imagine something like that actually playing out. Maybe I'm wrong but do we have any examples from history of guys doing something like that?

If I was Iafallo (or more importantly his agent) I wouldn't rely on the team to make good on it's promise. If I wanted a new contract and wanted to feel like the franchise was invested in me I'd insist on a contract and protected status.

EDIT : Too many teams (the Kings included) have worked out deals with guys on stuff like no trade clauses and then traded them just before the clause kicked in. This isn't exactly the same thing but as I said I wouldn't trust some back room deal. If Seattle DID claim Iafallo even as a UFA, it gives them a week to throw money and love at him.

If you value the player you don't play games like that to me. You give him his contract and take your lumps losing a player further down the depth chart.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Oh nice. The cup is ours! Brown is leading our team in goals. He is a physical presence on wing. I think it'd be wise of Blake to retain Brown.

Kopitar, Kempe, Brown, Carter, Iafallo, JAD, Grundstrom.

Doughty, Roy, Walker.

Peterson.

You don't need to protect JAD either.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Damn ok.

Kopitar, Kempe, Brown, Carter, Iafallo, AA, Grundstrom.

Doughty, Roy, Walker.

Peterson.

AA is a free agent. Same boat as iafallo, but it will be interesting to see if he even gets a contract or if he’s traded at the deadline.

You want to get rid of Clague?

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
AA is a free agent. Same boat as iafallo, but it will be interesting to see if he even gets a contract or if he’s traded at the deadline.

You want to get rid of Clague?
I see the forwards as more important to keep than Clague. We're thin at wing. Kaliyev, Madden, and the others are not a sure bet at wing. Not even Turcotte or Byfield are a sure hit at center. I think we should hold on to as many forwards as we can.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I see the forwards as more important to keep than Clague. We're thin at wing. Kaliyev, Madden, and the others are not a sure bet at wing. Not even Turcotte or Byfield are a sure hit at center. I think we should hold on to as many forwards as we can.

Why Carter and Brown? Zero chance Sea takes them given their age. It’s like having two free slots.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Why Carter and Brown? Zero chance Sea takes them given their age. It’s like having two free slots.
Brown is having a great year and is one of our only physical forwards. And Carter is a veteran, fast and has a shot. I think it's important to hold onto these players. Not that keeping Clague is a bad thing. My second option would be:

Kopitar, Kempe, Carter, Brown.

Doughty, Roy, Walker, Clague.

Peterson.

But I think holding onto more forwards is more important.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
At the end of the day, why do we need to protect both guys in their mid-30s? Would it really hurt us if Seattle does end up picking one of Brown or Carter with only one year left on their contract? I mean I would hate it if Seattle does pick one of them, but that's how these expansion draft rules work and at the end of the day, the team has to move forward without Carter or Brown anyway at some point like they have with Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBrown

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
At the end of the day, why do we need to protect both guys in their mid-30s? Would it really hurt us if Seattle does end up picking one of Brown or Carter with only one year left on their contract? I mean I would hate it if Seattle does pick one of them, but that's how these expansion draft rules work and at the end of the day, the team has to move forward without Carter or Brown anyway at some point like they have with Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez, etc.

There's a zero percent chance we protect Carter and Brown.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I would like to see Brown retire a king so I hope Seattle doesn't select him. I don't see Carter being protected.

I would go with 8 skaters. Sign Iafallo in the offseason after the draft.

Kopitar
Kempe/Iafallo/Grundstom - pick 2

Doughty
Roy
Walker
Clague
Strand

Petersen

The defense has had issues ever since Voynov. If it were so easy to develop a good defenseman, the kings would have done it sooner over the 6 years since Voynov lost his mind.

The Kings are also forward heavy in the prospect pool - numerous guys are just about ready.. NHL ready defensemen, not so much. That's why I'm protecting defense.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Why would Seattle take players in their mid 30s who could retire any minute. It’s not like they were superstars in their primes that you could hope boost ticket sales. I’d hate if Seattle picked Brown, just because I want him to retire a King, but I’d laugh hysterically if they picked Carter.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Why would Seattle take players in their mid 30s who could retire any minute. It’s not like they were superstars in their primes that you could hope boost ticket sales. I’d hate if Seattle picked Brown, just because I want him to retire a King, but I’d laugh hysterically if they picked Carter.
If Seattle picked Brown it would be to flip him somewhere else. The risk of course is he could simply retire. Same with Carter. I could see the Kings moving Carter at the deadline if they are well out of a playoff spot.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Hopefully Maatta, Lizotte, and Athanasiou can continue to play well and Seattle wants one of them.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
So much can change between now and the draft, but if we really want to keep our D core intact we can go with:

Protected Defensmen:
Doughty-Roy-Walker-Strand-Clague

Exposed(possible selections):
Maatta
MacDermid
Moverare

Possible D lineup next year:
Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Clague - Walker
Strand\Maatta

Protected Forwards:
Kopitar-Kempe-Grundstrom (Hoping that Iafallo signs with us after the expansion draft)

Brown
Carter
Lizotte
Frk
AA
Amadio
Andersson
Moore
Wagner
Luff

I think we offer Maatta, but if they need a foward AA or Lizotte seem to be logical for them. Moore is really growing on me, would like to keep him around for PK duties and bottom 6 energy bridge player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Kingz4life

Feb 7, 2004
Los Angeles
So much can change between now and the draft, but if we really want to keep our D core intact we can go with:

Protetced Defensmen:
Doughty-Roy-Walker-Strand-Clague

Maatta
MacDermid
Moverare

Possible D lineup next year:
Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Clague - Walker
Strand\Maatta

Protected Forwards:
Kopitar-Kempe-Grundstrom (Hoping that Iafallo signs with us after the expansion draft)

Brown
Carter
Lizotte
Frk
AA
Amadio
Andersson
Moore
Wagner
Luff

I think we offer Maatta, but if they need a foward AA or Lizotte seem to be logical for them. Moore is really growing on me, would like to keep him around for PK duties and bottom 6 energy bridge player.
This is EXACTLY what I would do at the moment. Lizotte is the most likely player lost at the moment IMO.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I know it's approaching irrationality to think this way, but I would understand if Brown were protected.

Honestly, I'd personally flip out if Seattle took him. I'd hate them more than Vegas and San Jose.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I know it's approaching irrationality to think this way, but I would understand if Brown were protected.

Honestly, I'd personally flip out if Seattle took him. I'd hate them more than Vegas and San Jose.

Same, but logic will end up winning out - Kings won't protect a 36 year old with a year left on his deal. And Seattle won't take a 36 year old with a year left on his deal.

...or will they?

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
There is no way they take a 37 year old, 5.5 million dollar 1 year contract who might retire if they do...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I no longer have any idea who the Kings need to protect. Thankfully, they just lose 1 guy.

:laugh: pretty much.

Every time I sit down to think about the protected list

1*rjfhA3w2QA0udh0K_fbbBw.jpeg

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
If you look at it rationally, if the Kings were an expansion team would you be happy with them if they picked a 36 year old with one of their picks? Unless they 36 year old was named Gretzky or Lemieux.

I mean they already did that over picks when they first started out and we saw how well that turned out.

Reactions: BigBrown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad