Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
Thanks for that! Two things:

(1) I had never even heard of Auger, Loverde, Schilling, and Troutman before now (guess I must've been starting off into space while those players got TOI - but doesn't Manchester/Ontario time count for eligibility purposes? That would explain it); and,

(2) This is the first I'd seen/heard that they exposed Clifford and Campbell. Nice job by Blake being able to parlay expansion draft-bait into decent returns a couple of years later...

Reactions: Lt Dan

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't think they need to submit the list until next month.

"Each NHL franchise, minus the Vegas Golden Knights, will have until July 17, 2020, to submit their protection list."

https://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-expansion-draft-date-details/

EDIT: It is kinda f***ed up that this franchise has been years in the making and then they're like "Here's your lists, you have 4 days to choose". Seems ridiculously compressed for no reason.
I agree but they will have a pretty good idea of what the lists will be. There will be the odd either/or scenario that they will plan for but there won’t be that many surprises for them. That said 4 days is nonsense.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
excerpt from the athletic Seattle Kraken mock expansion draft 7.0: What the 32nd NHL team may look like in October

Los Angeles Kings

Clark: Kale Clague could prove to be an interesting option in that he is a pending UFA who could give the Kraken even more depth on the back end. But the idea he could be more than that is what makes taking him tempting.

Duhatschek: Blake Lizotte. Pesky, mosquito-like qualities in a small, high-energy package, and versatile enough to kill penalties. A decent role player at the NHL level.

Luszczyszyn: Kale Clague. A whole lot of nothing available, so again, I’m going with pedigree. Clague doesn’t seem like a good defender at all, but there’s offensive upside to his game so why not?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
excerpt from the athletic Seattle Kraken mock expansion draft 7.0: What the 32nd NHL team may look like in October

Los Angeles Kings

Clark: Kale Clague could prove to be an interesting option in that he is a pending UFA who could give the Kraken even more depth on the back end. But the idea he could be more than that is what makes taking him tempting.

Duhatschek: Blake Lizotte. Pesky, mosquito-like qualities in a small, high-energy package, and versatile enough to kill penalties. A decent role player at the NHL level.

Luszczyszyn: Kale Clague. A whole lot of nothing available, so again, I’m going with pedigree. Clague doesn’t seem like a good defender at all, but there’s offensive upside to his game so why not?

Dom hate the Kings

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Dom bro!

xjdxnxfr4z871.jpg

goro-vin-diesel-family-meme_1767782_20210707150309.jpg

paagtex4g6971.jpg

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
My guess is Grundstrom and Andersson out of the bubble guys will be protected. Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, Arvidsson, and Moore are set. With our defensemen being young it's not a problem protecting 3. I would think AA or Clague will be the goner, but Maatta is only 26 and has played well everywhere but LA.

There's this weird perception on a lot of sites now that the Kings are no longer full of cap space with the pickup of Arvidsson, probably because we are middle of the pack at Capfriendly now and that's all they look at. I read that in several expansion draft previews and they were stating that Blake has to be careful after that signing. Yeah, we only have 14.5 million or so in cap space, but our RFA's are AA, Moore and Matt fricken Luff.

I'm really curious to see what Colorado does here. They would be dumb not to go with 7 forwards, so that leaves Graves as the obvious Seattle pick. They have 25.5M in projected cap after EJ and Francouz come back. They have 8 UFAs, including Landeskog and Grubauer, and 3 RFA's including Jost and Makar. So what do you do? Risk not resigning Landeskog and Grubauer until after the draft to get a better idea? Someone would throw crazy $$$ at GL. Do you toss in an asset to get Seattle to take Donskoi or Compher? That's best case for them I think, but it would have to be one hell of an asset.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
My guess is Grundstrom and Andersson out of the bubble guys will be protected. Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, Arvidsson, and Moore are set. With our defensemen being young it's not a problem protecting 3. I would think AA or Clague will be the goner, but Maatta is only 26 and has played well everywhere but LA.

There's this weird perception on a lot of sites now that the Kings are no longer full of cap space with the pickup of Arvidsson, probably because we are middle of the pack at Capfriendly now and that's all they look at. I read that in several expansion draft previews and they were stating that Blake has to be careful after that signing. Yeah, we only have 14.5 million or so in cap space, but our RFA's are AA, Moore and Matt fricken Luff.

I'm really curious to see what Colorado does here. They would be dumb not to go with 7 forwards, so that leaves Graves as the obvious Seattle pick. They have 25.5M in projected cap after EJ and Francouz come back. They have 8 UFAs, including Landeskog and Grubauer, and 3 RFA's including Jost and Makar. So what do you do? Risk not resigning Landeskog and Grubauer until after the draft to get a better idea? Someone would throw crazy $$$ at GL. Do you toss in an asset to get Seattle to take Donskoi or Compher? That's best case for them I think, but it would have to be one hell of an asset.
Seattle wants Jost to go with a bad contract(EJ) and to stay away from Graves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad