Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Whoever we lose, it's not the end of the world. Even if we lost Clague or Walker, we would survive.

Maybe we trade Seattle our third round pick to take Maatta or Lizotte over Clague or Strand though. If Maatta keeps playing well, they may want him anyway.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Some on the Seattle board (probably just stat watching) has concluded that Quick has performed poorly this season, and would rather draft:

Jones :huh: who has 1 more extra year at twice the actual cash with worse stats that Quick this season so far?

Reactions: Lt Dan

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
So for the expansion draft does Seattle just turn in a list of names or are teams notified before it becomes official? Like you know who they are picking from your team before it’s official.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
So for the expansion draft does Seattle just turn in a list of names or are teams notified before it becomes official? Like you know who they are picking from your team before it’s official.

I'd have to think teams and agents are notified prior to the list becoming official.

Then names will start to leak out to the public like the Vegas expansion. We were hearing names of players selected well before the official announcement later that day which I think was at the NHL awards show? I might be wrong on that.

To be honest, I would leave Kopitar exposed in the expansion draft. He's going to have 3 more years left at $10 million per season and he is going to be 34 at the start of next season. Go ahead Seattle, take him if you wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think what should happen is that LA should protect Brown and then re-sign him for 3 years at around 4 mil per.
Jeebus. Even if he’s crushing it out there, you have to go on a year by year basis with a guy who’ll be 37 when his deal runs out. Father Time can hit him literally at anytime.

I wouldn’t even have advocated extending Brown after the first 5 games year. But it’s impossible to argue with his results. We’ll see after next year.

Reactions: Telos and Piston

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Some on the Seattle board (probably just stat watching) has concluded that Quick has performed poorly this season, and would rather draft:

Jones :huh: who has 1 more extra year at twice the actual cash with worse stats that Quick this season so far?

If SEA selects Jones in expansion draft, the whole Krakken brain trust show be fired. :nod:

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I’m oscillating on this now - I wouldnt be surprised if Seattle took Brown or similar players with expiring contracts with the idea that they can flip said player at the deadline. If they pull a Vegas and are in playoff contention, then they already have what they need.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I’m oscillating on this now - I wouldnt be surprised if Seattle took Brown or similar players with expiring contracts with the idea that they can flip said player at the deadline. If they pull a Vegas and are in playoff contention, then they already have what they need.
So, if Brown goes to SEA, does his NTC go with him? It looks like he can submit a list of 7 teams he’d approve to go to. This could really limit SEA’s ability to gain a good pick for him. He could easily choose 7 teams that are out of playoff contention.

Reactions: tbrown33

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
So, if Brown goes to SEA, does his NTC go with him? It looks like he can submit a list of 7 teams he’d approve to go to. This could really limit SEA’s ability to gain a good pick for him. He could easily choose 7 teams that are out of playoff contention.

true, forgot about that

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Wasn't that the original gameplan in vegas but then they were good.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
To be honest, I would leave Kopitar exposed in the expansion draft. He's going to have 3 more years left at $10 million per season and he is going to be 34 at the start of next season. Go ahead Seattle, take him if you wish.

They will definitely take him if he's exposed. It'd be the opposite of taking Jones.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yikes. So your take is leave the Kings most elite forward, still performing at peak levels, who is currently in the top 10 in the NHL in scoring, should be given away for free?

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Yikes. So your take is leave the Kings most elite forward, still performing at peak levels, who is currently in the top 10 in the NHL in scoring, should be given away for free?
Can Kopitar even be left unprotected
I that he had a NMC

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't think they need to submit the list until next month.

"Each NHL franchise, minus the Vegas Golden Knights, will have until July 17, 2020, to submit their protection list."

https://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-expansion-draft-date-details/

EDIT: It is kinda f***ed up that this franchise has been years in the making and then they're like "Here's your lists, you have 4 days to choose". Seems ridiculously compressed for no reason.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The last week and a half of July is hectic:
Key Dates (from LAKingsInsider)
July 17 – Protected Lists Submitted
July 21 – Seattle Expansion Draft
July 23 & 24 – 2021 NHL Draft
July 26 – Qualifying Offers Due for Restricted Free Agents*
July 28 – Free Agency Opens
*Per CapFriendly
I knew I saw that list somewhere. I don’t get why the NHL makes this stuff so hard to find. Thanks.

Reactions: Basilisk

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Does the NHL release the lists? And when?
They could keep it private. Each team gives the list to the NHL office . They review to verify the list meets the rules and sends to Seattle. That way players don’t know they weren’t protected and saves them embarrassment or hurt feelings

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Does the NHL release the lists? And when?
They could keep it private. Each team gives the list to the NHL office . They review to verify the list meets the rules and sends to Seattle. That way players don’t know they weren’t protected and saves them embarrassment or hurt feelings
Pretty sure in the past lists have been public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad